Confirmed Signing Conor Coady

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's all down to stability of the squad though isn't it?

We conceded the most amount of goals we've ever conceded in the premier league and escaped relegation with 1 game remaining.

West Ham have been solidly midtable/top 8 for a few years with a good defensive record.

I'd be more concerned about paying £22mill on a Diop and him not fixing our issues than getting Coady in for half that price.
You obviously have not watched much football lately.

Everton were bad defensively last season. Mostly because of set pieces and injuries.

Wolves had a goalie that statistically was much better than all other goalkeepers in the league. Wolves' defence was terrible. Among the worst in the league. Probably worse than Everton's from open play.

When Wolves now are trying to fix their horrific defence, the first thing they did was to keep Coady away from the team. They spent big money to sign Nathan Collins, a 21 year old CD that spent last season on the Burnley bench. He wasn't a starter for a team that was relegated but has impressed this summer and will always keep Coady out of the starting eleven.

Coady might be a nice guy, I don't doubt him as a leader and it is a massive plus that he always seems to be available - but as a central defender there must be more than 100 players in the league that can do a better job than Coady.

IMG-20220808-WA0004.jpg

Everton were bad defensively last season. Mostly because of set pieces and injuries.

Wolves had a goalie that statistically was much better than all other goalkeepers in the league. Wolves' defence was terrible. Among the worst in the league. Probably worse than Everton's from open play.

When Wolves now are trying to fix their horrific defence, the first thing they did was to keep Coady away from the team. They spent big money to sign Nathan Collins, a 21 year old CD that spent last season on the Burnley bench. He wasn't a starter for a team that was relegated but has impressed this summer and will always keep Coady out of the starting eleven.

Coady might be a nice guy, I don't doubt him as a leader and it is a massive plus that he always seems to be available - but as a central defender there must be more than 100 players in the league that can do a better job than Coady.
I agree mate.

Always struck me as a player that got a lot of publicity for not that much quality play.

If he helps us defend set pieces, great. But beyond that I dont see a player in there.

Is he whinging though, or is he just making an observation?

I know people find it really difficult to understand but not everything has to be wonderful or terrible. It’s perfectly fine to think the business this summer has been just ok, maybe some good some bad. You can think coast and tarkowski are good solid centre halves but that signing both might be overkill or that gana on a free would be great but gana for £10m might not be a good deal.
At this point I'm not sure you can reasonably call it overkill. Without those 2 our centre back corps currently is Holgate, Keane and 18 yo Reece Welch. Whilst they clearly want to play 5 at the back.

We aren't getting a budding young player for less than we are paying for the loan fee on coady whilst Branthwaite is back next year. The only one that doesn't make sense talking about ages is Gueye given how bloated with crap our midfield already is

For context here. Only 4 teams conceded fewer goals than Wolves last season.

Wolves defense was terrible? LOL. They didnt score any goals and still finished 10th. Really really bad at defending!

Tarkowski and Coady - both established central defenders and both of whom were Club skippers. Reckon the pair of them playing alongside each other may be looking for trouble as they both vye for the role of Alpha male. Sincerely hope not but it could all end in tears.

They key right now is to survive in the league until the new stadium is up.

Tarkowski and Coady strike me as savvy signings - and leaders both. They go a long way to solving a huge problem. We have a good idea what we can expect from those two. The real gambles are the Onana and McNeil signings. That's also why they come with some potentially big upsides. But there is a risk.

We now need to get in a proper striker.

why make things up? its enough to say you dont want coady in without lying to justify it

Status
Not open for further replies.