2022/23 Demarai Gray

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got exited didnt we after his first 6 games or so

Theres a reason he was 1 million or what ever, if he kept up that early form he would be about 50 million but he obviously cant sustain it
Spot on. I think he's some good traits and can clearly produce some magic moments (Arsenal last season... the free kick for Palace etc.), but it's not consistent.

He's also often predictable in the sense that he'll come inside more often than not although yesterday, when I wanted him to, he tried to score at the front post.

A competent squad player and would be useful coming off the bench when teams are shattered although I suspect he'll play more regularly than we'll like.

Spot on. I think he's some good traits and can clearly produce some magic moments (Arsenal last season... the free kick for Palace etc.), but it's not consistent.

He's also often predictable in the sense that he'll come inside more often than not although yesterday, when I wanted him to, he tried to score at the front post.

A competent squad player and would be useful coming off the bench when teams are shattered although I suspect he'll play more regularly than we'll like.
Yes agreee its more a case of we have no one else rather than how good he is

He was continually doubled up on yesterday so he was checking back. Looked most dangerous when we broke on them but the final decision let him down. Think as @PhilM says he's useful for certain situations. Personal view is if we're playing more cautiously, say away, and look to counter or if defending a lead and can look to stretch teams with breakaways.

Helps if there's a forward to aim for though.

Thought he was dreadful yesterday.

That chance first half where he turns his man and is basically 2 on 1 vs Silva, he could’ve absolutely destroyed him for pace but completely bottled it and played the pass which Silva wanted him to play. If he chooses to play that pass, he has to create a different angle or chip it to make sure it comes off. Instead he did neither.

I think Gray is a player who plays off instinct mostly, moving/passing where feels right rather than assessing the situation on the spot. Gordon is similar to a lesser extent imo. I think both could look good in a well drilled system that works to set attacking patterns as their instinctive passes and movement would (with some bedding in) come off a lot more. Playing a different formation (no striker), with different players than their used to doesn't play to their strengths. Gray looked really good at the start of last season I think because the attacking set up at the time was really arranged to suit him.

Status
Not open for further replies.