2021/22 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm gonna speculate - say for arguments sake we have 25m to spend, then say the situation we can sell DCL for 55m Buy Broja for 27.5 would give us circa 50m throw in loan fees received to round it up another 2.5m

Would give us 55m.

Loan Gallacher with a purchase option (3m loan fee 30m option)
Buy MGW for 30m (20 up front)
Buy Cowill for 20m (15 up front)
Buy Gilmour for 10-12m (7 up front)
Loan Gueye (3m loan fee)

That's spending overall around 65-68m 48m up front another 20m in add-ons and a commitment for another 30m on Gallacher.

We'd have lost DCL and Richy.

Gained Broja, Cowill, Gallacher, Gibbs-White, Gueye and Gilmour.

Throw on top of it a loan move for someone who can cover fullback.

Can pretty much guarantee Broja, Cowill, Gallacher and Gibbs-White the starting spots they all want (well 30+ a season at least)

Added Gueye for experience at the heart of the team, the onus isn't on Gilmour to produce every game as he'll be an option not guaranteed starter so can develop him through the season. Cowill slots into a back 5 or back 4 as the left cb.

Play Gallacher - Gueye in a two add in MGW/Gilmour depending on the formation in a 3,

Pure fantasy stuff mind but what you think mate ?

No one is going to offer close to 55m for Dom until he can prove his fitness this season

They might make an offer, but not that sort of money. If they were going to bid that amount, it would have happened by now

Think they where trying to get another lad in from France but failed mate.

Think something like 45 up front 10 in add-ons is reflective of DCLs value (actually undercooking it) in today's market tbh mate.

When you have Broja touted at 30m unproven in this league, how much did they pay for woods last season?

If they want a proven premier league player who can act as a focal point and is young enough to get his best years out of, then not many better than DCL (caveat is the injury which is the only reason I'd sell - in our situation we can't take the risk it goes again - we need a reliable first 11)

Think they where trying to get another lad in from France but failed mate.

Think something like 45 up front 10 in add-ons is reflective of DCLs value (actually undercooking it) in today's market tbh mate.

When you have Broja touted at 30m unproven in this league, how much did they pay for woods last season?

If they want a proven premier league player who can act as a focal point and is young enough to get his best years out of, then not many better than DCL (caveat is the injury which is the only reason I'd sell - in our situation we can't take the risk it goes again - we need a reliable first 11)

£20m for Wood - that was his release clause.

Maybe I'm naive but I don't see us selling DCL this window, and I don't think it's sensible after selling Richarlison. I'm more concerned with his injury problems. If we have longer term concerns about his availability then we might reluctantly have to look to cash in.

My biggest concern with selling DCL would be trusting this horror show of a club to reinvest the money, and then if they did trusting them to spend it on the right replacement.

£20m for Wood - that was his release clause.

Maybe I'm naive but I don't see us selling DCL this window, and I don't think it's sensible after selling Richarlison. I'm more concerned with his injury problems. If we have longer term concerns about his availability then we might reluctantly have to look to cash in.

My reasons for selling are a few mate.

If it allows the full fee to go back into strengthening the team with whatever we currently have in the pot.
If we can get a 'similar' player in cheaper with a lot of upside (Broja)
Our medical department has me terrified on its psst record with any major injury the player has never returned to whst he was pre injury and often repeatedly misses lots of time afterwards (something is not right there) Coleman, Gomes never looked the same both subsequently are in and out with knocks all the time for years since, Bolasie - finished afterwards, Gbanim finished afterwards, Mina just knock after knock after knock, (probably missed a fair few others there too) DCL coming back going out again coming back now being rested for precautionary reasons sets off big alarm bells for me.

My reasons for selling are a few mate.

If it allows the full fee to go back into strengthening the team with whatever we currently have in the pot.
If we can get a 'similar' player in cheaper with a lot of upside (Broja)
Our medical department has me terrified on its psst record with any major injury the player has never returned to whst he was pre injury and often repeatedly misses lots of time afterwards (something is not right there) Coleman, Gomes never looked the same both subsequently are in and out with knocks all the time for years since, Bolasie - finished afterwards, Gbanim finished afterwards, Mina just knock after knock after knock, (probably missed a fair few others there too) DCL coming back going out again coming back now being rested for precautionary reasons sets off big alarm bells for me.

I wasn't impressed by Broja last season, so wouldn't be happy if we sign him as a replacement. Unless there are clear injury concerns with Dom, then I see selling him as far too big a risk.

If the bid was high enough and the right replacement was there to get in, I'd sell DCL. He's not aggressive enough. We need two strikers in who can really put themselves about.

If the bid was high enough and the right replacement was there to get in, I'd sell DCL. He's not aggressive enough. We need two strikers in who can really put themselves about.
what, and get sent off every two minutes, we don`t get away with `professionalism`. DCL is here to stay, that injury will have changed him and under Lampard i think we`ll see a revitalised Dom

Precaution or not it's worrying that we don't have a quality back-up for him. We can't rely on him to be fit unfortunately.

Would happily sell as I really can see a Carroll/Ferguson run of injuries with him.

But we knew Richi was off for an entire year and couldn’t pin a replacement down, so it’s gonna be a disaster either way.

I definitely fathom your point ,more of an impulse thought than a serious notion but he needs to perform this season and I'm a little dubious on whether he's in the condition to deliver, that injury seemed to significantly affect him. Can we afford anyone if we don't sell further? It just feels very dire currently
He does need to perform this season. We need to get more players who can create better chances, and he needs to stay fit. It was a precaution yesterday, as it was with Gray. They've had a hard slog in the US, a long flight back and then they trained on Saturday - they're all getting put through their paces so the last thing you want to do is then push them too much.

We stripped our side of any consistent creativity last season, that needs to change. Because if it doesn't, whoever we have playing up front isn't going to be able to score the goals required.

Status
Not open for further replies.