2022/23 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
His effort is far better than the others in the front 3 at least, although his quality has not been there. Move him wide, get a centre forward, sell Gray and then we can move forward with some sort of threat.

But if he genuinely sees himself as a centre forward going forward, then I'm not sure what he is basing it on. He doesn't have any presence, he doesn't have good movement in the box, and he doesn't gamble by making runs. It would be my number 1 criticism of him over the last 2 seasons - stop watching the play and get into the box and you will start to get rewarded.

Selling him is a stupid idea. He can do better but he needs help from the recruitment team so he doesn't have to try and carry a powder puff front line that would struggle in the championship.
His place is on the bench. The last 10 minutes when everybody is tired he can do some damage with his pace. He is to tactical and technical inept to play whole games!

there is without doubt a great player in him
There must be a different definition of greatness up in the North East, if it's Tony G.

Young player, sure. "Potential", sure. Works hard, sure. But there's no end product with him whatsoever and if he wasn't "one of our own" I think a lot of the blue-tinted glasses would be off and he wouldn't get as much of a free pass as he does.

Maybe he'll improve a lot in time (doesn't help he's being played in a position he simply isn't capable of doing), maybe he'll end up like Tom Davies: very average player, living on easy street at his boyhood club.

If Newcastle really did offer £35m for him, I'd have taken that all day long.

Nuisances don’t win football matches though. No end product at all from the lad, can cut him a little slack given he has been thrown in the deep end by the club trying to convince us he is our Gordon. But, if he wasn’t a local lad would people defend him at all? A lot of people seem to have had enough of Gray since last September, who offers very similar/little end product, but Gordon’s local so he gets away with being a nuisance.
He should be given some slack because a) he hasn’t cost us a penny.
b) there’s no lack of effort.
d) he’s been given a chance to play for the club he supports and he’s taken it. So
would we.
e) he’s 5 years younger than Gray.
f) he’s played about 180 less first team games than Gray nearly all of which in a relegation threatened/poor team.
g) he’s being played out of position.
h) he’s probably one of the lowest paid first teamers we have.

Should he be 1st choice for Everton? No

Should he be a part of the squad because of his potential? Yes

If he’s not good enough nobody would be interested in him.

Of all the players we should be wanting to sell he’s close to the bottom of the pile.

My lord Gordon for any sort of silly money and the possibility of Broja. This needs to be done quickly before their owner grows a brain. Honestly this is probably the most one sided obvious transfer we could possibly do.

I don’t care what universe we will live in over the next few years, there is no reality that Gordon will ever be a £50m player. Don’t let this become a Sean Longstaff situation where Newcastle rejected something like £35m and the lad is worth barely 1/10th of that now only a few years later.

If there is any possibility to get this deal done do it, we will massively regret it otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.