2022/23 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve had it with the transfer window. It should go back to being able to freely bring players in as and when.

I’m just gonna go and join the women’s auxiliary balloon corps.
I don't mind the idea of the window, but it should simply be the closed season and not extend into the start of the new campaign.

That was only a problem when we tried it previously because the rest of the European leagues continued to be able to bid for, unsettle and buy Premier League players when they could no longer replace them.

If the PL was able to implement an ingoing and outgoing transfer ban (not sure of UEFA's thoughts on that) the day before the new season kicked off, I think it'd save this silly early season bother.

It’s all pros and cons. Relegation costs the club upwards of £50 M, but would he save us from relegation anyway if we kept him?
For what it’s worth I don’t think we’ll be in the same trouble we were last year whether we sell him or not, because some of the big issues from last season have been and are being addressed, but I do think it’ll be a better season all round if we don’t just rely on DCL being regularly fit enough to score all the goals!

According to that article, we're interested in Billy Gilbert

Journalism at its finest.
Yes
62113F61-5D5A-460D-A9FC-06A17C300A0C.jpeg

Classic.

Step 1 - release to the media that we want to keep him at all costs

Step 2 - release that he’s pushing for a move

Step 3 - release that we’ve reluctantly accepted a bid because wouldn’t sign new contract

Step 4 - Gordon leaves and the board cry “we tried our best to keep him”

Rinse and repeat.
I suspect the deal is done and dusted the rest is all face saving on our part

For what it’s worth I don’t think we’ll be in the same trouble we were last year whether we sell him or not, because some of the big issues from last season have been and are being addressed, but I do think it’ll be a better season all round if we don’t just rely on DCL being regularly fit enough to score all the goals!
Agree with all of that

Anthony Gordon is an ok Premier League footballer at the moment.

Does he have potential? Yes.
Is he lighting teams up every week, every other week? No.

The situation is this;

If he develops into the footballer that's doing it week in week, winning us points against everyone he plays over the next season or two then we'll still porbably lose him if we're not in the Champions League, okay sure we'll get an extra few £m.

If he doesn't progress over the next season or two, will someone come along and offer £40m+ for him again if he's still single digit goals / assists?

Most definitely not.

The club has to weigh the risk of selling him now and being able to get in players who are better right now or of the same quality but higher potential vs putting their hope in his develop.

My personal opinion, if anyone cares for it.

Obvious worried about recruitment they could go for an Onana equivalent, brilliant! Or they'll get a McNeil equivalent, booo!

I honestly don't think he'll develop into the player who is scoring or assisting every game or other game.

So sell.

Status
Not open for further replies.