Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

ECHO Comment: "Fears of Witch-hunt Against Liverpool FC" part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since he arrived they had the best defensive record in the league.

You're putting that down to his arrival? How do you explain losing to West Brom, getting sliced open by Palace, giving up numerous chances to DCL and Niasse, Roma getting 6, with VAR Citeh would've had about 8 in their two CL games...fact is he aint that great. At partial fault for all 3 goals in the CL final.

It's mind boggling that Liverpool could have the most expensive goalie and defender and they're both bang average. An alien visiting this planet and given the task of identifying the team with the most expensive goalie and defender would have about 3 dozen guesses before they said Liverpool.

Van Dijk and Allison for £140m.....just breath taking.

Pep Guardiola disagrees, but what does he know.

A centre half for a guardiola team doesn’t have to be that good a defender as his teams generally are so good that the opposition rarely are able to go at them.

We were one of a very few that did, and we scored 9 in 3 games, exploiting both him and walker in the process.

As seen by the table, they don’t concede many, and lose even fewer but that’s more to do with how good they are as a team, than because Otamendi is a brilliant defender, which he isn’t.

Van Dijk would get into any team in the league, and I’d say any team in Europe too, personally.

You're putting that down to his arrival? How do you explain losing to West Brom, getting sliced open by Palace, giving up numerous chances to DCL and Niasse, Roma getting 6, with VAR Citeh would've had about 8 in their two CL games...fact is he aint that great. At partial fault for all 3 goals in the CL final.

It's mind boggling that Liverpool could have the most expensive goalie and defender and they're both bang average. An alien visiting this planet and given the task of identifying the team with the most expensive goalie and defender would have about 3 dozen guesses before they said Liverpool.

Van Dijk and Allison for £140m.....just breath taking.
I'm not saying he came in and they conceded none.
Im saying he significantly improved there defense. It was a signing they had to make, just like replacing karius is something they have to do.
If you can't see then you don't understand football.

But hey, if you think they have unsustainable debt and are going to be the next Leeds, then do carry on.

everytime joyce posts something, you get about 4657 'fans' replying with 'nice cushioned header from joycey'

so weird arent they..

I'm not saying he came in and they conceded none.
Im saying he significantly improved there defense. It was a signing they had to make, just like replacing karius is something they have to do.
If you can't see then you don't understand football.

But hey, if you think they have unsustainable debt and are going to be the next Leeds, then do carry on.

But he didn't improve your defence.

To pop my two pennies worth on Van Dijk I do think he is one of the best centre halves in the league, which is reflexive of the world record fee they paid for him.

Alisson however is a bizarre signing. They are paying close to 70 million, for a lad who's a couple of years older than Pickford and significantly weaker than him from the little I've seen of him. He looks ok but by no means world class. I am not sure I have him in the top 5 goalkeepers in the league (De Gea, Courtois, Pickford are all better than him). You have a debate about Cech, Lloris, Schmeichel and it's a debate he doesn't fair favourably.

None of this is wise after the event either, I have put my position very clearly well before they were even linked with him. I saw a few honest reds saying they felt he was not a significant upgrade on Karius, no doubt they will be silenced by the cult when the party line is issued.

As for "doing a Leeds" as we keep saying I don't think that is the argument anyone is putting forward. What we are saying is the hundreds of millions of pounds Klopp has now spent (net, never mind gross) will need to be accounted for. I suspect some of this will be going onto the debt to push the figure beyond 300 million. Alongside this there will be an expectation to deliver from the fans.

They have assembled one of the most expensive squads in world football, and leading them to 4th again, being 20+ points off the top of the league will not be tolerated in the wider media and from sections of their own fan support.

The last time this happened, a well respected manager went out and spent huge sums on decent (though not world class players) was Benitez. It spiralled a debt crisis that led to them "doing a Leeds" but being bailed out by the Tory Establishment through the courts. They will not get so lucky a second time, the situation is radically different, in May's Tories will not get away with bailing out their favourite pet project if it gets to that situation again.

