Aiming for the Champions League? Damn Right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tubey

Allardyce Out
Roberto Martinez promised Bill Kenwright a run at the Champions League - and I for one applaud the ambition, and say it's about bloody time.

If there's one thing I won't miss about the Moyes era it's the non-stop pessimism. I grew tired and increasingly angry at the "plucky old Everton" tag that was exacerbated by a manager who "aimed for the 40 point mark" every season and "went from there".

This was regurgitated throughout the club. Last season, captain Phil Neville proudly declared that a top ten finish is a "massive achievement" for a club like Everton. I'm not going to lie, I pretty much despised Phil Neville, and that quote summed up why.

But that's been the mindset for a long, long time. In short, it's always been painted by the media that Moyes has done us a favour by sticking around as long as he did, and his failings as a manager - e.g. bottling it spectacularly whenever a game of note came about - were glossed over as "to be expected" because of limited funds or whatever excuse Sky or BBC decided to go to air with.

So to see Martinez come out and say he's going to give it a proper go is a massive breath of fresh air.

And why is it unrealistic? We've just finished 6th, after giving the Champions League qualification places a reasonable push for much of the season. And, thanks to Moyes (a genuine genius in the transfer market), we've got a talented squad full of players with great potential and good experience. We've got the best to come from the likes of Barkley, a developing superstar, and Jelavic, who may come good now he's working with a manager who knows how to use a striker. We've got assets in our squad worth many millions of pounds, and the extra TV money gives our new manager a chance to really push on.

Yes, it could all go tits up. Martinez could prove to be a terrible manager and we'll finish 10th or whatever. But isn't it refreshing to see a man who wants to be a winner; especially when set against Moyes, a man who simply did not want to be a loser. There's a difference.

It's going to be an interesting season. But one thing is for sure - whilst Martinez wasn't "my guy" as a managerial choice, the media can get f***ed with the way they're laughing at our new manager for dreaming of better.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum may be gone for the badge for the time being, but we still live it and breathe it.

Give it a go Bobby lad.

well in tubes, i never understood the 40 point mark, it wasn't even realistic for us to be relegtion candidates. i'm sure moyes didnt really think this, but it was still a hugely unsatisfying thing to hear about everton

The reaction to his claim was almost as pathetic as Kenwright's words in Martinez's press conference.

Up until around January time we were only 4 points adrift of 4th place and we spent a fair amount of time ahead of Arsenal too.

I'm not saying we'll make it, we probably won't. But I'm glad we've got a manager with a bit of ambition.

It was Kenwright who blurted out the CL football 'promise'. As RM said a few times in interview later on that day the 'dream' is CL football and it's his objective - a tough one given the cash other clubs have to play with.

He's got to get us into Europe in the first couple of seasons in charge, no question, and that'll be via the EL. But this Kenwright quote mustn't be used as a stick to beat him with.

Let's just see if this sentence Martinez said in an interview for a job that was made public by his chairman, the man charged with choosing the new man, actually yields results.

Until then, it's all talk.

It was Kenwright who blurted out the CL football 'promise'. As RM said a few times in interview later on that day the 'dream' is CL football and it's his objective - a tough one given the cash other clubs have to play with.

He's got to get us into Europe in the first couple of seasons in charge, no question, and that'll be via the EL. But this Kenwright quote mustn't be used as a stick to beat him with.

True, european qualification and a good cup run next year will be a great achievement!

True, european qualification and a good cup run next year will be a great achievement!

A very good first season that'd be too. I'd be prepared to give him two seasons to judge him, tbh. He's going to have to turn the mindset of our squad around a fair bit from a counter attacking game to one based on possession. That's not happening overnight. We need to be patient.

Great post Tubey and sums my feelings up perfectly.

Pyschology is a huge part of sport, and 2 squads of similar ability can have wildly different levels of success if one has a winning confident attitude and the other doesn't.

I'm sure someone will point to the rs and laugh but its the arrogance and desire to win which has helped them win numerous trophies since we last did (superior squad did as well but they weren't that damn good yet still picked up trophies even when they were worse than us).

Aiming for and believing we can get 4th gives us more of a chance of doing so than hoping we can get enough points over 40 to get 4th.

A very good first season that'd be too. I'd be prepared to give him two seasons to judge him, tbh. He's going to have to turn the mindset of our squad around a fair bit from a counter attacking game to one based on possession. That's not happening overnight. We need to be patient.

You think the current team is a counter attacking one? Really?

I think it's set up to hit teams on the flanks mate yes.

Yeah but we have no pace.

We work it to the flanks, sure, but we work it there really slowly with a lot of passes, rather than the one and two touch genuinely counter attacking stuff that say ronaldo's man u did or martinez' wigan did at goodison.

I would say if anything the transition is going to be from a possession based team to a counter attacking one.

Status
Not open for further replies.