Best Away You've Been to

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaddyG

Player Valuation: £8m
As the title suggests... What is the best away game you have been to? And why?

While Goodison is special, especially for the big games, there's something great about the away's. Seeing different places, different boozers and ticking different grounds off your list. The siege mentality of being in a small pocket of another team's ground and the limbs when we stick one in the back of their net is just oh so sweet.

For me, with a 2-0 away win at Man City a close second, my favourite away thus far is the 3-2 win against West Ham in Martinez' first season. It was early in the season, just off the back of a late flurry of signings in the transfer window and a 1-0 win at home to Chelsea, which gave hope of good things to come. My first (and last) trip to Upton Park and Evertonians were in fine voice. Met a load of great lads and sank a lot of beers that afternoon.

The first half was actually poor, with Jelavic up top on his own doing nothing and we went into half time 1-0 down. But Everton were shooting towards the away end in a crazy second half that saw Leighton Baines score two free kicks in opposite top corners to pull us back from behind twice and Romelu Lukaku make his Everton debut, knocking himself out in the process of scoring the winner. I had a great seat right behind the goal and ended up on MOTD that night as well. The win set us on our way to a great season and it was one of those days which reminded me why I love Everton so much. I'm also in this picture somewhere...

article-2426891-1824B02100000578-420_634x423.jpg

I've not been to a great number, but prior to going behind, City away in the League Cup last season had one of the best atmospheres.

Sadly we lost, and Greater Manchester Police went out of their way to try to assault our supporters and be a pain in the neck, but after Ross scored it was unreal.

As the title suggests... What is the best away game you have been to? And why?

While Goodison is special, especially for the big games, there's something great about the away's. Seeing different places, different boozers and ticking different grounds off your list. The siege mentality of being in a small pocket of another team's ground and the limbs when we stick one in the back of their net is just oh so sweet.

For me, with a 2-0 away win at Man City a close second, my favourite away thus far is the 3-2 win against West Ham in Martinez' first season. It was early in the season, just off the back of a late flurry of signings in the transfer window and a 1-0 win at home to Chelsea, which gave hope of good things to come. My first (and last) trip to Upton Park and Evertonians were in fine voice. Met a load of great lads and sank a lot of beers that afternoon.

The first half was actually poor, with Jelavic up top on his own doing nothing and we went into half time 1-0 down. But Everton were shooting towards the away end in a crazy second half that saw Leighton Baines score two free kicks in opposite top corners to pull us back from behind twice and Romelu Lukaku make his Everton debut, knocking himself out in the process of scoring the winner. I had a great seat right behind the goal and ended up on MOTD that night as well. The win set us on our way to a great season and it was one of those days which reminded me why I love Everton so much. I'm also in this picture somewhere...

article-2426891-1824B02100000578-420_634x423.jpg

I didn't know Jelavic was still there then?
West Ham was a good one but my seat was too low down and I didn't enjoy it that much, I was hungry too and had to leave in stoppage time to get food.

I've been literally 100s of away....not many grounds in England I've not been to...

Anyway 2 stick out for me...

Coventry 1-3 Everton

We were near bottom of the league under Smith and went there an was 3-0 by half time..... Gemmil,Carsley an Alexanderson I think....

Derby 3-4 Everton

Moyes 1st away games in charge, should have wend down that season but for him taking over. 4-1 up with 20 to go.....strouper scoured a worldly and went 4-3 with 5 to go....was a nervy last few...

Other mentions...

Ipswich 0-2 Everton Barlow, Beagrie
Lincoln city 3-4 Everton Rideout (3)
Westham every season for 6 years....
City away for 4 years....cahill last min.

So many to choose from....but top 2 will always live with me

Man Utd early 80s night game 1-0
Notts county fa cup quarter final I stupidly ripped me kecks climbing on the pitch when we thought the final whistle went than at the correct whistle ran over to kev the rat who said to me "f---ing brilliant!"
Semi v saints at Highbury,genuine tears of joy.
Also any West Ham away early 80s, just to have got home unscratched was a bonus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back