2023/24 Ashley Young

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zero transfer fee. Already settled in. Hopefully sensible wages. Versatile. Not overly likeable, but no doubt he’s “a good pro” and “looks after himself”. Seamus is a legend, but his captaincy has been overshadowed by a decade long period of softness, laziness, and disinterest throughout the squad that has seen many a manager off. Maybe having a blunt manager and couple more genuine dedicated pros like Tarks and Young around have been pivotal to the squad pushing through a season riddled with stupid challenges and severe constant pressure? Who knows. I don’t, but it’s possible.

Normally, a big big no. We have to look younger, and we have to look for better. And I don’t really like his manner (not that that matters). But for where we are with finances and squad depth, makes sense. Was mostly okay, bar some stupid yellows, whilst never being great. But nowhere near as bad as was often made out. Mass hysteria every time he was named, despite there often being zero other fit options, encapsulated when social media was flooded with shouts of “disgusting he starts ahead of Dobbin on the right” when Dobbin wasn’t even in the squad.

The extension to his contract speaks volumes for the club, we are in for another torrid season with Sean Dyche playing horrible football and fingers crossed we get enough points to stay in the division. I had hoped we would start the process of looking up following what was (points deductions aside) an improvement on our previous two seasons. It looks like that particular hope has to be put away and maybe brought out the following year. I expect us to be weaker, player wise, this season than we were last, it is now a question of who we sell.

Well the squad next season is technically already weaker in numbers with Lonergan, Gomes, Danjuma, Dele and potentially Harrison being gone

the good news is that those bench places can be filled by maupay, Holgate, mills, Harry tyrer and Onyango
It'd be worth spending some of the limited budget on paying off Holgate if nobody wants him, or sending him somewhere for free and paying some of his last year of wages.

Fair enough. But at the end of the day this manager isn't going to give Patterson a fair chance and he hasnt really shown anything to show he deserves one for me. And for all the mistakes Young made Godfrey makes just as many. I'm not trying to say Young had a good season but our RB cohort is a disgrace and Coleman (who is our best rb) can't be trusted to stay fit.

For me Young was our best rb but he's also cover for left back and right midfield which proves invaluable when the clubs about to go bust

Coleman is finished. Young is a liability

Patterson our best overall and Godfrey our best for the Dyche 'inside fullback ( lol ) role

Club ensuring the pensioners have a roof over their heads.

Not a shock we have offered him it but the number of mistakes he makes is appalling and he really needs to just be a bit part player next season.

This is why they cant complain about having no money to spend with the 3 contract extensions.

Players make mistakes, but what matters is where they make them and if they get punished for them.

Godfrey has conceded a pen.

Young has made 2 mistakes leading directly to goals, given away a pen, had a red card in the first half of a game and scored an own goal.

If we want a RB that isn’t going to offer anything going forward, the defence has conceded less per game when Godfrey plays rather than Young.

Young at full back is frightening every game.

No problem with him as a squad player,
are squad is way to.small.
Don't want him starting to often to be honest.
Might have a decent off field presence that could help other players settle into the club and the Prem as I think we are going to have a right miss mash of free transfers and loans next season.
Likes of him and Coleman might be more use on that score than in many matches.

I dont understand how the squad is considered 'too small'.

Too low on quality yes but its not too small.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back