Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Benzos are so effective because they treat the symptoms of anxiety directly. Anti-depressants try to cure it indirectly which obviously isn’t as effective.

I genuinely believe counselling or group support is the best remedy in nearly all situations. Unfortunately, it is drastically under funded and harder and harder to get without paying privately.
Blue I believe the medication model is best when utilized alongside / as an adjunct with therapy. People may need that lift in mood to give them the motivation to attempt or think about trying therepeutic interventions. As I've stated beforehand and above, it really is subjective. On the topic of Benzos a lot of the people I work with regularly use them and of course they do help. There is a caveat though. You can become reliant on them and that in itself can for some become problematic. I try to discourage the people I care for from reaching for medication as a default solution to anxiety problems but as you have said Blue, therapy is hard to access. The one thing that REALLY concerns me is the side effect profiles of psychotropic drugs, lethargy, lack of motivation and frankly the detrimental effects they have on the quality of people's lives.

Found myself not to long ago attending a social services meeting trying to explain that the reasons a young lady s children were not attending school was not the attitude or poor parental skills she had, more a case of how her prescribed medication was for all intents and purposes, stupifying her. Unable to get out of bed in morning, unable to go shopping due extreme tiredness, basically struggling to function. The poor girl was when unwell, floridly psychotic but the very thing that eleviated her symptoms - anti psychotics - was having a devastating effect on her life hollistically. As ever when dealing with treating very poorly people, ethical issues are never too far away. Treat the psychosis but with a price at some juncture.

Trial and error but it's people's lives and you have to be very sensitive to people, and loved ones, needs. Fine balance required.

This place is an absolute God send, especially for anyone in a moment of crisis, or if you need to share when you don’t have anywhere else to turn.
Blue you are so so right. Just having someone who will listen and care, when they think hope is lost, is priceless. You don't need to be an expert, just someone who cares and THAT my friend can make a huge difference. Take care buddy.

Blue I believe the medication model is best when utilized alongside / as an adjunct with therapy. People may need that lift in mood to give them the motivation to attempt or think about trying therepeutic interventions. As I've stated beforehand and above, it really is subjective. On the topic of Benzos a lot of the people I work with regularly use them and of course they do help. There is a caveat though. You can become reliant on them and that in itself can for some become problematic. I try to discourage the people I care for from reaching for medication as a default solution to anxiety problems but as you have said Blue, therapy is hard to access. The one thing that REALLY concerns me is the side effect profiles of psychotropic drugs, lethargy, lack of motivation and frankly the detrimental effects they have on the quality of people's lives.

Found myself not to long ago attending a social services meeting trying to explain that the reasons a young lady s children were not attending school was not the attitude or poor parental skills she had, more a case of how her prescribed medication was for all intents and purposes, stupifying her. Unable to get out of bed in morning, unable to go shopping due extreme tiredness, basically struggling to function. The poor girl was when unwell, floridly psychotic but the very thing that eleviated her symptoms - anti psychotics - was having a devastating effect on her life hollistically. As ever when dealing with treating very poorly people, ethical issues are never too far away. Treat the psychosis but with a price at some juncture.

Trial and error but it's people's lives and you have to be very sensitive to people, and loved ones, needs. Fine balance required.

I am not clinically trained and have no experience of psychotic symptoms or the medication required.

I know Benzos are great short term, but the addiction potential is huge, and someone with anxiety and a Benzo addiction doesn’t seem a great solution to an increasingly common problem.

Can you share any more tips from the course mate ?

The above is the link to the service in Lancashire. I guess they will run similar services across the country

Relaxation was a good session. If you have alexa ask her about relaxation and she will go through the muscles neck etc

Mindfulness is important. Just smiling to someone when you say hello makes you feel better

If you are in crisis just stop. Take deep breaths and stay in control. Don't act impulsively. We've all done it when we've sent nasty emails or texts where it just inflames matters. Stop, think, what impact will sending it have

Just spend time on yourself. What do you enjoy doing. What makes you happy. Focus on those rather than something negative

It's a six day course and you have to engage to get the best out of it. The staff are brilliant and so supportive

Topical discussion with Nicky Campbell talking about being abused as a child and the terrible thoughts and memories he's had since it happened. I would encourage anyone to share it with a trusted person IF your struggling with abuse you've experienced and you think talking about it would help you. It's very subjective of course and some people feel they are able to deal with coping with the abuse they experienced. Health Professionals will discuss confidentiality issues and talk about support availability and what it entails. There are other considerations when disclosing to someone they have been abused by people supporting you will be open, transparent and above all be very supportive and sensitive.
There are lots of people who want to help, want to listen so please be assured that your well being will be at the forefront of any person who helps.

