2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had to put my thoughts down somewhere, and being from Oklahoma I don't have a lot of walls to bounce them off of. If this thought has been shared already, sorry about that, 2000+ pages and all. So for what it's worth: While I do think the timing of this is not great, right at the beginning of the window, this may not be as bad as perceived. Ancelotti is all pedigree. His CV speaks for itself. What it also tells me is that he is used to the upper 1% of the upper 1% when it comes to talent. His tactics are dictated by having the very best on the pitch. The rub with him coming to Everton is that to get the talent Ancelotti is used to working with often times requires European football. Getting into that top 6 was as critical as ever this season. To get the kind of squad Ancelotti would need to stay successful. And this squad fell short. At the end of the season they looked unconvincing with the strategy on the pitch and unmotivated to put in a full shift on match day. And we aren't even talking losses to top 6 teams, we are talking Newcastle, Sheffield United, [Poor language removed] Fulham. Those 9 points would have put us in Champions League. Carlos often looked dumbfounded as to the performance the players were giving him. I have always said the only motivation a professional athlete should be that they get to play a sport for a living. So much of the blame I put on the players, but you gotta wonder why we seemed to come out flat week after week, especially at Goodison. Losing Ancelotti is a huge blow, but it does not have to mean we can't get where we want to go. We need to bring in a manager who gets the very best out of his players week in and week out. Someone willing to adjust their tactics to fit the squad we are able to put on the pitch, showing the players he is gonna put them in the best possible position each week to get 3 points. I look at Moyes and what he has done with that west ham team, and think back to the teams he had at Goodison. He knows us, we know him, and perhaps he best fits the profile of the guy we need in this moment. If for some reason you are still reading this, i do apologize.

It's no bad thing imo. Carlo wasn't the right fit for the position we're in or the players we have.

It's a chance to reset with (hopefully) a younger coach who gets us playing with pace and intensity.

I'm pretty sure he's been told we're not buying any more James/Allan's and it's has been a factor, which I'm cool with.

We should use this to make big cultural change to the way the club is run. Get rid of the cosy old boys network and some of the dunces Moshiri should have chased years ago

Strong theory's on Talksport suggest Carlo is happy in terms of not caring about being sacked at the top clubs every two years or so. Two years here and two years there is a good little payday taking in some compensation on the way, in what he may call semi retirement working with good players with not to much hassle. At Everton it was to much hassle.

Try not to slam the door on the way out mate. Feeling a bit delicate today.
Mate if I wasn't holding down a fan club organisation I'd have bailed when unsieword was manager but I'm stuck a blue im afraid. And I love this club.

You know the feeling yourself Fred. Once its touched you. Just need let off steam. Then forget about soccer for a few days.

Strong theory's on Talksport suggest Carlo is happy in terms of not caring about being sacked at the top clubs every two years or so. Two years here and two years there is a good little payday taking in some compensation on the way, in what he may call semi retirement working with good players with not to much hassle.
He talked the talk here but it feels like what enticed him the most is that the checks cleared

You non local fans are effing sadists. I've got my tosspot of a dad and gobshite of a grandad to blame. To support everton you must feel a proper connection to the club anyone who doubts loyalty of our international following can gtf
Appreciate it buddy.

But can we just not say the players have contributed to this?

We can't call these players crap, then say that he's got the job at Madrid because of these players, lol.

He's got the Madrid job because he's jumped ship at the first opportunity he got. That's on him.

The players we have aren't good enough. Arguably though they were good enough not to finish 10th this season just gone. But yes, I worry for the next appointment.
But the players are crap mate. He got the Madrid job based on his previous stint there, his reputation and because he's a good coach, esp with top players. That's kind of the point I'm trying to make.

This guy is a top manager in the game and came 10th with this squad. Even if we give some allowance for injuries and the fact that we gave up for the last 5 games or so (prob due to the Madrid move in hindsight) we probably could've got 7th at best. That's with one of the top managers in the game. Where would a less experienced /decorated coach finish?

With this squad and our current state I am honestly worried about who we bring in next and where we end up. Trophies and Europe are a distant dream unless we get a top coach. It has to be someone with experience. The club needs stability while challenging for cups and qualifying for Europe. Even if only Europa Conference for a while.

Rodgers would be one of the few realistic choices that tick all the boxes for me. However he'd be hard to convince.

Would you be free to make a permanent flight across the pond buddy? You sound like the perfect successor to Ancelotti.....organised, passionate, communicative, respected. Could you work your magic on Iwobi?
Iwobi! You gatta be kiddin bro. My basement is full of unsold special made 'Wobi Verginians' sweat shirts. He did me like a kipper as yall say. I'd fire him on day one!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back