6 + 2 Point Deductions

From The Athletic today. A survey of "PL fans".

1000011185.png

1000011186.png

IF points are going to be rescinded, it needs to be done ASAP otherwise there is going to be an almighty ruckus come, say, late March or April and suddenly we are given back some or all the deducted points. Teams that thought they were safe would be dragged back in to the relegation scrap.

What a mess … and a farce

Not that I trust the PL to get anything right but any compo would SURELY have to be exempt from that year's PSR calculation otherwise one single breach would just turn into a death spiral. We've already been punished in two ways- the direct sporting effect of the points plus the financial effect of the points in terms of prize money if not relegation.

Compensation on top is already getting into something morally and possibly legally unjustifiable but a FOURTH punishment of that compensation counting towards PSR and possibly restarting the loop again would be just unbelievable. And all this is designed to help clubs be MORE sustainable!
I know that the FFP fine city paid did come out of their allowance, so I’d assume the sane here.

May be wrong though

I am not going to re read the commissions Written reasons but didn’t they talk around the possible knock on in terms of other charges being applicable if the one charge against Everton was proven ?
If my memory is right then it’s unlikely that if City get found guilty of their 115 charges I am not so sure that other charges around FFP specific breeches will follow.
Just to throw something really interesting into the pot it was suggested to me that Chelsea might not be charged but the PL might well be looking toward an agreed settlement mainly justified because of the fact that Chelsea self notified and if any “ Everton “level of penalty is forthcoming through a commission then any sort of self reporting will in effect be discouraged going forward.

That would cause absolute murder, because Everton also self notified.

How would you vote, as an everton fan, if this was happening to a different PL club?
If (big IF) I had bothered to read the report, and had a cursory awareness of previous punishments, there is no other conclusion possible other than it being entirely arbitrary and harsh. But some punishment is warranted.

Most fans when it comes down to it can see through the “noise”. Same as there has been total agreement that Wolves have been properly shafted out of about 6 points already this season. If they get dragged into danger it’s disgusting.

Reading the BBC comments section just highlights that fans of other clubs haven’t read the report or studied the facts. Which is totally understandable and would be a bit weird if they all had.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back