CARABAO CUP DATES

alan ball

Player Valuation: £70m
1720150086943.png

I`d like to see the 2 leg semi final done away with, just go with the draw to decide who gets home advantage. Nothing to do with fixture congestion, just think that for a one off game there is more chance of an upset for a weaker team if they get home advantage v a stronger team.

I`d like to see the 2 leg semi final done away with, just go with the draw to decide who gets home advantage. Nothing to do with fixture congestion, just think that for a one off game there is more chance of an upset for a weaker team if they get home advantage v a stronger team.
We would have made the final in 2015/16 (Martinez's last season) if it would have been a single leg for the semi-final. In the first leg at Goodison, we won quite comprehensively but were then knocked out at the Etihad.

I'd be in favour of having just one match to complete the semi-final, no other domestic competition had two-legged semi-finals. So why does the League Cup?

We would have made the final in 2015/16 (Martinez's last season) if it would have been a single leg for the semi-final. In the first leg at Goodison, we won quite comprehensively but were then knocked out at the Etihad.

I'd be in favour of having just one match to complete the semi-final, no other domestic competition had two-legged semi-finals. So why does the League Cup?
Its possible to raise your game for a one off game alright, but the second leg deffo gives the stronger teams a big advantage. That said we had a great chance to go 2-1 up at the start of the second half at the emptihad, but Gerri balls it up, and there was that cross for one of their goals the should have been a goal kick.

Its possible to raise your game for a one off game alright, but the second leg deffo gives the stronger teams a big advantage. That said we had a great chance to go 2-1 up at the start of the second half at the emptihad, but Gerri balls it up, and there was that cross for one of their goals the should have been a goal kick.
Gerri was hooked straight after that for Kone who provided zero threat or defence. Still think shipping out Naismith before these ties was a bad idea, would've done more. Also if I remember Mirallas got injured at the end of the first leg and Besic got injured in the game after the first leg, which didn't help.

Isn't it a bit of a hangover to how the format used to be in all the rounds of the league cup? I've got vague memories of the early rounds being over 2 legs, like I think we played Port Vale in the mid 90's over 2 legs and lost...I could be wrong

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.