Match Thread Chelsea vs Everton - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll.

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's good to read (I think) a more balanced review of yesterday's match, which I could not follow until the result at the end. This is one of those games it looks like where a thin, inexperienced, tired squad would need refreshing by quality players and quality reserves.

2 observations:
- Unsworth / Brands have to show their value by producing some more squad players, so we are not only dependent on signings. I hope that the training, mentality, style of play are all coordinated across all teams so that people can slot into the first squad
- we need a big finish to get 5th place, and that would be a great season considering everything. ...say until the end of the season we can get 19 points from 11 matches - that will be a great season. We need to beat 61 points from Koeman's year, and also it might get us 4th somehow. In 11 matches, 5 wins, 4 draws and 2 losses will be a great finish, and it would include positive results against West Ham & Spurs, so that will help us get 4th or 5th

Jordan Pickford was MotM for me. Made some really decent saves and deserves all the praise that he's getting.

The game itself was a bit of a disappointment as I thought Everton would have made more of a fist of it than they did. Not trying to take anything away from Chelsea, they moved the ball around quickly and produtively; just felt we could have had a bit more of a 'go' at them. I've only seen the penalty once but thought it was a bit harsh. Not sure what a keeper is supposed to do really, Pickford has to make an attempt for the ball (which he did) and not just let the player waltz past him unchallenged.

All in all, I didn't expect us to win but I did expect us to put up more of a fight.

It gives a strange feeling of relief to lose a game which removes the ridiculous notion that we have a top 4 squad. We all know where we are at and so does Carlo. Whether the next window or the one after will take us there, who knows? I am relieved in some way that the closed grounds with the refund have saved me from paying to watch the awful standard of football we seem to be condemned to produce. I hope Carlo can change that by next season, otherwise the paying fans will let him know in no uncertain manner.

My first thought when I saw our line up was that TT was taking a few liberties and that Everton could really hurt us. If you’d had a real go in the first 20-25 mins you might’ve done some real damage but it might’ve gone badly wrong as well.
You’re really well organised, great defence, dangerous up top, but not much in the middle which is more likely to cost you in the trickier games.
Top 6 very doable. Top 4 not exactly a pipe dream but will require a bit more than last night. I’d like to see you make it, but not at our expense! Your CBs and Pickford were excellent.
Would you like to buy Jordan ? I'm sure we could agree a figure north of £50 million ....chicken feed for your owner.

I can't believe we're in the top 4 mix with this squad. I can see us dropping off with Docoure being out now but I think we will still make Europa this season which is 6th place and if we do Carlo has done a remarkable job with this group of players. I don't mind losing games but last night was about the manner of HOW we lost, it felt like their was no belief and we only started to pressure Chelsea when we were 2 down. If you're 'fighting' for top 4 surely there should be more drive, aggression and desire to get a result at one of your rivals. Anyway, Chelsea were clearly the better side and showed that. If Tuchel was in charge from the start of the season they'd be challenging for the league.

Fair result. Don't think we played badly, they were just much better than us. Chasing shadows as per the city game and we looked done at 75 mins. They moved the ball much quicker and their off the ball movement in the midfield was a lot better, so they just passed around us fairly comfortably. When we get it in the midfield, everyone else seems to run away or hide and as a result we're forced to try and play the killer ball all the time. Anyway, win next weekend and we're still in with a decent shout of Europe. I think Chelsea will end up second and based on this showing I could see them getting close next season.

chelsea's system was very good last night, at full strength we could do something similar like this

-------------Pickford--------------

-------Mina--Keane---Godfrey---

Coleman--Doucoure--Allan-------Digne

------James----------Richarlison---------

----------------DCL----------------------

chelsea's system was very good last night, at full strength we could do something similar like this

-------------Pickford--------------

-------Mina--Keane---Godfrey---

Coleman--Doucoure--Allan-------Digne

------James----------Richarlison---------

----------------DCL----------------------

Those players will not be fit together again at any point this season. Sad but true.

Those players will not be fit together again at any point this season. Sad but true.
giphy.gif

Good to see on reflection that we well beaten last night and not just down to an own goal and a penalty as some seemed to think.Chelsea had 2 more gears in reserve if needed and cruised at 2-0,even then it was Pickford who kept the score down.
Not surprised to be beaten with our midfield and we conceded what seems the obligatory goal around the 30 min mark which we have done many times over years to the top sides....Worried having to play a midfield that immobile over the remaining games will be a big problem for us,a few times in the game Chelsea got away with lax passing because our midfielders couldn't react quick enough to cut them out and gain possession.......

Sobering to read the printed press opinions. All say the same, the gulf in class is huge. We are miles behind and unless really class players are obtained we will not breach the gap.

Precisely, and it's what we severely, severely lack. It's mad that after so much investment we lack it, but it shows how poor recruitment has been in general.

James is a wonderful playmaker, but he's part of a dying breed. Doesn't mean he can't be brilliant, but we're still even seeing his impact reduced (when he's fit) to fleeting moments, because of a lack of quality elsewhere.

It also takes the onus off him, Digne and, to a lesser extent, Sigurdsson, to be our only creative players.
Hate to be pedantic, but Sigurdsson is our most creative player or equally so with James....certainly not’to a lesser extent’.
There must be a ‘lock-picker’ somewhere in World Football who could do that job for us surely. I think there was once an outside chance that it might be Ross Barkley....but we know how that one went.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back