Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are not, but ok revert to 3yrs.... still a complete waste of money.

There is a reason he still does not have a club.

Awful player
Awful stats

He has a goal or assist evry 3.5 games. Thats along the lines of many of our and many other attackers, and Pienaar when playing for us.

I'm not wanting to argue with other fans, but I see some value in taking players like this.

If we had millions and millions to spend, my thoughs would be different.

So 3/5 of those are still affective parts of our squad.

You are proving my point.

They serve a purpose.
Townsend is broken. Rondon can't even get a start when we have literally zero other strikers on our books. Gray has been crap for the most part, but there's a chance we could recoup our cash on him at some point so that MAY turn out to be a value deal in the loosest possible sense.

Cheap/free does NOT necessarily equal "good value". Januzaj, beyond his initial mini-burst onto the scene at United, pulled up no trees at all in this country. He went abroad and ended up as a bit part player for a middling Spanish team. I doubt his wages are insignificant and I highly, highly doubt he'd be able to do a single thing of note for us all season, so where this "value" comes from I have no idea.

Don't like Januzaj at all, never progressed at all in his career since he was at United. Maybe consider it on a 2/3 deal on very low wages but that's not gonna happen. If a player is only 27 and is still a free agent when the season has already started that almost says enough about him really, if he was any good he'd have been picked up by loads of teams, look at Forest for example, if he was still good enough for the league they'd probably have snapped him up as one of their first signings, like they did with Lingard.

You could apply that to all the payers we are after....and even the ones we have signed....if they are that good, why no better team that Everton after them.

Well, more so the other 2, Gray & Townsend.

But, Rondon as 3rd/4th choice striker....is it that bad ??

He did well when he come on against Villa, won every header, looks much better.
No goals. Might as well be carved into Rondon's headstone.

Remember when Gray scored a couple of goals and the Benitez-love brigade told us he was better than James Rodriguez? And when Richarlison had a lean spell and looked a bit moody and the same muppets claimed that we already had his replacement in Townsend?

They don't represent value they represent downgrades.

A less than comprehensive list of "no/low risk" transfers we've made in recent years:

Bernard
Sandro
Townsend
Gray
Rondon
I agree with you on comparing Januzaj to these but if fair is fair I think Townsend was actually a decent signing for us and would still be good for the squad if he didn't get that injury, I also think Rondon would be seen as a lot better of a signing if he wasn't relied on so heavily last season, he's a perfectly good last 15 minutes option from the bench but should never really be starting, especially multiple games in a row. Gray also showed that he can be decent but if there was an option to get rid and replace him I'd be taking it.

Between the 3 of them too I don't think they'd be on high wages either so that's a plus I suppose, he other 2 were disasters on and off the ptich though in fairness.

Onana box to box
Gana running around tackling everyone

I think we still need to go with a deeper midfielder like a Garner or Gilmour...and a more attack minded player like MGW/Gallagher.

Have some options then.

I undersrand why we want Gana and it makes perfect sense...but id rather we had gone for Garner.

Haven’t seen anything of Garner personally to say if he is worth going after but I think Lampard/Thelwell are thinking that any remaining signings need to be relatively low risk options and for that reason, I think we will go for someone more proven like Gana as a short term fix

We don't seem to have had the slightest encouragement from Chelsea on Broja, so if he is the "main" forward target, then I hope we have other irons in the fire. I would be skeptical now as to our chances of signing one forward before Sept 1st, let alone two.

The Gordon talk will rumble on as well, so it is shaping up to be one heck of a deadline day. Hopefully we will come out the right side, not doing so doesn't bear thinking about.

I agree with you on comparing Januzaj to these but if fair is fair I think Townsend was actually a decent signing for us and would still be good for the squad if he didn't get that injury, I also think Rondon would be seen as a lot better of a signing if he wasn't relied on so heavily last season, he's a perfectly good last 15 minutes option from the bench but should never really be starting, especially multiple games in a row. Gray also showed that he can be decent but if there was an option to get rid and replace him I'd be taking it.

Between the 3 of them too I don't think they'd be on high wages either so that's a plus I suppose, he other 2 were disasters on and off the ptich though in fairness.
Townsend is the best on that list by a mile, I agree. From a value perspective, though, we were never going to be able to sell him for a profit worthy of "good value" status so we were relying on his on-field contributions justifying our wage outlay. As it turns out he did ok for a bit and then got knackered. History will view it as a bad transfer when he leaves, however much bad luck was a factor.

You could apply that to all the payers we are after....and even the ones we have signed....if they are that good, why no better team that Everton after them.
Well no not really in my opinion. Most of the players we've been after would probably all be happy to stay at their current clubs or might have other options. We picked up Tarkowski for free when there were at least 2 or 3 other clubs after him and that was all before pre season even started, for example. Most players that we're after will either be sold to a different club or stay where they are and play, like Maupay who we're after, he could stay at Brighton or go to Fulham if he doesn't go to us.

Januzaj has been a free agent for 2 months, he'd have been able to negotiate with other clubs freely with the last 8 months. If someone hasn't taken a punt on him yet it either means he's asking for far too much and isn't worth it or else he's really unwanted by most clubs, I imagine it's probably a bit of a mix between the 2.

No goals. Might as well be carved into Rondon's headstone.

Remember when Gray scored a couple of goals and the Benitez-love brigade told us he was better than James Rodriguez? And when Richarlison had a lean spell and looked a bit moody and the same muppets claimed that we already had his replacement in Townsend?

They don't represent value they represent downgrades.

Ah so players can only be 2 things ?? Better than James & Richarlison.....or utter dross and not worth it.

The truth is in the middle.

It IS ok to have players that are 'just good players'.....why the need to go bi-polar on every single player!!!

Maybe, just maybe we need a squad of players that offer different things, and dont all cost a fortune.

5 subs.....5 subs means we need real options....not just kids that you will all booo when they dont turn Messi performances in every week.

Townsend is the best on that list by a mile, I agree. From a value perspective, though, we were never going to be able to sell him for a profit worthy of "good value" status so we were relying on his on-field contributions justifying our wage outlay. As it turns out he did ok for a bit and then got knackered. History will view it as a bad transfer when he leaves, however much bad luck was a factor.
That's probably true, although all in all I don't think it'll be seen as a bad transfer. Low wages, decent return for a few months and got incredibly unlucky with a bad injury. In Moshiri's era here I'd say there's probably a good 15 or 20 transfers that are comfortably worse, I'm pulling that number out of my arse and honestly don't want to check because I fear it might actually be more and that'd get me on the bottle a 2pm on a Wednesday.

:pint2:lol

Ah so players can only be 2 things ?? Better than James & Richarlison.....or utter dross and not worth it.

The truth is in the middle.

It IS ok to have players that are 'just good players'.....why the need to go bi-polar on every single player!!!

Maybe, just maybe we need a squad of players that offer different things, and dont all cost a fortune.

5 subs.....5 subs means we need real options....not just kids that you will all booo when they dont turn Messi performances in every week.
No, the truth isn't in the middle. If you sell good players and replace them with worse players you get worse as a team. It's not rocket science. The job of a DoF is to identify players that can improve us. Yes, there is risk, yes, some players won't work out but it has been clear as day for some years now that we are on a downward trajectory and that the players that you claim "represent value" were poor signings that were always going to make us worse. This isn't hindsight, this forum is jam packed full of people pointing out that Rondon, Townsend and Gray were downgrades. It was obvious from the start.

Status
Not open for further replies.