• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

ECHO Comment: "Fears of Witch-hunt Against Liverpool FC"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you know that whenever he drives past the Hillsboro memorial he winds down the window, makes the sign of the cross and drives on?

The mans a ****ing fraud.

And half of our players make the sign of the cross when they run on to the pitch too, should we just abandon football?
You can't criticise him for anything to do with what he does towards Hillsborough, just stick to slating him for being a snidey little ****.

And half of our players make the sign of the cross when they run on to the pitch too, should we just abandon football?
You can't criticise him for anything to do with what he does towards Hillsborough, just stick to slating him for being a snidey little ****.

Do you not think its a cringeworthy thing to write in his book. Drives past slowly, winds the window down and makes the sign of the cross and then drives on. Does he hell do that which makes him writing it in his book cringeworthy and self serving.

I don't doubt for one second he feels a connection to Hillsboro but writing crap like that and announcing he donated less than a weeks wages to the fund on derby day is just an effort to improve his own image. It's all pr and I don't think he should be using Hillsboro for his own pr.

Apparently Rodgers is cheesed off at the board for not landing Salah. Hopefully that escalates into all out war between the manager and the board.

Hope not. You know how it works with that lot. If that happens, they'll drive out the current gang of yanks, and doubtless someone with even MORE money and less sense will take over.

Do you not think its a cringeworthy thing to write in his book. Drives past slowly, winds the window down and makes the sign of the cross and then drives on. Does he hell do that which makes him writing it in his book cringeworthy and self serving.

I don't doubt for one second he feels a connection to Hillsboro but writing crap like that and announcing he donated less than a weeks wages to the fund on derby day is just an effort to improve his own image. It's all pr and I don't think he should be using Hillsboro for his own pr.

100% correct, it wont of even been his idea..

Oh no I dislike it a lot, I despise religion in most senses so I'm not fond of stuff like that, but he has still done stuff that hurts noone and does help a bit with the campaign. I think trying to insult him due to this isn't a good image. Especially when there's plenty of real horrible stuff he's done.

While the fact the money might not make a big dent in Gerrard's personal wealth, it still makes a huge difference to the people receiving it. I'll never criticise a footballer for donating to charity.

The cynic in me questions why the donation has to be made public, but the gesture itself is beyond any sort of criticism from any of us.

Jesus the lad gave money to a charity very important to a lot of familys on Merseyside, It is made public to give the charity much needed press

Grow up

Money to a worthwhile charity, fair enough but sorry the cynic in me thinks this was done for his image to make him look less of a **** as its been made public, if it was a private donation then fair play to the bloke.

The incredibly cringeworthy extract from his book..

Everytime I drive into Anfield, I slow to a crawl as I pass through the Shankly Gates. My eyes are drawn towards the Hillsborough Memorial. I see the tributes to the ninety-six Liverpool Fans who never returned from that FA cup semi-final in 1989. I see the scarves left by visiting fans, signs of respect that lie alongside wreaths placed by families whose tears will never dry. I see the flame that burns always, reminding the world that the ninety-six will never, ever be forgotten.

As my car inches past the Memorial, I look down the names of those who fell on the Leppings Lane End, never to rise again. My eyes stop at one name. Jon-Paul Gilhooley, ten years old, the youngest of those who died following the team he loved. A boy whose life was snatched away just as it was starting. Crushed to death in a stand unfit for human beings. I knew Jon-Paul. He was my cousin. A shiver runs down my spine. I make the sign of the Cross and drive on.

Whenever I saw Jon-Paul's parents during my Youth Trainee Scheme days at Anfield, it gave me an extra determination to succeed. Just before i made my Liverpool debut, they said " Jon-Paul would be so proud of of you." During the match, i felt Jon-Paul was looking down on me, pleased i was fulfilling a dream we both shared.

The families are very good at supporting each other. At Liverpool, You'll Never Walk Alone. Our famous song is more than a string of words and a great tune, its is a pact between people. We stand together in good times and bad. The people who run the Hillsborough Families' Group deserve so much praise. They want justice and they just won't give up, which is completely right. There are families across Liverpool with an empty seat at their table, and untouched bedroom upstairs. These families deserve justice. I fully support the campaign because i want it myself. We should know exactly what happened at Hillsborough, and who was to blame. Action should be taken against those in authority who let ninety-six innocent people die. My cousin died at Hillsborough, and he has not had justice. When i warm up at Anfield, I see the 'Justice for the 96' banner and i nod passionately in agreement. The government should hold a proper enquiry. Only then can the families of the ninety-six sit at home and mourn, knowing justice has been done. Only then can they tend their loved ones' graves knowing someone has been brought to account for this terrible tragedy. A tragedy that could have been avoided.

Hillsborough must never be allowed to happen again. No one should lose a life or a relative at a football match. Everytime i see Jon-Paul's name cut into the cold marble outside the Shankly Gates, i fill with saddness and anger. I have never let anyone know this before, but it's true: I play for Jon-Paul.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back