Dynamo Kiev v Everton. 19th March at 18.00.

Can they?

• Yes

Votes: 191 64.1%
  • No

Votes: 55 18.5%
  • LOL didn't read

Votes: 52 17.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gutted to be honest, absolutely gutted. Genuinely thought we were going to go all the way this season. I've been so full of praise for the boss up to now, but he got it wrong and patience is getting thinned.

I was happy to let the league be second most important this year - winning the Europa League was more important in my mind. Had my heart set on being European winners again.

The double over Wolfsburg might give me hope for the future but will this team and manager see us compete in Europe again? I don't know.

Alcaraz was bad, but he want the only one, Coleman had another mare, can not pass it to a blue shirt, weve got to think forward now, theres a few players there who should not play for us next year....Lukaku
Sorry chaps, but the manager is not. To blame for individual piss-poor performances. He's made gross errors this season, but the players have been equally as poor. Our keeper has been beaten from outside the box far too often...his starting position is pathetic. Our captain simply has no balls for the big games...and even the small ones. He can tackle but nothing else. The least said about Alcaraz and Barry and Naismith tonight the better .....all three were simply not fit or mobile enough to cope with a high tempo team.
Coleman was left cruelly exposed, and it made him look more culpable than he really was. Barkley had his best game for a long time and Lukaku looked good....even Atsu offered something.

Time to batten down the hatches, scrape over the safety line and regroup for next season to make sure we don't end up like Sunderland or Villa....perennial no-hopers. This season is officially a write-off.

As much as it goes against the general feeling on here I'm 100% sure that Martinez is worth sticking with, but I can't condemn those who think otherwise after this season. Tough, tough call, but for me he needs to have carte Blanche in who gents shipped and who comes in.

The manager takes a huge amount of blame for this. The thing is, if we keep him im pretty sure Barry, Howard, Naismith etc will start our first game next season

I completely agree mate, it's like he is actually talking about another game rather than that shambles. He takes no responsibility for anythng that happened tonight. I don't expect him to publicly name players, but I at least expected an admission that things went wrong tonight .
Unfortunately, I do not think it's in his fabric (or nature) to be able to accept that he and his philosophies may be to some degree to blame.

Martinez utterly believes that his approach to football is the correct way: methodical build up; possession based; frequent passing; no defence.

It's why I believe he's continued to to adopt the rigid, cumbersome and inefficient approach we've adopted this season even though it has failed.

He is confident that it will eventually work... he is confident that his approach is right and is willing to accept failures for the long-term result.

As one fan pointed out, these are traits of a clinical psychopath: shiny veneer; confidence in own abilities; removed from reality.

Now I am not saying Martinez is a psychopath before people start moaning, but his once favourable persona character traits are now worrying.

Does he genuinely accept or believe we're in trouble? Does he hold himself to account for any of this season?

If that's the case then he should take the majority with him....their job is to play, and they patently didn't do that. Players always have an excuse to hide behind.
Any player who plays with an excuse ready to hide behind, shouldn't be playing.

Martinez should've picked a decent team. Not a team selection and tactics that have undeniably lost a lot of games this year for us

Looking forward to Howard, Alcaraz and Jagielka's capers on Sunday......it's not on Sky because Comedy Gold have it on.

He just needs to stop doing post match interviews if he can't help just chatting pure absolute diarrhoea in them. It gets on everyones nerves.

Last season, I hung off every word he said, his positivity was a ray of sunshine after Moyes. But this season, I have increasingly turned off to the point of actively trying to avoid his predictable guff.

There is no leadership in this team. Jags just looks crestfallen all the time, like he's depressed or something. Too many players are old, can't keep up the pace and have slow reaction times, (Alcaraz, Barry, Howard, Osman, Jags). For their 3rd, or was it 4th goal, Barry got bypassed in midfield and just stood there and watched them score. And why can't our centre backs head the ball anymore? We have some good youngsters, so there is hope for us next season, but we really need a clear out and a new team captain. I was excited about Martinez when he started and was able to sign players like Deulofeu and Lukaku, but we did nothing in January and he signed Howard and Barry on long term contracts while players like Garbutt who represent our future are going to walk on a free to another Prem club in the Summer. Sorry - bit of a rant I know. I think I am done with Martinez now. Nice bloke and all that but I can see why Wigan blew hot and cold and eventually got relegated. His team selection is bizarre, playing Atsu in an important game when Atsu has done nothing to justify he should wear an Everton shirt, picking Barry and Alcaraz. Season well and truly over. Thanks Bob!

Any player who plays with an excuse ready to hide behind, shouldn't be playing.

Martinez should've picked a decent team. Not a team selection and tactics that have undeniably lost a lot of games this year for us

Can't argue with that mate....equally culpable players and manager

Anyone explain why Alcaraz started ahead of Stones tonight? Normally if you score two away in Europe thats good enough in those circumstances. Not for us though. Schoolboy football. 'We'll try and score as many as we can and 'hope' they don't score more'. Ridiculous strategy!!
It worked for B-Rod last year though. Sorry, scrap that. It didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back