Confirmed Signing Dwight McNeil

Status
Not open for further replies.

I know a few Burnley fans (for my sins) and they are not particularly complimentary of him either and these are supporters who have not exactly had the joys of watching many good players down the years.

I have made my assessment of McNeil from watching him over the years and don't think he's upto much at all. But when we were linked with spaffing £40m on him under Benitez, I asked them about him. They said that he is good at dribbling and puts in a nice cross but that is it. They all said that he always tires after about 60 minutes and is very one footed, always cutting back or doing weird little pirrouettes to avoid using his right. They also bemoaned his total lack of pace and said that he does not contribute enough goals or assists - though part of the blame for the latter can be levelled at their strikers.

This would be such a poor signing for us. ?

Wow! polarizing views. He will slot in as a either DM or move wide late in the game to cross if behind. Not a bad pickup if we get Terrier also. Watching the pennies to spend the big pounds for a forward now will do. I don't hate it.

I think it would be a good signing. He's extremely versatile and he creates chances. Something which we sorely lack in the side. He's good at crossing too which is cracking as we are clearly intent on having DCL as our main man up top and he'll thrive on the balls that our full backs, Gordon and Mcneil could provide him. He's also got a very good work rate which we need more of in the squad.

That’s just nonsense. He’s also got good dribbling stats anyway, but I’m sure you’ll try explain that one away too.
He is good at dribbling that's like the only reason he might be useful. It has quite literally never come to anything and the sample size isn't that small.

On the other point: which top attackers are only creating chances with crosses?

I think it would be a good signing. He's extremely versatile and he creates chances. Something which we sorely lack in the side. He's good at crossing too which is cracking as we are clearly intent on having DCL as our main man up top and he'll thrive on the balls that our full backs, Gordon and Mcneil could provide him.
He's not. He's played 90% of the time on the left and the rest is on the right.

Status
Not open for further replies.