2022/23 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
People assured me for weeks it was the right strategy. I was just being negative and needed to get behind the club.
Nobody said it was right not to get a striker. We just refuted the idea Everton hadn't attempted to - as they had. They failed, for a few reasons, all of which ultimately boil down to the previous incompetence.

There's been no excuse for the lack of activity on that front in the last 9 days though.

I don’t like the idea of him going but if we can get £50-60 million for him it is tempting considering what we could do with the money. If I’m honest he isn’t worth it, but that’s not what matters, what matters is what Chelsea want to pay and right now they are in flat out silly season mode. So let’s take advantage.

I know the doom mongers are out but I actually feel quite positive right now. Of course that could all change come the end of the window and we find ourselves still without a forward.

If we get beat by Forest the demons will return to this squad and they'll hide.

It really is a pivotal game. A win settles things right down.

It really has the feel of a “mudt win” game even though we are still in August.

We have two hard away games on the trot after it…..Bees and at Leeds…..followed by the Goodison derby and a trip to Arsenal.

As you say, defeat on Saturday will have a bad effect on morale.

I think we should sell him as long as Chelsea meet whatever valuation we have on him. That's up to the club, and up to Chelsea to pay it.
People seem to be ignoring that it actually isn't up to the club. They can just be horribly wrong in their valuation. It isn't really okay to turn down 45m for a 25m player because "we think he's worth 60m"

Been thinking about this more and my stance has changed. Think the fact we have brought through a youth prospect and are potentially selling him on for upwards of 50mill pure profit personifies the change in the way the club and recruitment are being run under thelwel and lampard. If we look at the mess we are in at the moment it's from sky high wages and fees on underperforming players which we then get stuck with for the duration of their contracts with no performance improvement.

From a business perspective this deal and the deals we have done in general of late, make sense. We can see first hand what happens when you make crazy recruitment decisions and throw money around with a poor recruitment strategy. There becomes a limit in further recruitment possible, without the sale of richarlison it sounds like it was nigh on impossible to fill holes in the squad. I'm not saying it's acceptable, we shouldn't be in this position in the first place but we are here now and at least there appears to be a strategy in play. Saying that, this all only becomes positive long term if we recruit the right players with this money. If we do what we've been doing since moshiri took the helm we may aswell turn the lights off and go home.

Been thinking about this more and my stance has changed. Think the fact we have brought through a youth prospect and are potentially selling him on for upwards of 50mill pure profit personifies the change in the way the club and recruitment are being run under thelwel and lampard. If we look at the mess we are in at the moment it's from sky high wages and fees on underperforming players which we then get stuck with for the duration of their contracts with no performance improvement.

From a business perspective this deal and the deals we have done in general of late, make sense. We can see first hand what happens when you make crazy recruitment decisions and throw money around with a poor recruitment strategy. There becomes a limit in further recruitment possible, without the sale of richarlison it sounds like it was nigh on impossible to fill holes in the squad. I'm not saying it's acceptable, we shouldn't be in this position in the first place but we are here now and at least there appears to be a strategy in play. Saying that, this all only becomes positive long term if we recruit the right players with this money. If we do what we've been doing since moshiri took the helm we may aswell turn the lights off and go home.
Yeah if it goes through, I don't really see it as a failure. Sure we could have potentially kept him longer if we were better and more financially stable, but even big clubs do this. You can't completely control who is going to attract interest from bigger clubs, so you have to have a healthy balance sheet and recruit well, so that you are ready with a replacement. It'd be a major success story for one of our academy prospects to go from a Preston loan to getting sold to Chelsea for 50m in two years. Our board has a horrible recent history of recruitment, so I'm not holding my breath on replacements. But if we make a couple of other Onana type signings with other more affordable options mixed in, we can very quickly flip things around both financially and hopefully on the field as well.

If the club have refused 45m then once again it seems they are gambling with the clubs future. I hope for their sake they are confident of another bid from Chelsea.
It appears though they are holding out to some romantic notion that gordon is going to turn into a world beater.

