class of 86

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lucky boots......have you ever heard such bollocks,that must be code for I'm s*** and I've just cost us the title,if that was today he'd be slaughtered,thinks he's Jimmy Grimble the beaut.........ah repressed memory :rant:

Well, if there was one man who cost us the title it most certainly wasn't the one who scored 40 goals for us :p

Without Lineker and his 40 goals we wouldn't have been anywhere near winning it that year.

My own particular scapegoat?

The groundsman at Lansdowne Road, Dublin.

No wonder I hate sodding rugby :rant:

Well, if there was one man who cost us the title it most certainly wasn't the one who scored 40 goals for us :p

Without Lineker and his 40 goals we wouldn't have been anywhere near winning it that year.

...referring to Southalls ankle and Bobby Mimms I think. It was a dreadful pitch that.

I spoke with Colin Harvey about it one time over the summer in Rotterdam. He pinpointed losing at Luton on the plastic pitch having been one up until quite late on. His attitude was you should never lose once in front. It is about application and concentration from then on. My own memory of that game was that we were never comfortable on the plastic but basically could not decide whether to stick or twist, get the second or sit tight. Luton were decent at home.
It is true what you say though. Big Nev in goal and we win the league....and probably the double.

Lucky boots......have you ever heard such bollocks,that must be code for I'm s*** and I've just cost us the title,if that was today he'd be slaughtered,thinks he's Jimmy Grimble the beaut.........ah repressed memory :rant:
he was worse that night than stuey barlow in the "Rosenthal"derby at the pit,must have missed half a dozen one on ones withe the keeper,then les Phillips in injury time,gggrrrrrr!!!

Harsh that mate,that groundsman worked 18 hrs a day for 200 punts a week and a bag of spuds,not a millionaire with magic boots

Imagine him in the Bayern Munich game. He wouldn't have come out for the second half.
It got pretty brutal that night,on and off the pitch,Reidy must have lost half his bodyweight in blood that night and I remember the crowd in the enclosure having a right do with the German bench,Darracott went over to appeal for calm,no-one took any notice,what a nightlol

Agreed mate it's all Linekers fault,Les Phillips ffs
I know mate,I know he got forty goals but we "accommodated" him that year,went a bit more direct with the through balls for his pace and normally he could finish,not that night though and every time I see him on MOTD thats my biggest memory of him not scoring at Anfield,just Oxford,bloody Oxford,I need therapy I'm sure:rant:lol

Sorry to be pedantic, but this thread should be entitled CLASS OF 1985.

Class of 1986 featured Lineker, a completely different style of play geared towards Lineker's strengths, and ultimately... disappointment as we ended up trophyless that season, and beaten by the Reds in both the league and cup.

Class of 1985 though... different story.

Never get board of watching that. Immense.

That video ... class.

Who was the old fella sat next to Kendall in that Luton game?

Heath - never was the same after that injury. My mate trod on him on purpose and the araldite I used on his base badly effected his balance.

Let's remember too, that these lads played with a heavier and harder ball, most modern players wouldn't be able to kick.

That video ... class.

Who was the old fella sat next to Kendall in that Luton game?

Heath - never was the same after that injury. My mate trod on him on purpose and the araldite I used on his base badly effected his balance.

Let's remember too, that these lads played with a heavier and harder ball, most modern players wouldn't be able to kick.
Seriously?the old fella next to Kendall?

Our very own sugar daddy John Moores

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back