Best away atmosphere you've ever been to?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stoke away in the 3rd round of the Cup in 1984 at the old Victoria Ground.
Sunderland in the cup a few years back was good.
Old Trafford in 1983 Cup QF was good - but we lost that which kills it a bit.
Spurs away in the league in 1985.
Villa away in in 84 league cup semi and in the league in 1987.
Many others I've probably forgot about.

Language
Swansea away just before Christmas when Coleman and Barkley scored belters was a good one. We were unbeaten in 10 games, drawing with Spurs, Liverpool and (unluckily) Arsenal away, as well as beating United at Old Trafford. The delight and optimism after the second went in was palpable, and we sang “we’re gonna win the league”, I’m sure with some people actually considering it.

We obviously then lost at home to Sunderland on Boxing Day.
osman special wasn't it, just collapsed as he felt a striker on him when he had the ball the little shithouse, and ended our run

Chelsea away 3-3. When Funes Mori scored what we thought was the winner, kissing strangers on the head an all sorts, limbs everywhere..... Until Terry scored an offside, back heel, in the 9th minute of 4 added on. Everton that.

The atmosphere at the semi final at Leeds in 1995 takes some beating.....but I suppose that doesn't really count as it wasn't an "away" match in the accepted sense of the word, but a neutral venue.

Sadly, us Baby Boomers hold a distinct advantage over Millennials insofar as we have had so many more meaningful games back in the our younger day when not only were we frequently competing near the top of the league and playing in the late stage of cup competitions, tickets for away games were much more plentiful and easier to obtain ergo there were more Blues there to generate a fantastic atmosphere.

Off the top of my head.....here are five away games that still make the hairs on the back of my head stand up when I think of the electricity in the air when they were played.

1. Old Trafford, March 1983.....we lost a quarter final to an injury time goal but our nascent mid 80s team put up a great show and the whole of the Warwick Road End rocked to an Everton beat.

2. White Hart Lane, March 1985....Spurs were locked at the top of the table with us but we went down there and broke their resistance, and we were going mental on the terraces.

3. Villa Park, January 1984.....second leg of the Milk Cup semi final. We led 2-0 from the first leg and 17,000 of us made the trip to Birmingham and the sound of Blue Thunder rumbled round the ground.

4 The Pit, March 1979.....it was a midweek match under the floodlights and we trailed to a Dalglisg goal at half time. Dear old Andy King, God rest him, popped up with a late equaliser. We stood on the Anfield terraces singing "we're not going home" (to the tune of EE AYE ADDIO) for half an hour after the end.

5. Villa Park again, Easter 1987.....we filled half the stadium as a Kevin Sheedy goal set us up to clinch the Title at Norwich a couple weeks later.

Ah, happy happy days.

I hope you younger chaps get to enjoy the thrills of a successful, trophy chasing Everton team before much longer ;)

the Rooney game at Leeds, I can't remember an away game with the same buzz of anticipation as there was at Elland Road that day.
Great shout, I remember an old Fella, must of been about 70 after the game almost emotional saying to his son it was the only ground he had never seen Everton win at and now he had, the photo of Rooney jumping up taken from the other end of the ground is iconic

osman special wasn't it, just collapsed as he felt a striker on him when he had the ball the little shithouse, and ended our run
Absolutely should have scored five but the keeper had the game of his life, we were dominating a man down

The 10 minutes after the game when Jagielka equalised with that goal against the RS was pretty memorable.

The game against West Ham where Lukaku scored late on and they got into Europe on the fair play thing was also memorable.

I was right next to their fans, and every time they tried singing “we’re all going on a European tour” to goad us we sang “you’re all going on a European tour” right back to them (must’ve been the second Martinez season when we were proper crap?) and they really couldn’t understand it.

Stoke away in the 3rd round of the Cup in 1984 at the old Victoria Ground.
Sunderland in the cup a few years back was good.
Old Trafford in 1983 Cup QF was good - but we lost that which kills it a bit.
Spurs away in the league in 1985.
Villa away in in 84 league cup semi and in the league in 1987.
Many others I've probably forgot about.

Yep stoke 1984 Kevin Richardson with the away fans
Amazing atmosphere

Great shout, I remember an old Fella, must of been about 70 after the game almost emotional saying to his son it was the only ground he had never seen Everton win at and now he had, the photo of Rooney jumping up taken from the other end of the ground is iconic

My first season going away without my dad, the first game being Wrexham in the cup which was a bit of an eye opener.

We were right by where he came to and 3 of us ended up about 5 rows apart, seats snapped all over the place. Great day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back