2024/25 Relegation Thread

I dont think there's a danger of that. He's a good man-manager. Tarkowski won't allow that to happen and he's very influential...as is Coleman who also supports Dyche.

We dont have to worry about players tanking games to get shut of Dyche. They'll give him everything they've got.
I saw nothing like that today in that first 80 minutes. They looked very motivated

At least from the highlights Southampton are doing an incredible impersonation of Burnley, so naive they way they're trying to play out against experienced prem teams.

They had some bad defeats early on last season but the quality in championship means you get a run of games where you can quickly improve, that dosen't happen in the prem.

no game is easy tho mate
Except for teams fortunate enough to play against Sean ‘gaffer days’ Dyche.
2 goals down without a sniff of a chance in 85 minutes, no worries lads, we’ll let you score 3.
That Ndiaye been causing you some problems? I’ll take him off.
You’re worried we’re seeing more of the ball in your half? Ok, I’ll bring on 2 lads who can’t control the ball.
You want to score from wide areas? Can sort that- I’ve got a 35 year old right back who is clearly knackered, but I’ll leave him on against your pacy substitute.

For a few years now, it’s felt like if Everton Football Club is given a decision to make with two possible options, one really good and the other really bad, Everton will choose the really bad one nine times out of ten.

We’re running out of wiggle room to accommodate any more of these bad decisions, and the consequences are increasingly grave. The club is staring relegation in the face, with a crippling amount of debt around its neck. The owner is AFK, all attempts to sell the club are a shambles.

I’m praying that somebody competent takes us over soon, and actually has a plan, because otherwise relegation is more a matter of when rather than if.

Still difficult to say with the new sides as it does take time to bed in, especially with lots of new players.
Ipswich were never getting anything from Man City and Liverpool, just like 2/3 of the league wouldn’t, so a bit unfair to judge there.

I am getting more Forest / Bournemouth vibes from two seasons a go than Luton / Sheff Utd from the newcomers though. I think the awfulness of last seasons three promoted sides has lulled a lot of people into a false sense of security, but Luton / Sheff Utd, who seemed to do very little to bolster their squads at the start, were clearly out of their depth from the get go. Burnley perhaps could’ve done better with a less stubborn manager who was more interested in playing style than actually getting points. I think the 3 sides last year only managed 1 win between them in something like the first 10 matches, so we’re pretty far from that point yet.

Southampton look exactly like Burnley so not worried by them at all.

I do think Ipswich will pull off some surprise results as the season goes on, got some pace and directness in final third which will cause teams problems at any level. Their strikers are scoring aswell. Mind you so did Luton's and they hit the wall from February so it's a long season.

Leicester got plenty of experience in their ranks now signing Oliver Skipp, Ayew and Eduaord and looks like Cooper's going for the same scrapping style that kept Forest up so they're the big danger but points deduction could easily knacker them.

I do think Ipswich will pull off some surprise results as the season goes on, got some pace and directness in final third which will cause teams problems at any level. Their strikers are scoring aswell. Mind you so did Luton's and they hit the wall from February so it's a long season.

Leicester got plenty of experience in their ranks now signing Oliver Skipp, Ayew and Eduaord and looks like Cooper's going for the same scrapping style that kept Forest up so they're the big danger but points deduction could easily knacker them.
Skip and ayew and eduaord are poor players.

They’ll get a points deduction too.

They were largely playing crap football against us today, but have a certain style of kicking lumps out of anyone dangerous whilst being quick on the break.

The likes of Skipp and Ayew are the reason they're not a good team. They're also the reason they're not a terrible one either.

Skip and ayew and eduaord are poor players.

They’ll get a points deduction too.

Just having a look on their forum, they rate Bilal El Khannouss who's a 20 year old attacking midfield they've signed from Genk. Would imagine he and Buonanotte will be starting for them after the break.

Leicester will win a few games but the big unknown is the points deduction and how they react once it drops.

It might not seem like it now, but there are positives to take from today's game. We just need to believe in our club. Goodison's story does NOT end with relegation.

My missus, who is from Bournemouth, said "we (Bournemouth) had only one attempt until 87 minutes. Everton deserved all 3 points."

The Bournemouth manager said the same on match of the day this evening.

It might not seem like it now, but there are positives to take from today's game. We just need to believe in our club. Goodison's story does NOT end with relegation.

My missus, who is from Bournemouth, said "we (Bournemouth) had only one attempt until 87 minutes. Everton deserved all 3 points."

The Bournemouth manager and others were simply showing how classy they are. Decent people.

But make no mistake: we panicked and imploded at the first hint of danger because we haven't a single leader on the pitch, nor one in the dugout, nor one on the board.

A rudderless ship that deserves Championship football.

People are fed up holding on to hold on. We've stayed up by the skin of our teeth three years running. We were told we had to so that the takeover could make things better. Well, here we are for the fourth straight season. How many failed takeovers is it now?

Sooner we drop the better. The leadership of this club deserves it.

At least when we go down, a true rebirth where winning is expected again must happen if we are to earn promotion. That will help clear the air of fetid decay and acceptance that has infested this dead club.

How can you take positives from a capitulation like that ?

If that's how we are going to react to the slightest hint of pressure, then no lead is ever gonna be safe.

If anything today shows how much trouble we are in. We played well and still couldn't win. How are we going to get results when we aren't playing well.

I think a big difference with Burnley is that Southampton are more ruthless and unlikely to stick with the manager if he doesn’t produce. Southampton see themselves as a team, rightly or wrongly, that should be in the top tier, while Burnley acted like they were eternally grateful to Kompany getting them back up, somehow making him untouchable. Honestly I can’t think of a worse managerial performance to not result in a sacking.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back