2022/23 Alex Iwobi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep Garner definitely long term but Onana is a fantastic possession player. It's just merging that with his physical attributes.

Iwobi has provided this year. He's pretty high in the league for chance creation, vast majority of those from open play, and has six league assists, T4 in the league. He needs to score more - but same for all of our players. Compare that to Gordon who has no assists and has created fewer than 20 chances for example, and has lost the hard work ethic that actually made him decent last season.

We don't actually know that Iwobi is looking for £100k a week. it's all just rumours and right now we aren't looking at offering any new deals.

But I agree, we absolutely shouldn't pay over the odds and he shouldn't be who we rely on to create the majority of our chances.
Iwobi gets 5 or so goals a year if he plays in a position that allows him to shoot on his right foot from time to time. It's not a spectacular return but it's also not his main attribute. Combined with what he is doing it's enough.

I would have went there for Richarlison and (a fit) Dominic Calvert-Lewin (a couple of seasons ago) personally mate.
Nah as soon as they get in sight of that they're being overvalued and should be sold. Selling Richarlison was the right thing to do. We just messed up the rest of the transition.

We'll never agree on that mate, making the wrong decision > messing up the transition, its just the wrong decision.
You have to separate them out. They're different and independent things. Selling a player is not right or wrong because of how the replacement does.

Iwobi gets 5 or so goals a year if he plays in a position that allows him to shoot on his right foot from time to time. It's not a spectacular return but it's also not his main attribute. Combined with what he is doing it's enough.
He's scored over 5 goals once in his career across all competitions and not even hit 5 in any other seasons so you're honestly basing this on nothing.

Stop getting far too obsessed with this idea we have some incredible player just because he's playing RW.

He fits there because a) he works very hard for the team and keeps his shape and b) we have zero other options, which is unfortunate for him.

He also would be just as ineffective left side if he had no attacking LB making advanced runs beyond him and we don't have that. McNeil is better left wing, as evidenced every single time he's played there, and right now we need to get every single ounce we can out of all of our players.

He's scored over 5 goals once in his career across all competitions and not even hit 5 in any other seasons so you're honestly basing this on nothing.

Stop getting far too obsessed with this idea we have some incredible player just because he's playing RW.

He fits there because a) he works very hard for the team and keeps his shape and b) we have zero other options, which is unfortunate for him.

He also would be just as ineffective left side if he had no attacking LB making advanced runs beyond him and we don't have that. McNeil is better left wing, as evidenced every single time he's played there, and right now we need to get every single ounce we can out of all of our players.
McNeil is a garbage tier left wing and we need to stop defending his play over there

Richarlison HAD to be sold though. It's not that it was right or wrong, it had to happen. Which is what is the wrong thing in all of it.

I understand our finances mate, i don't accept he had to be sold, with a bit of competency we could have managed it. In hindsight and if it was an option we should have sold Gordon. Personally i think it was a woeful deal overall.

Personally i think the guiding thing was Richarlison wanted to leave and that i can accept, he felt he had outgrown us and probably did. We defintely rushed the deal because of our finances and it was a poor deal over all in my opinion.

My view is that Iwobi has been one of our top three/four players over the last season and a half. He's worked hard for the team, stayed fit and contributed to us staying up last season and doing the same this season.

Are there better players in his position at the club? I would say no and therefore until there is then I would be inclined to keep him. There are plenty of players that need to be shipped out / replaced before Iwobi.

McNeil is a garbage tier left wing and we need to stop defending his play over there
I mean despite the fact that pretty much everything good he has done for Everton from open play has come from that position, sound.

I'm not saying McNeil is a better LW than Iwobi, I don't think he is. But what McNeil is actually good at, comes into use on the left wing. Whereas Iwobi can be of use on both sides.

He won't suddenly become more of a goal threat on the left, though. Because he is simply not a goalscorer.

I understand our finances mate, i don't accept he had to be sold, with a bit of competency we could have managed it. In hindsight and if it was an option we should have sold Gordon. Personally i think it was a woeful deal overall.

Personally i think the guiding thing was Richarlison wanted to leave and that i can accept, he felt he had outgrown us and probably did. We defintely rushed the deal because of our finances and it was a poor deal over all in my opinion.
No but unfortunately the incompetency of previous years meant we needed a big sale by June 30th last year. Or we were going to be in bother.

So yes, ultimately we could have stopped it having to happen, but they didn't and that meant it had ot happen.

Richarlison wanted to go, we needed an influx of cash into last year's accounts.

No but unfortunately the incompetency of previous years meant we needed a big sale by June 30th last year. Or we were going to be in bother.

So yes, ultimately we could have stopped it having to happen, but they didn't and that meant it had ot happen.

Richarlison wanted to go, we needed an influx of cash into last year's accounts.

Im suspicious of it to be honest, i mean its not like our board used the media to ever softened the fan base up for a sale it ......................... I just don't think in absolutes and were there are some i like to challenge them, there are a few different things we could have done - Gordon was one, but we rushed for a poor lazy deal in my opinion. Id love to deal with Everton if you can force them into this position, Levy was licking his lips.

The lad ultimately wanted to go and we had a lazy and low threshold for that, but i don't accept the we had to sell how we did - we did - but not desperately as if was our only option - or rush into a desperate deal - which we did.

Im suspicious of it to be honest, i mean its not like our board used the media to ever softened the fan base up for a sale it ......................... I just don't think in absolutes and were there are some i like to challenge them, there are a few different things we could have done - Gordon was one, but we rushed for a poor lazy deal in my opinion. Id love to deal with Everton if you can force them into this position, Levy was licking his lips.

The lad ultimately wanted to go and we had a lazy and low threshold for that, but i don't accept the we had to sell how we did - we did - but not desperately as if was our only option - or rush into a desperate deal - which we did.
I mean it wasn't really coming from our media mate. Leeds and Burnley lodging their appeal was a real thing, the PL had our backs, but we had to bring in a big sale.

We should be okay this year - we've had Gordon and Kean money come in (whether it's already been used is another thing), but in terms of books that should make 22-23 accounts look a tad better.

We had to sell a player by the end of June mate. I don't know what else to tell you. It was either gonna be Dom or Richy and after the season Dom had in 21-22 there was only one realistic option.

These idiots in charge made it happen.

I mean despite the fact that pretty much everything good he has done for Everton from open play has come from that position, sound.

I'm not saying McNeil is a better LW than Iwobi, I don't think he is. But what McNeil is actually good at, comes into use on the left wing. Whereas Iwobi can be of use on both sides.

He won't suddenly become more of a goal threat on the left, though. Because he is simply not a goalscorer.
Which is precious little. And the small bits that are come from scoring goals which he'd probably do more if he was able to shoot on his left foot easier.

His crossing is absolutely abysmal.

Iwobi scoring 5 goals as a full time player is not some crazy stretch. He got a handful for Arsenal as a bit part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back