If you've been abused physically, sexually or mentally, I promise IT WAS / IS NOT YOUR FAULT AND YOU DID NOT DESERVE IT. You are so so brave having to live and cope with what you are experienced and I bow to no man in my admiration abuse survivors. Remember people, if you feel you are coping then continue with how your dealing with your experiences but if you are not, and you feel like you need help, chat to a health professional, a friend or relative you trust because I'm sure they want to help and will be happy to listen.

If anyone needs to have a chat with me about the above, please DM me and I will get back to you as soon as I can. Take care.

This place is an absolute God send, especially for anyone in a moment of crisis, or if you need to share when you don’t have anywhere else to turn.
Good friend of mine hung himself couple of weeks ago. He had some issues. But he also had a lot of people he could have reached out to as well.
I've had a lot of work related anxiety recently that moved into depression, and it's always small things being over inflated, slights, and outbursts that trigger stuff.
Off work now and it gets to recede.
Good that sometimes you can see light somewhere you don't expect.

Someone I confided in privately through this thread (and PMs) several years back just shared details of those conversations in a thread about a player. Currently not popular in there because I shared some strong views about a subject matter that people are currently talking about in Everton online communities.

Anyway, just feel the need to reiterate a point. If ever you lend an ear to someone whom then confides in you about personal troubles then you have a responsibility to almost never share the details of these chats, even if things ended up going south between the two of you down the road. I'm not angry, just disappointed. Please don't betray people everyone.

How is everyone by the way? I haven't posted much in thread the last year or two, but that's because I honestly haven't felt the need too. Things have been pretty stable and that's all you can ask for, the odd wobble here and there but I've managed to get back on track fairly quickly.

I hope everyone is coping okay, and if you're not please share what's bothering you because everyone's anonymous here.

Someone I confided in privately through this thread (and PMs) several years back just shared details of those conversations in a thread about a player. Currently not popular in there because I shared some strong views about a subject matter that people are currently talking about in Everton online communities.

Anyway, just feel the need to reiterate a point. If ever you lend an ear to someone whom then confides in you about personal troubles then you have a responsibility to almost never share the details of these chats, even if things ended up going south between the two of you down the road. I'm not angry, just disappointed. Please don't betray people everyone.
Many times over the years I’ve been told “I’ve been asked not to tell anyone but…”, my reply “Well don’t tell me then”. I agree 100% if we are party to a confidence we have a duty to keep it to ourselves. On a personal level I would never even tell my husband if someone had shared their secret with me.

Good point made. I often offer support and advice and I do so willingly but in the case of DM I can assure complete confidence as those who have reached out to me can attest. Please be aware folks of the sensitive nature of the topic of mental health especially when others confide in you. This is a wonderful forum and a great place to get advice and support long may it continue.

Good point made. I often offer support and advice and I do so willingly but in the case of DM I can assure complete confidence as those who have reached out to me can attest. Please be aware folks of the sensitive nature of the topic of mental health especially when others confide in you. This is a wonderful forum and a great place to get advice and support long may it continue.

Many times over the years I’ve been told “I’ve been asked not to tell anyone but…”, my reply “Well don’t tell me then”. I agree 100% if we are party to a confidence we have a duty to keep it to ourselves. On a personal level I would never even tell my husband if someone had shared their secret with me.

100% agree guys, thanks. Hope neither of you or anyone else has ever had something similar happen.

None of what the poster put in the public thread particularly bothered me, it was stuff that's not relevant to anymore and I haven't thought about in ages. I'm just very disappointed they would do that, in a reply to an opinion I posted that wasn't even about him/her. Revealing private conversations, that had nothing to do with the current subject matter under discussion, all because I wrote something they took issue with. If you feel strongly that it was out of order then PM and say that you think it's out of order (or just refuse to interact with that person again). Don't throw something else that that person privately confided in you about, after you offered to lend an ear, back in their face literally years later.

Doing fine overall though, not perfect but who can honestly say that they are? Felt FAR worse. Hope everyone is enjoying their days.

Anyone ever tried hypnotherapy? Am thinking of it after another big anxiety flare up
Tim, I would say this to everyone. Doesn't make a difference if it works - or not for other people. You are different to us all so give it a shot fella. If it works great, if not then keep experimenting in finding what works for you. I was recently working with someone who said to me " you know what, I've started watching restoration videos on You Tube and it chills me out ". If it works Tim stick with it. Good luck with it.

Anyone ever tried hypnotherapy? Am thinking of it after another big anxiety flare up
I was keen to try hypnotherapy and enquired at my surgery. It wasn’t an option unless I went private but the nurse suggested relaxation tapes, (yes tapes - it was a long time ago and I know I don’t look old enoughlol ). I found that they were a great help in managing my anxiety not saying it is for everyone just that it worked for me. Hypnotherapy may be the thing that works for you as @Spotty says it’s worth a try. Best of luck.