Best Team in the World in 86/87?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed - and in no small part that was thanks to Paul Power, who pretty much played everywhere!

What an incredible deal that was,I remember thinking what was HK thinking of bringing in as I thought an "over the hill,journeyman"shows how much I know eh?!!he had a new lease of life with us and was a major factor in us winning it!!

World Soccer picks a world team of the year, and has done since 1982.
Everton won the award in 1985 with 42% of the votes cast, of the club sides to win the award onlyMilan (1989), Ajax (1995), Manchester United (1999) and Barcelona (2006, 2009 and 2011) have won that many votes.
So yes in the eyes of the world's journalists we were the best side in the world in 1985.

Everton won the award in 1985 with 42% of the votes cast, of the club sides to win the award onlyMilan (1989), Ajax (1995), Manchester United (1999) and Barcelona (2006, 2009 and 2011) have won that many votes.
So yes in the eyes of the world's journalists we were the best side in the world in 1985.

I remember this well, infact it was the greatest yet least known accolade this club of ours has had imo.

I still think the Red****e's '86 double would have been ours if that kunt Aldo hadn't crocked Big Nev in an international halfway throught he season. He was that good.

So yes in the eyes of the world's journalists we were the best side in the world in 1985.[/QUOTE

This is a fact I wheel out when I'm trying to convince my mates we were once the best side about! And I am sure we would have won at least 1 major European trophy to go with our other - probably more!

As i've said before (and it's my overall stance)...

We're never gonna win the league without kajillions but wouldn't you just like to see us win the F.A Cup or something ffs? I'd love to see us put a bit of f*cking effort into trying to win the thing (or the League Cup), it's not like our league form will take a tumble.

We'll never be flirting with the idea of relegation with Moyes at the helm as stability is one of his (only, for me) key factors here, so why not detriment a few bloody places in the league in order to put effort into a cup?

We're quick to point to our history in defence of Everton and yet so avert in admitting that we're doing nothing to add to it...the Leeds defeat being the latest in shambolic performances in a cup we should be going full throttle for.

Don't take no tycoons millions to win a cup, just a bit of effort and the desire to add to your clubs already impressive honours list.

Agree with you totally. I posted pretty much the same piece on the other blue websites! At this moment in time the clubs "bread and butter" is to win a cup/cups and try to get as high up the league as possible, cos we are nowhere near winning the league.
A clubs history and success is based on it's honours and we have not won an honour of any note since 1995. We must address this. For the moment I would rather us finish 10th and win a cup than finish 5th and win nothing.

It drives me nuts to look at the teams who won the EC in the years the ban denied us, I'm not saying Steaua, Porto and PSV weren't good sides but there was no one really invincible until the later milan sides.

My dad is convinced we really had a shot at it.

Yep, all that generation say the same thing.

we never played football with links in the team ,it was the ball over the top time and time again ,which 9 times out of ten links got on the end of ,
This all day.
84-85 we played total football based on a 4-4-2 framework. mixed it up and had so much mobility and so many options we were unstoppable.
85-86 it was more of a rigid 4-4-2. Ok if you're going to play that style you can't pick a better front 2 than Lineker and Sharp but if you stopped the supply line to the strikers you could stop us.

I'm pretty confident that we would have won the EC more than once, in that period 84-87....I also don't think that team would have broke apart in the way it did, if we'd been playing in Europe.
I feel pretty sure too but you have to consider that R. Madrid team which won 5 la liga titles back to back from 86 to 90 and didn't even reach the final of the EC

No Spanish team won the EC from 66 to 92. The English league was the much stronger one in that period of time.
It was the team that beat us 6-1 in 1986. Yeah I know it was friendly.
The point is, They were a very good team dominating their league. Over here it's still a talking point that they couldn't reach a final. What I'm trying to say is that there's no guarantee we'd have won the EC.

Don't get me wrong. I'm still sick to my stomach that we didn't get the chance to try. And I think we had the mental strength and winning mentality to do it.
Just being devil's advocate* I suppose

*Argumentative cnut in plain English

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back