2022/23 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know he hasn't for you, and maybe he hasn't for me, but for people who matter he has.

Ashworth knows his stuff, and bid heavily for him. Chelsea have recruited well and they are in for him. There's a reason for that. These people know what they are doing.

I like Ryan, but his pressing and defensive work is way better than average, his goal return to XG is about average and he's 21 and will get a lot better.

I don't know what he does moving forward, but objectively as of this moment, he is a world class talent. That's the reality.
I just don't agree. I think there are plenty of players his equal. And then you have guys like Martinelli, Musiala, Fati, Rodrygo, Foden, Saka, Szoboszlai that he doesn't even come close to at this moment.

Well how else would you measure good performance then?
If player 1 gets 30 clear chances and scores 10, and maybe B gets 4 clear chances and scores 4, which one is a better finisher?
I'm not being horrible, but the fact you don't think his return is respectable, in a poor team is quite telling. Teams don't bid 40m+ for players who have a lower than respectable return. It was a good return, given the lack of chances he had. He did well to get 4 goals.
Just for the record, does a goal scored with a deflection count any less? Do you get less points for those? Do we have to give 2 points back v Manchester United because of that?
The player who scored 10 goals; because he’s scored more goals in a team that’s created more chances and therefore more likely to win games

And FYI I don’t dislike Gordon, but I don’t rate him as a world beater. But I watched a player on Saturday who didn’t have any influence on a game

He has backed down in my conversation with him....now says he has talent and potantial....yet also saying he has not said anything bad...

Another stat vergin thats never kicked a ball.

You're right on the playing football bit too. I'll give you a couple of examples, which people who have played, at a reasomable level or above will understand. I could pick more out but they are 2 that come to mind:

1) In his debut against Liverpool, as a teenager his positonal sense kept Arnold quiet. There was also a moment where he picked the ball off in midfield, dribble past too Liverpool players, and was about to get his head up and pass it through for DCL to run onto. In the end Wijnaldum nailed him, so it didn't quite come off. But it was an early sign to me, that he had confidence and a unique ability to go past people but also the sense to look up for a pass. That was quite rare.

2) Last week against Chelsea, playing against 3 centre halves, he find space between them all, drifts in for a header, timing his run perfectly, outjumping Koulibaly in the process, and ultimately should score. It's very difficult to teach that instinctive ability of timing runs into the box, never mind having such a good leap and standing at 6 ft 1 or whatever.

It's not everything, but it was quite stand out ish to me.

Then you read all he does is run around. Strange one. People don't bid over 40m for players who just run around. Damarai Gray just runs around fast, and nobody is ever going to bid 40m for him. It's very obvious why.

He’s the only player that gets us up the pitch. 21 years of age and only going to get better. With a proper striker upfront he will surely improve on those stats.

I think people are forgetting how well he did last year in his breakthrough season.
Well we'd buy better players, mate.

He did do well last year, but he wasn't incredible was he. He didn't transform us. As I said to @Lanolin yesterday, I reckon a big part of why we ended up finishing 16th is that we relied so heavily on him to be our creative force - and he simply isn't that good (yet).

If Chelsea did offer £50m, then it'd be absolutely fantastic business.

But, if they don't offer that valuation, and we don't sell, then it's fine by me too.

Tricky one this. Gordon is our future. But our immediate future is staying in the PL. Selling Gordon to Chelsea and signing Broja and getting Gallagher in on loan with an option to buy could we’ll give us a better chance of staying up then keeping Gordon.
Is AG our future, though? Heard the same thing said about Barkley and Stones and Rodwell and Ball and Rooney etc etc. All were sold, with money reinvested, and we're still here. He's just a player; nothing more nothing less. A young talent, no doubt, but not at the level we can say no to ~£50m for.

Ok, so how would you measure finishing ability then?
Goals scored surely?
Which he has done, in pretty respectable numbers relative to the chances he has had created for himself.

Hence why a top team want to pay mega money for him. They obviously think he can finish, and the XG stts are quite reliable.
I think it’s four, two of which he knew the sum total of nothing about!

We'll be a better team if we can get a sticker in who actually scores goals for us. If it takes the sale of Gordon to do this then so be it. We are where we are right now!

The player who scored 10 goals; because he’s scored more goals in a team that’s created more chances and therefore more likely to win games

And FYI I don’t dislike Gordon, but I don’t rate him as a world beater. But I watched a player on Saturday who didn’t have any influence on a game

But the 2nd player is a better finisher isn't he?

As for the 2nd point, I saw a player who was involved. He had 2 good shots that he made for himself. There was a moment where he dribbled from our third to Villa's box and was chopped down (and bizarrely not given a free kick) and he scored a goal that was ruled out for him being inches offside.
I'm not sure how much more involved you want him to be, playing out of position?

I just don't agree. I think there are plenty of players his equal. And then you have guys like Martinelli, Musiala, Fati, Rodrygo, Foden, Saka, Szoboszlai that he doesn't even come close to at this moment.

Well he does, because they would probably all also struggle in a team as bad as ours, playing out of position.
Foden is an awesome player, but in a side that has 25% of the ball would be a liability.

Status
Not open for further replies.