A blind donkey could have seen what we had in Rooney and a large part of the fans anger was down to the belief that the club had sold him on the cheap.

This situation is the exact opposite...in the current market gordon from what he has shown is not worth what chelsea are offering. The money the sale would generate is needed to balance the squad, its a simple business the decision the club needs to make.

Yeah if it goes through, I don't really see it as a failure. Sure we could have potentially kept him longer if we were better and more financially stable, but even big clubs do this. You can't completely control who is going to attract interest from bigger clubs, so you have to have a healthy balance sheet and recruit well, so that you are ready with a replacement. It'd be a major success story for one of our academy prospects to go from a Preston loan to getting sold to Chelsea for 50m in two years. Our board has a horrible recent history of recruitment, so I'm not holding my breath on replacements. But if we make a couple of other Onana type signings with other more affordable options mixed in, we can very quickly flip things around both financially and hopefully on the field as well.

If we sell Gordon this summer + bring in 2 u23 players.

Then sell Kean + DCL next summer and bring in 4 u23 players.

In theory we should be far stronger.

Each year if we can sell one player and sign 2 young players then if the recruitment is good (thats the key) the squad becomes stronger every year and the accounts improve.

The snag we have is clearing out the deadwood which probably takes 2 more summer windows.

If the club have refused 45m then once again it seems they are gambling with the clubs future. I hope for their sake they are confident of another bid from Chelsea.
It appears though they are holding out to some romantic notion that gordon is going to turn into a world beater.

A blind donkey could have seen what we had in Rooney and a large part of the fans anger was down to the belief that the club had sold him on the cheap.

This situation is the exact opposite...in the current market gordon from what he has shown is not worth what chelsea are offering. The money the sale would generate is needed to balance the squad, its a simple business the decision the club needs to make.

I think the deal gets done with the next offer at £50mil.

But i wonder if were negotiating for Broja etc which could be holding things up as well.

Big Simon talking sense.

"He's only just at the beginning of his journey with Everton, he’s played 50 games. I do think there is some sense in Everton pushing back against this," he said on talkSPORT.

"If he’s got good people around him and are giving him good advice, I personally think it’s a fools errand to go to Chelsea at this stage of his career and I think it’s a bad move on Everton’s part if they entertain it. Unless the numbers get to a certain point, it’s ridiculous, some could say £45m is ridiculous, but it’s not ridiculous today.

"There comes a point where the price point becomes irresistible. Let’s be clear, everyone is for sale and it's about finding the right price. He’ll be attached the same value to Everton as Wayne Rooney had at Everton to go to Manchester United. I would think there’s a more compelling situation if Manchester City and Liverpool were the bidding clubs. Liverpool would be a challenge if he’s supporting Everton but Manchester City are formidable and winning everything."

Chelsea, at this moment in time, we’re not entirely sure what they will be this year. We are talking about Tottenham hunting them down and finishing above them in the league. So the point, it’s not as irresistible a proposition to go to Chelsea for the player.

"When Rooney left to go to Manchester United, they were on top of the world, best team in the country, biggest team without argument - everyone wanted to play for Sir Alex Ferguson. I don’t think the same thing exists at Chelsea. I think (Thomas) Tuchel is a fabulous manager, I didn't like his behaviour on Sunday, but he’s a fabulous manager. But I don’t think Chelsea is an irresistible lure, I think Manchester City might be."

Attachments

• 1660794525993.png
    1660794525993.png
    6.1 KB · Views: 43
People seem to be ignoring that it actually isn't up to the club. They can just be horribly wrong in their valuation. It isn't really okay to turn down 45m for a 25m player because "we think he's worth 60m"
I don't know how you are defining value but if we consider it is the monetary worth of an asset/player and one club, Spurs, had offered a reported 35 million, which we rejected, and another club, Chelsea offering 45 million which has also been rejected then it is clear that his value as defined by three professional football clubs is way above your silly attempts at valuation.

Status
Not open for further replies.