Clash of the (Tennis) Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
since the women's game turned into a crappy version of the mens game thanks to the williams brothers....

Yes.

go for the jugular rob, nice one.

federer is the pele of tennis, no talent like him up to then, none equal to him after.

seles was the first she-male type on the circuit - davenport after - the french woman thats massive whos name i forget.

my favourite tennis player currently is justine henan - best backhand in world tennis.

no beating around the bush with me suits :)

I miss the days of classy tennis, played by the likes of hingis and kournikova, it was about the delicate touch and disguise on clever shots.

Now its about pumping weights and twatting it as hard as you can. Shame.

novotna vs graff

graff was a big girl but knew the intricasies (sp) of the court.

for a long time the womens game has been the most entertaining, especially when compared to the 6'7" croat/serb that can out serve anyone one his day, rusedski, roddick, phillipousis... its all about serve now, which.. .ruins the spectacle.

how many years before rollerball becomes a sport.

The main problems are the rackets suits, they give so much speed and power over what a human can naturally produce with a degree of accuracy.

I say go back to small wooden rackets like in the days of mcenroe and borg, navratilova etc.
or as I would put it, When people watched tennis because it was entertaining.

You guys make it sound like serving ala Sampras is an easy thing to do. I much prefer a good grass or hard court game (aces and all) than a clay court game that usually consists purely of base court rally after base court rally.

well, don't forget sampras wasn't a big serve monster, yes it was a good weapon for him, but his net play and stroke play was what made him a tennis great.

Anyway, i was only bemoaning the women's game, mens sports should and are all about power, speed and pace and finding the balance.
If you make women's sports based on these three manly things, then what you end up with is a watered down shitty version of the mens games, albeit with tits and skirts.

I don't think it's the power that's the problem but rather the variety (or lack of). If every mens game was a Sampras v Ivanisavic then it'd get pretty boring but put Sampras v Agassi and you have tennis from the gods. Ditto Federer v Nadal because they're both different styles. Andy Murray has been good in that regard too.

The womens game however can be very, very similar. Of the leading players you only really have Henin and Mauresmo who can mix it up with a sliced backhand or a charge on the net, the rest are nearly all biff and bash merchants from the back, two handed backhands etc.

It's the lack of variety that makes the game boring imo, not too much power.

same thing if you ask me, the women are mostly all playing a power game....

Mauresmo IMO is another "biff and bash" merchant if you ask me, henin on other hand, yeh she is top draw.
Nice to see hingis come back.

Just because Mauresmo looks like a man doesn't make her any less subtle than Henin :) Both play with a one handed backhand, both aren't afraid of coming to the net (especially on grass) and both have the option of slice to mix things up.

If you want clones then look at the Russian/Eastern European girls.

whats all this about a one handed backhand, makes no odds to me... hit it with one or two, but where is the manuevering of your opponent around the court, the drop shots, the lobs the moments where the commentator has a mini orgasm over the cheekiness and skill of a shot.

mauresmo is one of the butch french girls, is mary pierce the other?

it was great when hingis broke onto the scene, she had so much more talent for the game than the grocks, anyone can hit the gym and put muscle on then out grunt a player, rafter was good for mixing the game up and being unpredictable.

i dont watch that much tennis but murry dont rely on a big serve but still wins more then that [Poor language removed] head henman and rudseski (or what ever tha canadian blokes name is)put together!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back