2021/22 Ben Godfrey

Status
Not open for further replies.
He certainly was before Benitez coached him.
We do this with all our players where we think they're great at first and so when it is clear they aren't we think it can be saved based on some mythical first season. So it isn't surprising to see it here. But mostly they're crap from day one. Godfrey certainly was. His good first season is largely down to missed chances sparing him than actual good defending.

I mean I like him, he seems a good lad and hes got a great burst, but I dont consider him a good CB, like all our CBs, hes decent, with good moments and bad moments.
He tries he's just not good

The get back in the England thing is funny to me. I think I'd pick about 10 CBs over him right now. I'm still a little confused how he was ever in it to start with.

Maybe he'd be better given a run at CDM truthfully. Don't he can cross well enough to play fullback and don't think he has the wherewithal to play center back. The freedom to run and break up play might be his gig.

We do this with all our players where we think they're great at first and so when it is clear they aren't we think it can be saved based on some mythical first season. So it isn't surprising to see it here. But mostly they're crap from day one. Godfrey certainly was. His good first season is largely down to missed chances sparing him than actual good defending.

Eh, we also do this all the time. Saying that a player wasn't actually good, that their form was just an illusion...very easy to say now. If you were one saying it back then too, fine, go ahead. In reality he had some fantastic games at CB as well. Probably ideal as a gadget player, but there's definitely a better CB in there than what we saw this past season. A lot of people on this forum were saying he had all the tools to go to the very top.

I certainly understand that has been dampened now, but he has one elite skill and another very good one (tackling) that I'm willing to bet on. I think he's going to be a really valuable player for us still.

I understood that his fitness / heart recovery was impacted by covid and he did seem to have a drop-off in form at that time. He was then moved from position to position / different partners in a struggling side and never seemed to get into any sort of groove. I liked his tenacity, strength and pace - all useful attributes for a CB. Hopefully, a good pre-season and he pairs up with an incoming CB (and provides cover at RB).

If we played an aggressive three at the back with two wing backs - bit like chelsea did in the carabao cup final then I think he could play as one of the three as I think man to man marking, high up the pitch would suit him - bit like rudiger did/does.

Any other system and I think he’d be a useful utility back but not a starter.

If we can get back what we paid for him that would be good business, good attitude but hasn't shown us anything convincing as a footballer.

Status
Not open for further replies.