Homepage Article 7 Points After Seven

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrandOldTeam

Staff member
New article on the home page from Edward Behan;

Any threads with the prefix 'Homepage Article' will often have thread comments put underneath that article, so any comments is always good to try and encourage more to write for us. We do struggle to attract writers.

….as posters know, I like a couple of benchmarks. More specifically;

Position after 10 games is often an indication of the section of the league a team will be in;
20 points at Christmas is a minimum requirement to avoid relegation battle. Sliding scale above and below is a terrific benchmark.

i suppose a point a game might put us on the cusp of safety given we play 38, so 7 out of 7 is just about ok.

Position after 10 games is often an indication of the section of the league a team will be in;
20 points at Christmas is a minimum requirement to avoid relegation battle. Sliding scale above and below is a terrific benchmark.

i suppose a point a game might put us on the cusp of safety given we play 38, so 7 out of 7 is just about ok.
Personally I think we’re below par. 3 points against forest and a draw at villa would see us were we should be IMO.

We'll only have fifteen games on the books on Christmas (sixteen if they work Arsenal back in prior) thanks to the World Cup, so we'll have to cross-compare a little later than we usually do. Those are both good indicators, though.

The quality of the opposition eases up a bit in the next month and a half, and the side's quality is headed in the right direction, so my guess would be that we'll be on a relatively comfortable points total come mid-November. I would think we'll collect ten or better from the next eight. Things could be a little uncomfortable a month from now, but we should pick up some wins from the softer run of fixtures right before the break.

7 points after 7 games, last season we had 14 at the same stage.
I remeber all the hissy fits last season after the 9th game, when we still had 14 points, if we beat both Southampton and Manchester United in our next two games, we will still be a point worse off then we were when we lost too Norwich last season.

7 points after 7 games, last season we had 14 at the same stage.
I remeber all the hissy fits last season after the 9th game, when we still had 14 points, if we beat both Southampton and Manchester United in our next two games, we will still be a point worse off then we were when we lost too Norwich last season.

….and it took us until February(or maybe later) to reach 20 points. A salutary lesson not to get carried away with an obviously appealing & obnoxious manager. Remember you getting all excited saying we’d get a record points total & saying we should all buy pillows with Benitez’s image on.

Considering the huge amount of overturn at the club, I am okay with this. If anything we have looked better than I expected and really just need to find some goal scoring.

We are creating chances and getting into dangerous positions. The defense looks promising as does the midfield. Pace to burn, etc.

Nothing much to argue with in the article. I think the delay in getting our transfer business done has cost us points but has also given us enough to be comfortable this season.

Attacking obviously needs to be improved but confidence and coaching will help that.

Good article, nice one.

I think if the board would have got another striker in sooner, we’d defo have more points, the return of Dominic Calvert-Lewin should help. We are playing much better football now.
Imagine defending corners with him joining Tarkowski, Onana, Coady, Iwobi. Gana sweeping the pockets, (usually the sector just inside the angle of the 18 yard area closest to the corner being taken from but more advanced than the 18 yard line) and having Gray and Gordon set to scamper on the break. Very solid in the air with enough bigger chaps to dominate more naturally.

Good positive write up. After getting our first win positivity is in us all. It is noticeable by the progress we can see on the pitch. The tightness of the defence, the midfield 100% better. We are making the correct steps by the look of it, not the finished article as of yet but experience and Youth working and helping each other. Bodes well

Status
Not open for further replies.