2021/22 Ben Godfrey

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we played an aggressive three at the back with two wing backs - bit like chelsea did in the carabao cup final then I think he could play as one of the three as I think man to man marking, high up the pitch would suit him - bit like rudiger did/does.

Any other system and I think he’d be a useful utility back but not a starter.

He starts alongside an organiser like Tarkowski in a back 4

He also starts (as you said) in a 3.

Tarkowski could unlock Godfrey rather than Keane hidering him.

Let us pray newcastle come calling. A centre half in back lines that has shipped 4 to Michail Antonio and 3 to Josh King. Good job he's quick is a phrase that's never applied more to any footballer

I wouldn't judge him too quickly, he has the things it is impossible to coach into a player, pace, power, strength and stamina. He is young enough for his obvious positional failings to be improved by the coaching staff. His lack of ability to challenge for a high ball is concerning, so, he would need to be partnered by a dominant ball winning centre back. Godfrey's weakness in the air could be compensated by his partner and likewise if a big dominant centre back, like Tarkowski for example, is caught by a ball over the top, Godfrey's pace would be very handy.

I'm not saying i think he's great, or that he will definitely make it here. I just feel that at his age and with his natural attributes, he is well worth persevering with for at least this season.

Was awful whenever he played last year - as were most of the back 4/5. Relegation material. Get shot of them all.
And sell the midfield while we're at it. None of them are good enough.
Cannot face another season like last year.
Complete rebuild needed.

Was awful whenever he played last year - as were most of the back 4/5. Relegation material. Get shot of them all.
Complete rebuild needed.
So, sell all of our defenders and midfielders. Then buy in 10 new players to replace the ones sold. A doddle.

Complete rebuild needed.
Money needed,and we have none.

I had very high hopes but I’m less confident in him now. He looks smaller than he actually is in a crowded box. Mega fierce on the ground but cack in the air.

Feel like during his development someone somewhere should have identified his weaknesses and tried to mould him to into a fast but straightforward full back. Like a less good version of the young Kyle Walker (or a bigger stronger and sexier version of Max Aarons).

That said, I never expected Holgate to put in the graft he did when we’d literally run of options. So there is hope.

Needs to apply for a restraining order against Keane to reignite his career post Covid/injury.

I had very high hopes but I’m less confident in him now. He looks smaller than he actually is in a crowded box. Mega fierce on the ground but cack in the air.

Feel like during his development someone somewhere should have identified his weaknesses and tried to mould him to into a fast but straightforward full back. Like a less good version of the young Kyle Walker (or a bigger stronger and sexier version of Max Aarons).

That said, I never expected Holgate to put in the graft he did when we’d literally run of options. So there is hope.

Needs to apply for a restraining order against Keane to reignite his career post Covid/injury.
He reminds me of a young David Unsworth (before he got fat).

Very aggressive, but doesn't have enough of a leap on him to be a centre-back, and isn't good enough on the ball to be a long-term option out wide.

Luckily for him, switching to a back-three could be the perfect solution, as it'll allow him to step out and act as a ball-winner without needing to worry too much about leaving space in behind.

He starts alongside an organiser like Tarkowski in a back 4

He also starts (as you said) in a 3.

Tarkowski could unlock Godfrey rather than Keane hidering him.
I hope so but I’m not convinced by him in a 2 - like you say playing alongside a leader at the back may bring him on.

I suspect lampard wants to play a 3 so long as he gets the right additions in

I still like Ben for us. What he’s good at you can’t teach and where he struggles is largely correctable with proper coaching. A lot of his mistakes are positioning and basic lapses. Expect he’ll be first choice going forward if he can keep himself fit.

Still laugh thinking about when Brands pulled out the Gabriel deal because they wanted £25 millions for him then he goes and panics and signs this lad for the exact same fee lol

Marcel Brands folks !

Status
Not open for further replies.