2021/22 Abdoulaye Doucouré

Status
Not open for further replies.
…two assists but it’s his energy and powers of recovery that make a difference. You run past him but he’s not out of the game, he has the running power to get back at you.

Possession isn’t his greatest strength, he’s in the team for other reasons but the pass to Gray showed terrific vision and a willingness to get his head up. Credit the Manager who encourages his wide midfielders to take up central positions when the ball is on the other wing (had Gray been stood on the touchline nobody would’ve thought anything about it).

I hold my hands up and say I've been critical of his passing and technical quality, yesterday proved me wrong! He did say last season he was playing more of a defensive role than he did at Watford maybe since rafas came on hes changed that

Watching him live made me realise just how much running he does on and off the ball. His work rate is exceptional. A player like this is invaluable and his slight technical flaws are forgiven.

Come on @BlueToff you know its true mate lol

Well I don't disagree, but James - as everyone likes to point out - didn't play every game last season, and the only games Doucoure scored in, was when James was playing (and James had a direct role in all of those goals bar the Man Utd one!)

So him being 'let off the leash' has much more to do with the manager, and also, a bit of bravery on Doucoure's part I think.

Now, Doucoure and James could absolutely play in the same time to good effect imo, but that would mean there being a three of Allan/Davies/Doucoure or Allan/Gbamin/Doucoure

Again, it's horses for courses.

Doucoure wasn't 'let off the leash' in the first hour yesterday. He was when we changed to a 4-3-3 and a system the players we had playing were actually comfortable with.

Great picture, EFC 2021

FB_IMG_1631804364369.jpg

Every time I watch his pass for the Gray goal it gets better.

From my angle inside the ground it looked like the most obvious pass to play in the world, but seeing the replays, he did really well to spot and execute that ball with a fair few Burnley bodies in between him and Gray.

Allan and Doucoure remind me of Barry and McCarthy from 13/14 season. Doucoure does all the running about whilst Allan sits himself in clever positions like Barry did. If only we had a number 10 who could do what Barkley did. Oh we do but we won't use him.

Monday was the first time I'd seen Doucoure live and I was so impressed with his work rate. If he keeps burst forward I'm sure he will add a few more goals this season than he did last.

If we choose not to play a number 10 Gbamin could be the 3rd midfielder and then we will have a very busy midfield.

Whatever happens he needs to be in the team as he really drives the team on.

Status
Not open for further replies.