2021/22 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope Anthony Gordon gets a run out at some stage against Southampton today, preferably when we are three or four up so the lad can relax and enjoy himself and not worry about us chasing the game or trying to hold on to a narrow lead.

still seems a bit lightweight

you can work around that if you create space and use your pace

I think he needs to learn that aspect of his game

…I think his physicality is ok, Mikey. He’s wiry, I always think he’ll be wiry but I don’t think he’s a weakling. I actually think he’s a talent but I think he’s a talent that lacks the ego that the really strong minded ones have.

He should be taking games by the scruff of the neck but he usually plays safe. I think he might be one really good moment away from breaking through but he could easily drop down the ranks. It’s up to him.

This is another guy I am worried we will ruin. If he is going to stay and not see time on loan, he needs to play. I’m sure Rafael has every intention of playing him, but 90 percent of the time we change our minds and leave these guys to rot on the bench.

I do think that an environment can make and break some players. Ours has been poor for youth development. Hopefully Rafael stands by his convictions here and gives Ant Man a fair shot. He fell out of favor with Carlo and it all went downhill.

This is another guy I am worried we will ruin. If he is going to stay and not see time on loan, he needs to play. I’m sure Rafael has every intention of playing him, but 90 percent of the time we change our minds and leave these guys to rot on the bench.

I do think that an environment can make and break some players. Ours has been poor for youth development. Hopefully Rafael stands by his convictions here and gives Ant Man a fair shot. He fell out of favor with Carlo and it all went downhill.

I wonder what happened there. He started the first couple of games after lockdown - wasn't in the game against Liverpool, but not out of his depth, then set up the opener vs Leicester - and then was gradually phased out.

I think somewhere along the way he's lost some confidence. Hopefully he can get back on track because he's definitely talented and we could probably do with getting some use out of our academy grads.

Gordon should only come on when we are a couple of goals up and cruising. If we start playing him regular and the results do not go our way then Gordon will be crucified and the manager vilified for playing him. The manager should know if he is ready or not. From what I have seen from him I am underwhelmed. He needs to show it in training on a regular basis before he can get a start. If he is not starting then the manager does not think he is ready.

I think him and Branthwaite are our only players eligible for young player of the year and will likely barely kick a ball all season.
Says it all about how unbalanced our squad is

Gordon should only come on when we are a couple of goals up and cruising. If we start playing him regular and the results do not go our way then Gordon will be crucified and the manager vilified for playing him. The manager should know if he is ready or not. From what I have seen from him I am underwhelmed. He needs to show it in training on a regular basis before he can get a start. If he is not starting then the manager does not think he is ready.

…if Benitez wants to use him, he will use him regardless of match situations. The lad is a young professional, he needs to grasp his chance when it arrives. He needs to be tested in difficult situations, he needs to prove he has the attitude as well as the quality.

If this is the case, then he should be out on loan. Hence the problem.

I wonder what happened there. He started the first couple of games after lockdown - wasn't in the game against Liverpool, but not out of his depth, then set up the opener vs Leicester - and then was gradually phased out.

I think somewhere along the way he's lost some confidence. Hopefully he can get back on track because he's definitely talented and we could probably do with getting some use out of our academy grads.
We are starving for cash because our academy has flopped so hard. We never produce any assets to sell or use for our own gain which isn’t a sustainable way to run a club. Hopefully Rafael has a better plan than some of our more recent managers. We have already dug ourselves a bit of a hole as shown in the transfer window

Status
Not open for further replies.