Dynamo Kiev v Everton. 19th March at 18.00.

Can they?

• Yes

Votes: 191 64.1%
  • No

Votes: 55 18.5%
  • LOL didn't read

Votes: 52 17.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no leadership in this team. Jags just looks crestfallen all the time, like he's depressed or something. Too many players are old, can't keep up the pace and have slow reaction times, (Alcaraz, Barry, Howard, Osman, Jags). For their 3rd, or was it 4th goal, Barry got bypassed in midfield and just stood there and watched them score. And why can't our centre backs head the ball anymore? We have some good youngsters, so there is hope for us next season, but we really need a clear out and a new team captain. I was excited about Martinez when he started and was able to sign players like Deulofeu and Lukaku, but we did nothing in January and he signed Howard and Barry on long term contracts while players like Garbutt who represent our future are going to walk on a free to another Prem club in the Summer. Sorry - bit of a rant I know. I think I am done with Martinez now. Nice bloke and all that but I can see why Wigan blew hot and cold and eventually got relegated. His team selection is bizarre, playing Atsu in an important game when Atsu has done nothing to justify he should wear an Everton shirt, picking Barry and Alcaraz. Season well and truly over. Thanks Bob!
Atsu played because McGeady and Mirallas were injured.....no other wingers available, so Hobson's choice.

Unfortunately, I do not think it's in his fabric (or nature) to be able to accept that he and his philosophies may be to some degree to blame.

Martinez utterly believes that his approach to football is the correct way: methodical build up; possession based; frequent passing; no defence.

It's why I believe he's continued to to adopt the rigid, cumbersome and inefficient approach we've adopted this season even though it has failed.

He is confident that it will eventually work... he is confident that his approach is right and is willing to accept failures for the long-term result.

As one fan pointed out, these are traits of a clinical psychopath: shiny veneer; confidence in own abilities; removed from reality.

Now I am not saying Martinez is a psychopath before people start moaning, but his once favourable persona character traits are now worrying.

Does he genuinely accept or believe we're in trouble? Does he hold himself to account for any of this season?

It all appears to be part of his master plan, if we are to believe what he says - " it has to get worse before it gets better "

Gutted to be honest, absolutely gutted. Genuinely thought we were going to go all the way this season. I've been so full of praise for the boss up to now, but he got it wrong and patience is getting thinned.

I was happy to let the league be second most important this year - winning the Europa League was more important in my mind. Had my heart set on being European winners again.

The double over Wolfsburg might give me hope for the future but will this team and manager see us compete in Europe again? I don't know.
he played alcaraz

the worst defender in the first leg by a mile

he stuck with him

i'd play me nan there over him.

Two of the goals were outrageous, but in all five, the defending should've been miles better, and it's simply down to hard work. Which is really missing throughout the side, especially in defence. That and a complete lack of awareness. No one seems to know who's doing what. This team is too nice to be honest.

So half way through the game he takes him off and plays with none whatsoever, but two defensive midfielders.

Three quarters through to get two more offensive players on when we were chasing the game......but don't let facts blur the fume.

Three quarters through to get two more offensive players on when we were chasing the game......but don't let facts blur the fume.

You just said he had to play Atsu as we had no other wingers. I was pointing out that if a winger was that crucial, why did we end the game with none on the pitch?

Understandably, given Alcarez's gash performance, a lot of stuff has been said in general about Stones with the benefit of hindsight. Alcarez had his best game of the season against Newcastle and Stones is lacking match fitness and has possibly lost muscle strength after his illness. Roberto was always going to play Alcarez tonight, the only question in my mind this afternoon was could he go three at the back and play both alongside Jags? We will never know.

Alcaraz did have is best game ... but then again so did gibson but he was dropped tonight for a poor slug like performance from barry.
besic has had good games and then also dropped for barry.
Barry has stank in many matches but not been dropped at all.
alcaraz has stunk 99.9% of games he has featured in.
alcaraz And Barry , we have better performing players , but roberto has his blinkered view on picking his golden boys ahead of whats actually best or whos deserving.

You just said he had to play Atsu as we had no other wingers. I was pointing out that if a winger was that crucial, why did we end the game with none on the pitch?
Exactly, and I explained when, and why.....he couldn't really take off a defensive midfielder and go with a front 5....he'd have been murdered on here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back