Baz explains injury jinx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Basil Fawlty

Player Valuation: £35m
Injury Jinx Explained – News Archive – News – evertonfc.com – The Official Website of Everton Football Club

Everton's head physio has explained why the 'knee curse' that's hit the Blues over the last twelve months is purely an unfortunate coincidence.

Mick Rathbone's treatment room has been bursting at the seams with Mikel Arteta, Phil Jagielka, Phil Neville, Victor Anichebe, Steven Pienaar and James Vaughan all needing rehabilitation.

Speaking exclusively to evertonTV, Rathbone says he's stunned at the squad's bad luck. "I have been a physio for 14 years and I have never known anything like this with so many serious injuries in one go,” he declared.

"Injuries are part of the game but to be hit with so many long term problems has been tough."

Any suggestion that the Club are possibly to blame for the injury jinx have been flatly denied.

"If you are having these injuries year-in year-out you would have to look at yourselves and ask what are we doing wrong - but this is just a one off." explains Rathbone.

"You have to also take into account that the game is getting much faster. The players are getting stronger and therefore more powerful. The pitches now are also very firm which is starting to take its toll. So it's not just bad luck, there are other factors behind it".

One of those players affected by a serious knee problem is impressing with his steady recovery, though.

"We are very pleased with Phil Jagielka. He is doing some good quality ball work now,” said Rathbone.

"When we talk about the recovery time from a cruciate injury the absolute minimum is six months.

"The surgeon won't let a player go into any type of contact work for at least six months then you have to add on time to build up fitness and play in a few reserve games so you are looking at over seven months for a quick comeback."

To watch evertonTV's exclusive interview with Mick Rathbone click here. Plus, keep an eye out for an update from Jags himself later this week.

Any suggestion that the Club are possibly to blame for the injury jinx have been flatly denied.

"You have to also take into account that the game is getting much faster. The players are getting stronger and therefore more powerful."

Well that doesn't stack up. The prehabilitation mumbo jumbo method is an alternative to the players building up muscle mass. It stands to reason if other clubs are going the traditional route of power and athleticism then our players aren't meeting that challenge and maybe at a bit of disadvantage in the physical part of the game.

Here's the laughable part: this prehabilitation is supposed to be a proactive approach to injury - getting away from just reacting to the damage as per most club's physio depts. Since the two Californian surfer dudes have been at Finch Farm, though, the club have had to build another wing to the treatment centre.

:oops:

Here's the laughable part: this prehabilitation is supposed to be a proactive approach to injury - getting away from just reacting to the damage as per most club's physio depts. Since the two Californian surfer dudes have been at Finch Farm, though, the club have had to build another wing to the treatment centre.

:oops:

Not the best surf in California it has to be said - if your into your surfing like.

Arent the Germans into the prehab thing - maybe it just makes you ace at penalties.

How do you know we are doing things differently to other clubs Dave?

Well, I've only been able to locate the take up of this prehab stuff to the German national team (who took it up under Klinsmann) and Everton. So I suppose it's justifiable to believe other clubs are using the industry standard methods we were using prior to taking it up.

As said on this subject already, it was advocated at Everton by Moyes because it makes 'best use of scarce resources'...squad numbers in our case. It was always as much an economic argument as a medical one. Whatever it was supposed to do, and Rathbone's attempt to cover for his dude colleague's embarrassing record aside, I think we can agree it's not helping matters.

To be fair recent long term injury canditates Cahill and Saha seem to be doing well out of it as a method. Argueably Neville and Vic were impact injuries There is a case for Arteta although that was argueably an impact injury as it occured within a challenge on Lovenkrands. Jags is fair enough. Despite its possible effectiveness as a method i doubt it makes people super human on ther bones impervious.

I would imagine its geared more toward the likes of hamstrings, groins and most muscle injuries by the way its described rather then giving players steel skeletons.

Seems a bit strange the club physio coming out to deny the club's new methods are not contributing to this state of affairs. What was the motive for that? It's hardly uppermost in anyone's mind. :oops:

Seems a bit strange the club physio coming out to deny the club's new methods are not contributing to this state of affairs. What was the motive for that? It's hardly uppermost in anyone's mind. :oops:

Leave out. Anyone who follows football in the slighest is probably wondering why the hell Everton have had so many players out with serious knee/ligament damage in the last year.

Rathbones just making a staement on it answering questions i'm sure loads of people (including on here and no doubt at the club) have asked.

I mean you could be right and it could be a denial cause they know the knew methods are to blame. Or it could not be, could just be bloody bad luck.

didn't those new people come in after most of the injuries?

from what i read it seemed fairly sensible, no point sat at a bench pressing weights because you will encounter nothing like that particular movement in a game of football. give it at least a year or so before you judge because that's how long it takes to see the real benefits of a different training regime.

right and if he hadn't said it, you wouldn't have brought it up and demanded an explanation? as far as i can tell all he did was preempt the shouts of those that are against all things everton

That proprioception training mentioned in the article - never heard of anything like it, although I imagine it must be the kind of thing stuntmen do to avoid impact injuries. Seeing as I'm no anatomical expert, I would be extremely reluctant to go pointing the finger at any of the techniques or treatments the medical staff at Everton have put into practice. In the modern game, injuries are inevitable, and luck is a huge factor I believe, whatever treatment players are given before or after.

As for the quality of our staff, given the amount of money and success for the club these long term layoffs for our key players entail, do any of us really question whether the board wouldn't have ensured our physios are completely competent?

Status
Not open for further replies.