Confirmed Signing Conor Coady

Status
Not open for further replies.
A loan is a weird one. Very surprised Wolves are happy with it, because their defence looked pretty average on Saturday. Well at least from the MOTD highlights anyway

I’m convinced that FL preferred system is a back 3 / 5. As soon as he arrived, next u23 game they reverted to that. And that explains the interest in Coady.

Not bothered what system we play as long as it works
Lampard dispensed with the 3 at the back after his first 2 games in charge because CMs became available to him like Delph and Donny VDB. He then went to 4 at the back from then on until the Chelsea game at home, then he stuck to that for the last 5 games.

After starting at Newcastle with 3 at the back, he set up with 4 at the back against Leeds, Southampton, City. Then we played Spurs away and got mauled with 4 at the back and he dropped the system for 3 at the back against Wolves at home. Then he went back again to 4 for the win against Newcastle at home. Stayed with 4 at the back against WHU, Burnley, Man United, Leicester at home and Liverpool, then reverted to a 3 for the Chelsea game, Leicester away game, Watford, Brentford, Palace and Arsenal games.

This is not a manager wanting ideologically to play 3 at the back. He went there because of what was available to him in midfield...if he thought the 2/3 CMs could do a job in front of the defence, the system was 4 at the back.

This will be seen again to be the case once Gueye and Onana are in the team. Regardless of Coady - who in any case will play in a 4 and has done before.

…Keane was awful on the right of a three last time we tried it for a few games. I think it was Stoke away where he couldn’t cope without the security of a RB and their left side (Peters?) had free reign.
If Coadey does arrive I'd still look at offloading Keane.

I'm pretty certain it'll be Holgate - Coadey - Tarkowski with Coleman backup RCB and Mykolenko backup LCB ahead of Keane - minimum

Wonder if he'll get asked in his interview to tell us all how big Everton are. Hope he just laughs.
I really hope he popcorns the hell out of us. People's heads would explode. We all know he is a massive red anyway so if he says anything about how great a club we are etc, we know he is lying. Honestly couldn't care less as long as he performs for us.

This is fine as long as we don’t knee jerk sack Frank at the first sign of headwind. Having a random collection of players suited to different systems is part of why we are in this current mess. We need strategic thinking at every level of the club
I'm hopeful that the owner has learned his lesson now with regard to one jerk sackings of managers, but, even so, that is one of the roles of Thelwell, he is there to ensure continuity should the coach leave or be sacked. We have to develop a playing style and stick to it.

If Coadey does arrive I'd still look at offloading Keane.

I'm pretty certain it'll be Holgate - Coadey - Tarkowski with Coleman backup RCB and Mykolenko backup LCB ahead of Keane - minimum

….I’m sure they’d love to offload Keane. I never thought there was a chance because of his contract but that situation might just change in coming weeks if Coady comes in.

i wouldn’t be surprised if his ego kicks in when he’s left out in the cold & he knocks on Lampard’s door. It could be an opportunity for a deal to be done.

….I’m sure they’d love to offload Keane. I never thought there was a chance because of his contract but that situation might just change in coming weeks if Coady comes in.

i wouldn’t be surprised if his ego kicks in when he’s left out in the cold & he knocks on Lampard’s door. It could be an opportunity for a deal to be done.

We are realistically going to be without Godfrey until the restart after the world cup. That gives him until boxing day to recover. The break in early November feels far too soon. Then we just can't rely on Mina.

So I think we have Tarkowski, Holgate, Keane, and probably Coady to play in a back 3. Coleman could fill in at right of the 3 and Mykolenko could probably fill in at left. But we have 4 out and out centre backs for a back 3 system. I don't think we will sell any of them now.

Status
Not open for further replies.