Good luck to them next season. When you spend the money he has you need to win the league. Failure to do that will potentially set a chain of events in mind that could be calamitous. They are gambling at the big stakes table now, and for their sakes I hope the numbers come in.

65 million for Allisson. It's insane.

Tell me how there going to become Leeds again just one more time

I've given you a brief description above mate. They already "did a Leeds' and relied on the tory establishment to bail them out once before.

Simply put, they spend money they don't have, push the debt beyond 300 million, have an underwhelming season so struggle to meet the obligations. In parallel to this the fans turn, as they did to Houllier for finishing 4th, or Benitez and hound them out.

You make it sound like Liverpool were not on the brink of bankruptcy before, and effectively trading out of a position of administration. Politely, do you have any idea what happened under the latter day of Benitez?

It’s Klopp’s last spin of the dice. If he doesn’t win a trophy this year the mob will be on him and he knows it so he may as well go all out and spend every pound available. It’s probably the last season before VAR as well so any future league camapaign is only going to be harder for them once the cliches ‘you don’t get given that sort of decision at Anfield/old Trafford’ and ‘it’s a brave ref who does that this early in the game in front of the kop’ disappear and it is a more level playing field.

Agree with a lot of that mate, but VAR will not sort out bias in the game. It will entrench it further.

I've given you a brief description above mate. They already "did a Leeds' and relied on the tory establishment to bail them out once before.

Simply put, they spend money they don't have, push the debt beyond 300 million, have an underwhelming season so struggle to meet the obligations. In parallel to this the fans turn, as they did to Houllier for finishing 4th, or Benitez and hound them out.

You make it sound like Liverpool were not on the brink of bankruptcy before, and effectively trading out of a position of administration. Politely, do you have any idea what happened under the latter day of Benitez?
Different ownership. The business model is entirely different under fsg.

A centre half for a guardiola team doesn’t have to be that good a defender as his teams generally are so good that the opposition rarely are able to go at them.

We were one of a very few that did, and we scored 9 in 3 games, exploiting both him and walker in the process.

As seen by the table, they don’t concede many, and lose even fewer but that’s more to do with how good they are as a team, than because Otamendi is a brilliant defender, which he isn’t.

Van Dijk would get into any team in the league, and I’d say any team in Europe too, personally.

It’s this sort of classic over exaggeration that is the reason you don’t win anything. It’s stoked up by quite frankly a childish one eyed almost bigoted Liverpool favouring media but that’s no excuse for your fans to swallow it hook line and sinker every time.

Real Madrid would not swap Varane or Ramos for him. Barcelona would not swap Pique or Umtiti for him. Bayern would not swap Hummels or Boateng for him, PSG would not swap Marquinhos or Silva for him, even United wouldn’t swap Bailly for him, ask Spurs fans if they’d swap Alderweireld or Vertonghen for him. The answer is no. If he could get into any side in Europe then he wouldn’t be at one whose best achievement is coming 4th consecutively in a 6 team mini league. If Madrid or Barca thought he was better than what they had they’d be taking him off you just like they took every good player you’ve actually had rather than the imaginary world class ones you have.

In reality he is a player who had a couple of decent campaigns at Southampton, then got injured, you massively over paid for him and he’s had an ok half season with you where some moments of quality and leadership has been mixed in with poor mistakes when he’s been exposed by better opposition. This is not the profile of a world class player FFS.

When will your fans learn that lesson? If Van Dijk is class, Salah is class, Firmino is class, Mane is class, Klopp is World class then your last three league leavings wouldn’t read 8th 4th 4th with zero trophies. Name me one other team that has a world class manager and apparently 4 or 5 world class players yet comes 4th and wins nothing? None, there’s none, which leads to the conclusion every single other fan in the league has come to which is you have one exceptional player in Salah (who will need to stay at that level this season to prove this) and the rest of your players may be very good but would not get into any side in Europe. VVD is part of a Netherlands side not even at the WC, Firmino was a bench player behind a player who is on the bench for City. That is their standard. When these players get to the level your delusion thinks they are actually at you will know about it because they won’t be playing for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back