David Weir the new Sheffield United manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howe wasn't a disaster at Burnley. They didn't want him to leave; he chose to go back to Bournemouth because he wanted to be close to his family. There was a story on him on the BBC website today: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24475451

I meant personally, as i said look who's been Burnley's star player this year, Danny Ings, signed by none other than Eddie Howe, he admitted that he wasn't enjoying it due to not being able to settle and that was affecting him and the team!

Thought he stepped up far too quick when he took the role. They appointed David Weir the PLAYER, with glowing player references and no doubt top grades with his Pro License.

Yes he's intelligent and knowledgeable, but he barely cut his teeth in a non playing role before stepping into the lions den.

Slow it down Davie, slog it out coaching, learn man management in a less demanding environment and step it up with experience behind you. I can think of a LOT more experienced coaches who've been through Everton that would balk at the Sheff Utd job.

Hate to break this to you dave, but, err, he never (to use your words) 'appointed' (paraphrase) Smith.

That's just semantics. He became owner and could have drawn a line under the Smith years by letting his contract run out or sacking him; he chose neither. he went with an extension and that was that - mind numbing football and relegation scraps.

And also, 2 out of 3 is not chequered. Chequers are normally 50/50 and symmetrical.

Again, semantics. You can choose a word to describe a hit and miss hiring and firing policy if you wish.

My point was simply this: the Smith extension and the serious consideration given to appointing a complete novice like Weir means we've had as much chance of sliding down the snake as climbing the ladder with Kenwright making these decisions.

Sad to hear was a decent toff. Wonder will he be of to Utd now.

Moyes rated him high enough to take over from him here at this club; surely wor Davie wont turn away Weir now he's available to hire again? That would be pretty hypocritical if he doesn't.

Utd fans already complaining about their new backroom staff, would be hilarious if Moyes decides to bring in Weir who has lost his last 7 games with a side that should be challenging for promotion.

Wasn't there a bit of a pro Walter movement in the fans round that time for sticking the knife into Agent Johnson or my memory playing tricks?

Wasn't there a bit of a pro Walter movement in the fans round that time for sticking the knife into Agent Johnson or my memory playing tricks?

Iirc yes. There was a perception Walter had been allowed to get in decent players at a fair amount of money only to be told relatively soon after that he had to let them go. It became clear to him that whatever his chances of getting us up there challenging there would not be the backing he had enjoyed at Rangers. He then seemed to go very cautious and some of the teams put out were ultra defensive. Made moyes ice look like guardiola at times! He definitely went up in fans estimation when he got stuck into agent Johnson but ultimately his teams were terrible, seemed to favour a small group of trusted old pros, fell out with young up and coming local players and I honestly think we were going down until Moyes' arrival gave us a much needed new manager effect that saved us that season. Two quick wins home to Fulham, away to derby, a bit of positivity and voila!

Iirc yes. There was a perception Walter had been allowed to get in decent players at a fair amount of money only to be told relatively soon after that he had to let them go. It became clear to him that whatever his chances of getting us up there challenging there would not be the backing he had enjoyed at Rangers. He then seemed to go very cautious and some of the teams put out were ultra defensive. Made moyes ice look like guardiola at times! He definitely went up in fans estimation when he got stuck into agent Johnson but ultimately his teams were terrible, seemed to favour a small group of trusted old pros, fell out with young up and coming local players and I honestly think we were going down until Moyes' arrival gave us a much needed new manager effect that saved us that season. Two quick wins home to Fulham, away to derby, a bit of positivity and voila!

Walter Smith is up their with Mourinho as being the biggest checkbook manager.

If he wasn't Fergies best mate he'd never had a managerial career

That's pretty much how I thought it was. Wasn't going the match as much during those few years so my sample of opinions was limited but think we understood why BK gave him the extension on the back of it. Walt was bobbins though.
It was a bit of stretch, even by Davek standards. to call his extension an appointment in the first place. But sometimes you just gotta step back and admire the craftsmanship.

Status
Not open for further replies.