Dynamo Kiev v Everton. 19th March at 18.00.

Can they?

• Yes

Votes: 191 64.1%
  • No

Votes: 55 18.5%
  • LOL didn't read

Votes: 52 17.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jags must be hurting tonight for several reasons. He is a proud captain and took a right battering tonight and has strained every sinew in our cause for the past two months. He is 32 now and it is going to be tough to get him ready for the QPR game. He will make it though, Cahill style.

It really scares me that Martinez fails to see the same reality that we do, saying it was down to finishing. Two of their goals, or maybe it was three I lost track, were good, the others were horrible to concede.

I honestly believe that the players don't listen to him any more because they don't rate him. Last season they were fulsome in their praise of him, this season silence, little interaction with him on the touchline or after the game when we win / play well.

Thats no answer. A very similar team has played well in the Europa this season. Howard has played himself in after injury, Alcaraz was excellent against Newcastle, and Stones is still suffering the after effects of a virus.(Take a look at him on the bench). Apart from a few cameos by a semi fit Gibson, McCarthy and Barry have been our best midfield pairing, given the importance of the game and Besics temprement being a bit random.Naismith gets in by virtue of his workrate, and he almost scored again tonight. Atsu was a good selection, he caused Kiev problems and nearly scored a worldie.Jags, Baines and Coleman are natural choices in a big game. Don't anyone think that the manager and players are not gutted to lose tonight, it showed in their demeanour at the end. We have had a good run in Europe and Martinez will know exactly what to address in the summer. There is abasolutely no doubt he will be at Everton next season. And we will have a good season as long as he addresses the obvious problem.... Even if a team is set up to play on the front foot, a back four containing three solid internationals, sometimes four, should be tighter. Solve that one, and with a couple of upgrades on existing positions, we will do well.
Well said Bill Kenwright

alcaraz, barry, naismith, atsu, howard, distin, kone, pienaar, mcgeady. all not good enough, need rid . thats half a squad that just isnt up to it. worrying times.

Sorry chaps, but the manager is not. To blame for individual piss-poor performances. He's made gross errors this season, but the players have been equally as poor. Our keeper has been beaten from outside the box far too often...his starting position is pathetic. Our captain simply has no balls for the big games...and even the small ones. He can tackle but nothing else. The least said about Alcaraz and Barry and Naismith tonight the better .....all three were simply not fit or mobile enough to cope with a high tempo team.
Coleman was left cruelly exposed, and it made him look more culpable than he really was. Barkley had his best game for a long time and Lukaku looked good....even Atsu offered something.

Time to batten down the hatches, scrape over the safety line and regroup for next season to make sure we don't end up like Sunderland or Villa....perennial no-hopers. This season is officially a write-off.

As much as it goes against the general feeling on here I'm 100% sure that Martinez is worth sticking with, but I can't condemn those who think otherwise after this season. Tough, tough call, but for me he needs to have carte Blanche in who gents shipped and who comes in.

It is good to fume and get it out of your systems lads. Let it all out.
It will not change anything mind.

We dared to dream and paid the price. Shame on us.
Signing off for the night.
No gain with nothing good to say right now.
Totally right. Nobody died and our beloved EFC is still in existence. Let the dust settle, let the players take it out on QPR and let Bill & Bob sit down together and look at old Wigan videos and see if they can spot the difference.

Understandably, given Alcarez's gash performance, a lot of stuff has been said in general about Stones with the benefit of hindsight. Alcarez had his best game of the season against Newcastle and Stones is lacking match fitness and has possibly lost muscle strength after his illness. Roberto was always going to play Alcarez tonight, the only question in my mind this afternoon was could he go three at the back and play both alongside Jags? We will never know.

Understandably, given Alcarez's gash performance, a lot of stuff has been said in general about Stones with the benefit of hindsight. Alcarez had his best game of the season against Newcastle and Stones is lacking match fitness and has possibly lost muscle strength after his illness. Roberto was always going to play Alcarez tonight, the only question in my mind this afternoon was could he go three at the back and play both alongside Jags? We will never know.

I could accept that. What I can't accept is Alcaraz finishing the full game. He should have been hauled off at half time.

Sorry chaps, but the manager is not. To blame for individual piss-poor performances. He's made gross errors this season, but the players have been equally as poor. Our keeper has been beaten from outside the box far too often...his starting position is pathetic. Our captain simply has no balls for the big games...and even the small ones. He can tackle but nothing else. The least said about Alcaraz and Barry and Naismith tonight the better .....all three were simply not fit or mobile enough to cope with a high tempo team.
Coleman was left cruelly exposed, and it made him look more culpable than he really was. Barkley had his best game for a long time and Lukaku looked good....even Atsu offered something.

Time to batten down the hatches, scrape over the safety line and regroup for next season to make sure we don't end up like Sunderland or Villa....perennial no-hopers. This season is officially a write-off.

As much as it goes against the general feeling on here I'm 100% sure that Martinez is worth sticking with, but I can't condemn those who think otherwise after this season. Tough, tough call, but for me he needs to have carte Blanche in who gents shipped and who comes in.
The manager should always carry the can because it's his job to manage, not just pick the players.

In denial

He is clueless. Saying it has been a phenomenal experience after being shown up in the competition.

Too many positives. Anyone with any ounce of management experience knows you get nowhere without the occasional crack of the whip.

I've had enough of him now. It was great at first but I have no faith in this manager or his back room staff... and to be fair I feel like an absolute idiot singing about moyes at Old Trafford now.

I disagree. I think he was fairly honest there. European nights are always a great experience, he was saying they're disappointed right now. Felt like we could've gone all the way.

I watched the game (even on my McDonald's call) we defended absolutely shambolically - Alcaraz in particular was just dreadful. BUT as he said, they won't enjoy many nights like that in Europe - the number of shots on target was 8 and 5 goals!! I'm not saying we were unlucky because we gifted them the opportunities to shoot through our defending, but still...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back