2021/22 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
No but the point was the difference between playing 90 minutes now and doing it then, so if we say he gets subbed off it’s a pretty pointless comparison.
Sorry mate, you've lost me now. I think we must be talking at cross purposes. The op asked if the game was as quick and tiring then and I answered them. You were allowed 1 sub back then and 3 now. Sorry if I'm slow on the uptake, but, I don't understand your point.

Sorry mate, you've lost me now. I think we must be talking at cross purposes. The op asked if the game was as quick and tiring then and I answered them. You were allowed 1 sub back then and 3 now. Sorry if I'm slow on the uptake, but, I don't understand your point.
The poster was talking about how it’s difficult to keep pressing and sprinting if you’re playing 90 minutes every week, and how it’s easier to do when you’re getting subbed on and off and so have more energy. If you talk about him being rotated and subbed off as you just did then we’re back to square one and agreeing that it is more difficult to do when you’re playing all the time.

I wasn't talking about him being subbed off, or at least I only spoke about that in answer to you. My original reply was answering the question SW Blue asked. He said that as he hadn't been around in the 60s and 70s he wondered if anyone who was could confirm that it was slower and less tiring. I tried to answer that question for him. The first time subs came into it was when you said something about 5 subs. Perhaps you were answering something somebody else said earlier in the thread.

Add to that was sw blue at any of those games to witness first hand?
No, hence me pointing out they are 'guesses' and adding I was only born in the 80s.

Coming back to the original point...

If you played 45 minutes in one game and 45 in another, during those 45 minute spells, you would be able to play at a higher intensity than over 90 minutes in a single game.

Making the point that if Anthony begins to stay on the pitch for longer durations more often, the intensity of his game is likely to drop towards the end, meaning his stats average will also drop.

Needs to keep starting games as long as he says he's able to, none of this "he needs a rest" unless he's been crap.

I would like to see Gordon starting every game from now until the end of the season.

The only time i dont want to see him on the pitch is when he gets tired and is subbed off for Dobbin.

We arent winning anything and we arent finishing top 6 so we may as well see if these young players can go the way of DCL.

We need them to improve this season so next season we have 4 or 5 kids who are viable squad options.

Exactly go to the Old Everton Pictures forum and look at the team photos ,and i can guarantee there will be 2or3 young players who were slated when they first got in the team ,but ended up great players.
This is true. Once in a century you get a player like Rooney. Everyone else needs time to develop. Far too much expectation for instant success.

Gordon looks like he is on a good trajectory to me. Getting games and a growing influence. I’m pretty sure his confidence will surge when he gets his first goal.

This is true. Once in a century you get a player like Rooney. Everyone else needs time to develop. Far too much expectation for instant success.

Gordon looks like he is on a good trajectory to me. Getting games and a growing influence. I’m pretty sure his confidence will surge when he gets his first goal.

Classic Everton that Rooney arrived at the moment we were probably at our worst in our prem history. Any earlier he would have been in with the Royle team of Kanchelskis Limpar Ferguson and might have reLly kicked us on. Any later he would have come into a team with Cahill Arteta Yakubu Pienaar and probably taken us into the top 4 a few times.

Instead he arrived exactly when we were completely rubbish and absolutely skint. So he was promptly sold.

Classic Everton that Rooney arrived at the moment we were probably at our worst in our prem history. Any earlier he would have been in with the Royle team of Kanchelskis Limpar Ferguson and might have reLly kicked us on. Any later he would have come into a team with Cahill Arteta Yakubu Pienaar and probably taken us into the top 4 a few times.

Instead he arrived exactly when we were completely rubbish and absolutely skint. So he was promptly sold.
We're talking about a club that let Bobby Collins go, missed out on Kenny Dalglish, Bobby Robson, Peter Shilton - amongst others - sold Lineker for 2.8 million pieces of silver.. I'm tired of us failing all the time and having to suck it up to those bees over the park.

To be fair, any later and we would have been relegated.

23 appearances without a goal or big chance being created as an attacking player.

Are you not worried about his end product as an attacking player? Obviously I hope I'm wrong but when he plays I just see him as someone who fills a positiion and not someone who causes a threat.
1638040771483.png

23 appearances without a goal or big chance being created as an attacking player.

Are you not worried about his end product as an attacking player? Obviously I hope I'm wrong but when he plays I just see him as someone who fills a positiion and not someone who causes a threat.
View attachment 146953

Anthony Gordon has had 368 mins in the premier league this season.

Thats 4 full games for a 20 year old player.

Playing in a very poor Everton team devoid of heart and tactics.

He just needs minutes at this point and needs to stay on the pitch like we saw with DCL.

If in 18 months we see hes not improved then fair enough.

Anthony Gordon has had 368 mins in the premier league this season.

Thats 4 full games for a 20 year old player.

Playing in a very poor Everton team devoid of heart and tactics.

He just needs minutes at this point and needs to stay on the pitch like we saw with DCL.

If in 18 months we see hes not improved then fair enough.
Agree entirely. Players like Gordon have to be given game time. They are our best route to improvement. We are developing a PL player and avoiding a transfer fee. At worst he will have a sell on value, at best he becomes a good member of the squad like DCL. Incidentally, DCL only scored one goal in his first PL season, so Gordon’s stats are not surprising.

I don’t think his attacking style from the youth teams has come through yet, but I think it will. I am pretty sure he will come good and is worth giving the time to.

Status
Not open for further replies.