2022/23 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
He doesn’t need to. He keeps improving he will be fine. We have much worst players getting much less stick. Some hail rondon as king, some set the target of 6 bloody assist for McNeil. So much for perspective.
He really does need to if we're rating him higher than 42m

If Gordon were sold I'd hope any incomings were already lined up and deals between club and player are already more or less agreed.

The domino effect you see on deadline day is similar to a house chain - everybody has everything lined up all dependent on that first move going through. The well ran clubs only sell once the replacement or reinvestment is either bought first or has been identified and already more or less agreed, badly ran clubs sell and then look around.
Absolutely spot on.

Just because the Gordon bid became public yesterday doesn't mean the wheels haven't been in motion for a while behind the scenes; it's exactly how transfers work these days, given all the contracts and lawyers and agents and intermediaries etc. You'd like to think that IF we've decided to sell, we're just doing the dance of "considering the offer" whilst we get our ducks in a row, instead of not panicking on deadline day.

He really does need to if we're rating him higher than 42m
I don’t care how much he is worth in the eyes of other teams. I’m sure he will perform better than last season. Which I think he will. That’s enough, not some silly benchmark of sala mane son. Not now.

If that's the case, we should walk away. I'd say that £25m is a fair valuation of his player if you couple in the potential add ons based on his potential.

But we need more than £25m to invest in the squad, so it'd be a no.
Exactly. If £40m is up front then we should consider with adds on. £25m? No ta.

Ridiculous comparison.
Is it, though? Both burst onto the scene and got us all excited. Neither ACTUALLY contributed all that much by way of goals/assists but we deemed it on a matter of time according to the perceived upward trajectory of their developments.

You, yourself, have said on multiple occasions we need to rid this club of its crippling sentimentality. Gordon is a decent player who I am willing to bet won't ever progress too far beyond that, who we love because he tries hard and isn't quite as crap as a lot of our other crap.

He gets a big move to help him make the most of his career, we get a ludicrous sum of money for him and - based on the semi-sensible (jury is out on McNeil) transfers in so far this summer - probably use it to get a couple of better quality players, making the team and squad better than it was before. Aim of the game, is it not?

My biggest concern is that they don’t come back with another offer.
Nah they definitely will. That Todd bloke is throwing money around left right and center like it's Canadian Rupees or something. He'll probably throw an extra £10m at us once he sees a Tony G/Clare Balding photofit and thinks he's getting a 2-for-1 deal. ?

Does anybody think Chelsea would give us 50m for McNeil?

Picsart_22-08-15_15-06-04-438.jpg

You were asking for more goal contributions. He'd get more with a better forward.
Are we currently missing a lot of gilt-edged chances he's creating? Is he fizzing quality deliveries across the 6-yard box on the regular, with nobody there to take the gift?

This is nothing more than wishful thinking. We well and truly missed our best opportunity to cash in on DCL; if we pass this up we've got no realistic pathways to decent transfer income in the short-term, and rapidly dwindling reserves from which to make signings.

Status
Not open for further replies.