An Entire Team Of 30 Plus Players

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or he was in his view prioritising the Lukaku acquisition.

Next summer other areas are going to get attention
How did prioritising Lukaku prevent replacing those three? They'd have probably received a small fee for Osman and got three wages to spend on replacements...and he could then also have fast-tracked the introduction of these youngsters coming through.

The truth is, it wasn't a difficult decision to make in relation to three players well into their 30s.

How did prioritising Lukaku prevent replacing those three? They'd have probably received a small fee for Osman and got three wages to spend on replacements...and he could then also have fast-tracked the introduction of these youngsters coming through.

The truth is, it wasn't a difficult decision to make in relation to three players well into their 30s.

Although we have a budget we have a limited budget.

FFP dave. FFP

Or, maybe Bobby evaluated the academy, reserve and youth prospects coming through and decided that they would be ready, within a short timeframe (IE less than two years) to begin stepping up to the first team. In that instance, extending the deals for a couple of older players for another year or two makes more business sense than dropping £20m we don't have on three new players who, in two years' time, would be obstacles to the development of the same academy / reserves / youth players I mentioned.

Osman, Hibbo and Distin will all play at least 20 games each this season. If you replaced them tomorrow with any three of Ledson, McAleny, Kenny, Galloway and Browning, would you be more or less confident of our prospects for winning the EL and finishing in the top third of the prem?
None of those three are difficult to replace. None. They prove it each time they get on the pitch. Loan deals and bringing in and out of the side lads like Garbutt and Browning would have been a big upgrade on them

Howard's age is not an issue as long as his reflexes are still what they need to be.

In the past, you'd actually prefer your keeper to be in their early to mid thirties as it signalled experience (which is a huge aspect of their success).

With regards to the rest of the squad, it is a genuine 'concern' (as this season has suggested). However, this summer will be vital for the process.

We've also got a fair number of under 30s who are in or around our starting XI. There is the youth emerging as shown on Thursday evening.

As long as Martinez can manage the transition of experience to youth, hopefully with a few new names, our squad will be fine.

However, if he doesn't manage the process then our squad could quickly become stale.

Why do we need £30m for 3 defenders plus a keeper? Baines has a few years left in him and besides Garbutt looks an able replacement. Stones will replace Distin so that's only really Jagielka and Howard. Both could be bought for £15m easily. Besides, we're actually profitable now, so we should be able to find that kind of money without selling.

Southall, an absolute legend, but unfortunately is a bit clueless these days. "Giz a ring and it costs a tonne, lad".
We're talking over 3-4 years here. Baines will be done, jags, Distin and Howard done. Says Stones needs to learn how to defend too! Can't expect stones or garbutt will definitely be full first teamers...

Howard's age is not an issue as long as his reflexes are still what they need to be.

In the past, you'd actually prefer your keeper to be in their early to mid thirties as it signalled experience (which is a huge aspect of their success).

With regards to the rest of the squad, it is a genuine 'concern' (as this season has suggested). However, this summer will be vital for the process.

We've also got a fair number of under 30s who are in or around our starting XI. There is the youth emerging as shown on Thursday evening.

As long as Martinez can manage the transition of experience to youth, hopefully with a few new names, our squad will be fine.

However, if he doesn't manage the process then our squad could quickly become stale.
Is Howard not 38 now or something?

I am so worried about this I can't sleep at night.

If only we had a competent individual to gradually manage the squad and change things as he goes along....he'll need more than 3 transfer windows thats for sure... :hayee:

Howard
Jagielka Alcaraz Distin
Hibbert Osman Barry Baines
Pienaar
Eto'o Kone

Very worrying when you realise how many of our team has passed this age. I was hoping average squad age was gonna come down not go up.

.....I'd say only 4 of these would play if everybody was fit, one of those being the keeper. 7 under 30s is probably an ok balance, especially when some of the real youngsters like Barkley and Stones are internationals.

We're talking over 3-4 years here. Baines will be done, jags, Distin and Howard done. Says Stones needs to learn how to defend too! Can't expect stones or garbutt will definitely be full first teamers...
I'd put my parent's house on Stones being a first team starter. As for Southall's comment on him, I think my original comment on him was spot on!

As for Garbutt, I suppose time will tell whether he's good enough for us as a regular starter but there's certainly been some very positive signs.

I'd say defence is not a major issue. Hopefully both Browning and Galloway will make it, plus Stones as well. That's a promising bunch for a long time.
I hope the same, however I do fear that sometimes we as fans can get carried away with the younger players potential.

Stones has already shown he's able to be in (or at least around) the starting XI on a regular basis. In the nicest of ways, he's a freak of nature.

Garbutt has also began to show real glimpses of quality. He played well in Wolfsburg. Also, I thought he was a cut above the rest on Thursday.

Browning and Galloway? I'm not so sure, or at least I've not yet seen enough of them to say, "They'll be in our starting XI in a year".

I'm not saying they won't, and I certainly hope they do. Yet, it's not guaranteed! Furthermore, can we expect them to be ready for next season?

Therefore, I do think we need to invest in at least one centre half before August, if not earlier. Not too old, but with experience and proven ability.

Baines, Garbutt, Jagielka, Stones, <Insert Name>, Alcaraz, Galloway, Coleman and Browning. I'd settle for that. Replace Alcaraz and I'll be happy.

Why do we need £30m for 3 defenders plus a keeper? Baines has a few years left in him and besides Garbutt looks an able replacement. Stones will replace Distin so that's only really Jagielka and Howard. Both could be bought for £15m easily. Besides, we're actually profitable now, so we should be able to find that kind of money without selling.

Southall, an absolute legend, but unfortunately is a bit clueless these days. "Giz a ring and it costs a tonne, lad".
I think big Nev was confused and mentioned his latest monthly food bill rather than a quote for a new back line. The last picture I saw of him reminded me of the Simpsons episode were Homer puts on weight to claim disability

Status
Not open for further replies.