Homepage Article Can Godfrey do a job in midfield?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually feel sorry for Ben. Since his arrival he has been asked to play across the whole back line. He has given his all but really needs to settle into a position!

Hes not been given a chance to shine in one position at all. Imagine with Guardiola he would be trusted and flourish but can't think of any clubs with a settled system and coaching at the moment, Arsenal maybe. but if we don't get ourselves sorted he'll be another 'saleable asset' and will not blame him for leaving

Big NO.
What's he like in the middle moving the ball under pressure, different out wide.
What's he like passing under pressure, in the middle.
Why mess with him even more?
Its not like he's been developing at Ajax where they played Frenkie De Jong at CB for a season.
Needs to nail down a CB position and my money would be on him to do that if given the chance.

Should be Godfrey and Mina or Godfrey and Braithwaite for the rest of season come what may

Imagine Patterson-Godfrey-Braithwaite-Mykolenko at the back! it would be lol but would not be worse imho and at least would be prepping for the future. But yeah, but Mina in there as 'captain' and it ought to be ok surely, until we get bullied...

I dunno lads, i'm going crazy, but investing in the future seems like the only positive thing to do now.

I think Godfrey as a defensive midfielder is a great idea. Not a full back (not a good enough crosser or running in behind), not commanding enough or postionally savvy for a centre back, but if he can run all day and get his foot in (which he can), defensive midfielder could be his postion...

No. World of difference between looking 'ok' on the ball when you have time and space at the back or at full back, and playing on the half turn in centre mid. No chance and he would be constantly over running with the ball and or miss-controlling it.

Needs to play in the middle of defence with Mina. Then you have a big lump who can dominate in the air, and a quick one to play on the cover.

I think he suffers from being a good utility player. Whoever comes in next needs to settle the back 4 down. getting a cohesive unit is a must. Constantly chopping and changing the back line is never a good idea. The best teams have settled defences.

I think he’s be good in a midfield 3 sat in front of the defence. He can break forward with the ball well too. Hes worth a try at least

If it's just for game or two, would be alright. He's a good tackler and has outstanding recovery pace. I mean Holgate looked okay at DM for one game against United. But not long term. We won't survive without having midfielders who can do the fundamentals of receiving a ball, remaining calm, and picking out easy forward passes. We haven't had anyone in that profile since Barry (bar early Schneiderlin) and it's been one of our major impediments to success, under consecutive managers. You can't have just yard dogs in midfield, you also need at the very least a mix of technical ability and physical ability.

Big NO.
What's he like in the middle moving the ball under pressure, different out wide.
What's he like passing under pressure, in the middle.

Why mess with him even more?
Its not like he's been developing at Ajax where they played Frenkie De Jong at CB for a season.
Needs to nail down a CB position and my money would be on him to do that if given the chance.

Should be Godfrey and Mina or Godfrey and Braithwaite for the rest of season come what may
That pace though...goes past one player then accelerates and all of a sudden, the oppositions back four are panicking...

Tad too old me thinks
images (2).jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.