Counter Attacking

Status
Not open for further replies.

everythingisgood

Player Valuation: £1m
One thing I noticed last night is our inability to create anything on the counter attack. I don't know if this is because Chelsea closed us down well or because it is there speciality so I was comparing it to them.
Whenever we were attacking you always had this feeling that a Chelsea player would get the ball, run with it and create a scoring oppurtunity. This is not something we do very often- most of the time we just hoof it away or pass and lose it. I think we need more players who will feel comfortable on the ball, who will run with it through the middle. Obviously I wouldn't want us to use it as our sole attack like Chelsea seem to!
Do you think this is something lacking from our game? Or was it just that Chelsea are the masters?

Counterattacking is prob our biggest weakness. We don't have guys who could run and hit a player in stide like Chelsea does. Nobody in the midfield has that ability. Arteta takes his time. Cahill and Osman aren't good passers. Pinnear is good at short flicks and crosses but has to get deep into the opponents territory so does Fernandes. In the back Hibbert, Valente are Bainsey are all crossers.

The so called top four, and even Spurs against Arsenal have that added extra yard of pace to defend and then break, whenever we got bodies in the Chelsea box you always felt the ball will drop to a Chelsea player and off they go, MU's last goal against Reading, Spurs last 3 v Arsenal started at the edge of their own box, RS and Arsenal do it,

It's not just that. The better teams have enough faith in their defenders to regularly leave a few men in advanced positions so when they win the ball back they often have options. Against the best teams we often put 10 men behind the ball and so have very little to go with on the break.

It's not just that. The better teams have enough faith in their defenders to regularly leave a few men in advanced positions so when they win the ball back they often have options. Against the best teams we often put 10 men behind the ball and so have very little to go with on the break.

Very good point there Bruce.

Lescott is our only box to box man and unless Stubbs is on the pitch seems very reluctant to push up on his runs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back