<3 Everton FFS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tubey

Allardyce Out
With the season now basically over, I just want to type some nonsense about how I feel about Everton.

This time last year, I was massively conflicted. I wanted David Moyes out, but I had no answer for who I wanted in. "Anyone" was basically my answer, but if we'd hired Allardyce or Hughes or someone I would have been devastated. I just knew that the club deserved better than self-serving Mr. Knife to a Gunfight. I don't mindlessly hate anyone, and I mean that. I felt bloody weird about disliking Moyes as I freely acknowledge that I loved the guy for saving us after the Walter Smith era and the almost certainty of relegation, and I remember crying with my brother in the lower Gwladys for his first game when we put away Fulham with limited players like David Unsworth. I backed him to the hilt for his first five years as he was absolutely incredible. Despite the garbage I'll type on here, I'll always respect him for that job he did.

But this season, when we hired Martinez, I genuinely feared the worst. But thank Dixie this guy gets us. I love football and I badly needed a season like this to make me fall in love with Everton again. The School of Science is back open and it's the best I've felt since the Dogs of War defined what being an Evertonian is all about - fight, passion and belief, even when everyone else writes you off, like David feckin' James on ESPN in August.

So thank you Martinez for making me feel good about being a Blue again - I hated being negative about my beloved Everton and it's great to be raving about the sexy togger we're putting out there.

COYB - league title challenge next year, why the hell not eh!?

If Martinez is backed properly by the club, there is no limit to what he can achieve IMO.

5th in his first season is pretty awesome.

This sums up this season and Martinez for me,

When Moyes cleared off
all the pundits said the Toffees would drop
but we went to Wigan fc
and we got Bobby
and his brown shoes babe.

Roberto had a dream
to build our football team
we had no money
so we signed the players on loan
we played from the back
we've Ross in attack
the School of Science is on its way back

These two songs show that the smile is back on our faces and it is not hope now, it is expectations. Martinez has got us believing again and made watching us an absolute pleasure.

It is like a cloud has been lifted from over Goodison and the sun is shining. Yes, there will be some days when it is raining, teeming down, but Martinez's positivity has rubbed off on us supporters. We are now arguing/discussing/talking about how to get to the next level from a position were we think we are boss.

Someone put something on one of the threads along the lines that Martinez said that he loves the challenge of training and coaching a team to take on those that have much bigger budgets than us. That is what excites him.

We are a perfect fit for Martinez and he is a perfect fit for us. The School of Science is on its way back.

Last edited:
I'm starting to feel excited about next season, but then I realise its always the same at this time of year. Usually we are let down with a lack of funds to take the next step.

I'm starting to feel excited about next season, but then I realise its always the same at this time of year. Usually we are let down with a lack of funds to take the next step.

For the last four seasons I've honestly expected sixth at best. This is something different. We may push on to 3rd/4th or push beyond to a title challenge, or hell, we may drop to 9th, but at least it's exciting. We have a manager who wants to go beyond rather than preserve, and that's something to applaud.

For the last four seasons I've honestly expected sixth at best. This is something different. We may push on to 3rd/4th or push beyond to a title challenge, or hell, we may drop to 9th, but at least it's exciting. We have a manager who wants to go beyond rather than preserve, and that's something to applaud.

Totally agree, but how many seasons before the lack of backing breaks Martinez's spirit?? I reckon he will spend money this summer, but that will be it for a while. Or, we might be saving cash for the stadium to use as an excuse for another negative net spend.

Crucial summer for the club. We back teh manager with cash and carry on the progress or we don't and stagnate like we did post 2009

Totally agree, but how many seasons before the lack of backing breaks Martinez's spirit?? I reckon he will spend money this summer, but that will be it for a while. Or, we might be saving cash for the stadium to use as an excuse for another negative net spend.

We'll see. There's certainly an argument to say that happened to Moyes, but benefit of the doubt applies, especially given Moyes' eventual ego problem which certainly came into play from 2011 onwards at the very least. If Martinez continues his current trajectory of success he'll either be Premier League champion as Everton manager or Barcelona boss, and either way I wouldn't begrudge him.

Crucial summer for the club. We back teh manager with cash and carry on the progress or we don't and stagnate like we did post 2009

We didn't stagnate due to funds, as Moyes was a genius in the transfer market. We stagnated because the manager was content to sit on his laurels and soak up the plaudits for "punching above his weight".

Status
Not open for further replies.