Booing the players.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reading this thread it sounds like 35,000 of us booed the team off at full time and it just wasn't like that at all.
Any booing was from a very small handfull ( more frustrated shouts than anything for that Jags backpass ).
It's probably just a quirk of sound editing / where Sky had their mics if it seemed different on TV.
On TV you can hear it plus you can hear the groans some players take like Besic and Rom.

I have no idea why Besic gets such treatment even in games where he was up there for MOM. I thought by the end of the season he would take Barry's spot and I've no problem with that schedule being brought forward.

Although I did like Barry at CB the other night.

I heard the booing last night and it did get me thinking about how we play.

Last season, the style of play was fine with everyone because we were winning games. Nothing much has changed since last season, but we do seem to be playing backwards a lot more often. Playing the long ball is NOT the answer and I don't think the sections of booing supporters want the long ball either.

The main change for me is that last season, the players would trust themselves and their team mates to successfully perform one touch, round-the-corner passes and generally take more risks going forward. This season, we seem to be a lot more reserved and the retention of possession is paramount; even in lieu of creating chances.

This is where the frustration of the supporters lies.

I honestly believe that this may be a confidence thing, or alternatively could be due to how poor our defence was at the beginning of the season. RM may be instructing the players to hold onto possession unless we are 100% certain that a successful pass can be made. We conceded a lot on the counter and this would seem to back this argument up.

Moving forward, we need to find the right balance. However, booing the players for going backwards at 3-1 up with two minutes to go is madness.

People have had enough?? We are playing low on confidence with some dumb mistakes/poor defending knovking us back down just as we look like we might get some wind in our sails.

We saw the same style last season but just faster and more precise which for me is lacking because of this inability to build up a run of form...again because of defending like we saw from tim/distin for the goal.

I can understand booing because youve watched years of exactly the same football under our ex and are sick and tired of it....or something like that...but booing last night was just plain idiotic and very indicative of the more common type of football fan aroubd these days. They want everything now and have no patience.

A team and manager that gave us a very good season just last season...and have us comfortably throughu to the next round of the Europa deserve much better than that nonsense last night.
I fully believe fans have had enough of groundhog day happening.

I'm not advocating a change of manager or players btw, just fans want that passionate, positive everton back. I'll hold my hands up and admit...last night i was bored! Absolutely bored.

Edit: Just to clarify, i didn't boo once either. But i was frustrated seeing an attacking FK go all the way back to the keeper. I'm sick to death of mistakes at the back/negative play...followed by RM coming out telling us how wonderful everything is.

I'd prefer positive play and him toning it down a bit.

not booing the player per se. booing the tactic of playing the ball backwards at freekicks in the opponents half.

I dont like it but I dont think it is at the players, it is at RM's tactics / style of play at particular points

Totally agree with this. I did remember booing Moyes tactics (I think we all did toward the end of his time at Everton) when we were lacking fit strikers against Blackburn away and he subbed off Anichebe for Neville! (Apologies if I got the names wrong if was a while ago). I think Martinez has the right agenda though - he's doesn't just accept a draw he'll always push for the win and like most people have said its tactics at the end of the day, not the players who generally get "boo-ed".

I think it's worth noting that playing proper manly football, where players aren't afraid to give the ball a good welly, was what brought us our last trophy win. Poncing around like a gang of blerts never won anyone anything.

The atmosphere was awful last night, sounds cliche but we need to get behind the team. I could've fallen asleep at times last night their was so little noise. As for the booing, we've transitioned from a pretty poor to watch direct team into one that plays passing football, if that means going back to the keeper to start the move again then so be it, I'd rather do that than lose the ball. There does need to be a bit more sharpness and a more direct passing approach than last season, but I think that's down to the movement off the ball of forward players rather than the style itself. For Southampton I'd like to see us play a similar way to how we did against Villa and Burnley and play a kind of diamond formation with Lukaku and hopefully Mirallas up front (if not then Eto'o), Naismith behind them two, Barkley and Besic/McCarthy and then Barry/Besic as the anchor at the bottom of the diamond. Full backs then supply width if needed but there's a lot more of an outlet for the player on the ball. Oh, and Stones NEEDS to play, he brings the ball out from the back and really gets the attacks going, he or Alcaraz are crucial to how we play, we need a ball playing centre back.

I think it's worth noting that playing proper manly football, where players aren't afraid to give the ball a good welly, was what brought us our last trophy win. Poncing around like a gang of blerts never won anyone anything.
Pretty sure Guardiolas Barca won almost everything with a bunch of pansies.

I fully believe fans have had enough of groundhog day happening.

I'm not advocating a change of manager or players btw, just fans want that passionate, positive everton back. I'll hold my hands up and admit...last night i was bored! Absolutely bored.

Edit: Just to clarify, i didn't boo once either. But i was frustrated seeing an attacking FK go all the way back to the keeper. I'm sick to death of mistakes at the back/negative play...followed by RM coming out telling us how wonderful everything is.

I'd prefer positive play and him toning it down a bit.

its only been just under half the season. its not a complete crisis. Patience patience and more patience please.

Of course it's frustrating to see how poor we are playing right now but the booing is unnecessary and counter productive. We loved them when they were in full throttle last season, let's get behind them when they are struggling. I don't think there is a single player not trying.

And I've said it before..but...what a manager says after the game means nowt. He will be doing his job behind closed doors. Insecure fans looking for some soundbite to assure them something is being done about what they are seeing.

The bottom line is booing at 3-1 is absolutely horrendous, I was embarrassed after Hull never mind last night. The fans have forgotten how to get behind the team, yeah it's boring at times but there's just no pleasing anyone anymore. Try and pass it and we boo, launch it long and Lukaku never wins a header and we give the ball away. Goodison needs to get real

The atmosphere was awful last night, sounds cliche but we need to get behind the team. I could've fallen asleep at times last night their was so little noise. As for the booing, we've transitioned from a pretty poor to watch direct team into one that plays passing football, if that means going back to the keeper to start the move again then so be it, I'd rather do that than lose the ball. There does need to be a bit more sharpness and a more direct passing approach than last season, but I think that's down to the movement off the ball of forward players rather than the style itself. For Southampton I'd like to see us play a similar way to how we did against Villa and Burnley and play a kind of diamond formation with Lukaku and hopefully Mirallas up front (if not then Eto'o), Naismith behind them two, Barkley and Besic/McCarthy and then Barry/Besic as the anchor at the bottom of the diamond. Full backs then supply width if needed but there's a lot more of an outlet for the player on the ball. Oh, and Stones NEEDS to play, he brings the ball out from the back and really gets the attacks going, he or Alcaraz are crucial to how we play, we need a ball playing centre back.

So you went the game ? What did you do about the atmosphere ? You were in a position to change it as you were in attendance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back