2022/23 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Gordon is a really good player.
His work rate is unreal. Gets back and tackles. Takes the game to the opposition. His only downfall is he tries to do too much and final ball at times
Grealish has great skill but I prefer Gordon as he offers a bit of everything.
Opinions mate
Tries to do too much? What, like checking back inside and rolling it back to Mykolenko?

Honestly, i have to question what im actually seeing sometimes with the way people tell tall tales of all the magical stuff hes done. Id love to see a highlight reel of stuff that hes done, for the Everton 1st team, not U23s, not England U21s. It would be the 1 goal hes actually scored vs Brighton, followed by an endless succession of clips of him knocking it down the line and sprinting after it, and invariably throwing himself to the floor. Oh and that cross for Branthwaiths goal.

I think Gordon is a really good player.
His work rate is unreal. Gets back and tackles. Takes the game to the opposition. His only downfall is he tries to do too much and final ball at times
Grealish has great skill but I prefer Gordon as he offers a bit of everything.
Opinions mate
Interesting take, I've been a fan of Grealish for years, but I actually think he was better at Villa.
At City, who have a higher standard he isn't standing out like he used too.

Tries to do too much? What, like checking back inside and rolling it back to Mykolenko?

Honestly, i have to question what im actually seeing sometimes with the way people tell tall tales of all the magical stuff hes done. Id love to see a highlight reel of stuff that hes done, for the Everton 1st team, not U23s, not England U21s. It would be the 1 goal hes actually scored vs Brighton, followed by an endless succession of clips of him knocking it down the line and sprinting after it, and invariably throwing himself to the floor. Oh and that cross for Branthwaiths goal.
His highlight reels are impressive to be fair
Anyway Conte, Howe, Tuchel and Pep rate him very highly.
I’d listen to them more than most opinions tbh

A) We absolutely should not be selling Gordon!

B) It's a fantastic offer and that money could REALLY help us?

C) Help us, what, get a player like Gordon?

D) Well..yes but also other players as well!

etcetc

Nobody is changing their mind here.

You are though. You’ve literally called him world class and one of the best young players in Europe and then when someone says well why doesn’t he produce at that level you laugh as if they’re the ones saying the mad stuff. It’s honestly quite weird.

I think there are things taken out of context a bit there mate.

I have not said he is currently world class, literally or otherwise, I have said he has the potential to be, and that is why Chelsea are paying what they are. In Chelsea's eyes, he is already priced in at one of the best young talents in Europe. They are just points of order.

The discussion points I raise are not really about people saying hes not currently world class. I dont think hes world class currently. It is people saying he isnt good enough to be in our squad, hes below championship standard, hes the same level as Nketia etc. If that were the case, why dont Chelsea, or Tottenham, or Newcastle just go and buy Nketia, or a random championship player?

The standard is now being set, that unless he scores more goals than Foden, hes not good enough. In said post I've taken issue with that. It's a ridiculous expectation level. Even if he were the best 21 year old winger in the world, he would probably struggle to do that. I'm not sure why that equates to me thinking hes world class? It just seems an effort to try and deflect from an expectation level that is not realistic.

I kind of understand it. People are worried we wont get the players in we need, understandably have no faith in the club and see a big potential fee, potentially being lost which would prevent us doing so. I understand the concern, and the anger, but its being misdirected. Primarily, that has nothing to do with Gordon. He remains a young academy graduate, who ideally needs to show improvement, and can still do so and be well behind what Foden has done.

But also frankly towards me. It is irrelevant even if I did view him as a world class player (not just a player who could be world class/excellent). I dont make the decisions either way, if people.are frustrated that needs to be directed at the decision makers.

I try to avoid it as it's not really helpful and in honesty it's not how I view it, but objectively I've already been proven correct on Gordon. I have said pretty consistently if he was made available top clubs would be interested in him and that he would go for a sizeable fee (I think I said above 30m, but specifics are not crucial here). A lot of the people who seem to want to deride him made out this had no chance of happening, as hes not very good, had no potential to improve so was an impossibility. They were half right, if their assessment of Gordon was accurate, it would have been impossible. But that's the obvious if.

But anyway, a bit long verbose from me. I dont think Gordon is world class currently, I think he has potential to become world class, and the market is pricing him as that, and as one of the most talented European young players. My own view, as stated consistently, is that we should take the cash. On a risk/reward basis, I like the insurance payment now on the basis hes not going to achieve it, particularly if he stays here, as our record is not so great in that area.

I'm much less indifferent to it. He's got to be so much better if he stays and I'm just not that confident in it.

The thing is, he hasnt got to be much better if he stays. Hes probably our best all round attacker already, and will likely get better still.

If people at the top of the club want to make decisions on him, that's on them. It has nothing to do with the player, who's job it is to keep improving incrementally.

I’m going to put this out there: no way is this bloke worth 45m next year.
Helped one of the worst Everton sides escape relegation whilst he needed an environment to develop. Everton was gone without, Gordon, Iwobi and Pickford. We are still one of the worst teams in the league and will likely be in a relegation fight. Gordon will succeed with competent or even semi competent footballers around him.

Status
Not open for further replies.