Homepage Article Ellis Simms Joins Blackpool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Difference between Dom and Simms though is the rest of their game. Simms just doesn’t have much about him except the finishing for me.
That’s a fair summary. Simms runs straight lines towards the goal, he’s good at it and if the right ball is put through he’ll shoot , often scores, but he has little side to side movement. DCL moves sideways to pick up balls from the back , move defenders around , the correction made to his game was to get him in front of the goal more and not out wide so much. It’ll be interesting seeing how Simms adapts to corrections made to his game now he’s in men’s football.

That’s a fair summary. Simms runs straight lines towards the goal, he’s good at it and if the right ball is put through he’ll shoot , often scores, but he has little side to side movement. DCL moves sideways to pick up balls from the back , move defenders around , the correction made to his game was to get him in front of the goal more and not out wide so much. It’ll be interesting seeing how Simms adapts to corrections made to his game now he’s in men’s football.

Simms reminds me far more of a Lukaku. Like an under 23's Lukaku (with all the positives and negatives Lukaku had). The difference is though, when he was 20, Lukaku would be miles better than under 23's football.

He is a big lad Simms, but really plays like Michael Owen- which was true of Lukaku too. His movement is really good into the channels and it was pleasing seeing him make those runs in mens football and get a chance. He is a good finisher too. Thats something Dom has had to work at, and while Dom is good it's not the most natural part. Also the movement in behind and using his body is not as natural as Simms has.

It's great to see Simms get a couple of goals in 15 minutes on the pitch. With each goal he scores his confidence wil grow. I don't think he does enough without the ball, but we will see.

The two goals he got, are fantastic goals for a striker. You love seeing a striker being in the right place to score scrappy goals.

I'll be frank here mate, I'm not sure Simms makes it here. I think if he had a serious chance, we don't pursue Zirkzee. However I doubt Coleman or particularly Osman had mjuch of a chance when they went on loan and they changed the managers mind.

If he can go and get 10+ goals at Blackpool it will do him the world of good, and ones like tonight, scrappy from 2 yards work fine for me. Get yourself into the right positions ahead of the defender and you will score.

The positive thing for me, is we have better players than Simms at his age coming through. Dobbin if he can get get fit for one.
Difference between Dom and Simms though is the rest of their game. Simms just doesn’t have much about him except the finishing for me.
In fairness, the point of my post was not that I think Ellis Simms will make it at Everton. It was more that we shouldn't be writing him off at such a young age. If you know me as a poster you know I'm consistent with this message for all of our youngsters who show signs that they could make the grade. I mentioned Dom because obviously he was somebody written off by the majority on here. I thought it quite telling that the fault used by the poster to justify his opinion, missing a one on one, is actually a skill that Simms normally excels at, something he'd have known if he ever took the bother to watch him for the U23s and U18s.

I agree with all you say about Ellis. The positive to me is that what he excels at comes naturally to him and that is a massive plus. He will be prolific in teams that create plenty of chances (as we saw with our U18s), but we expect much more from our strikers at first team level. By contrast, at the same age, Dom's main attributes were his athleticism, pace, work rate and, above all, a fantastic attitude. So I think it's fair to say that both Ellis and Dom, at 19/20, had a lot of developing to do before establishing themselves in the first team squad. I think it's also fair to say that, all things being equal, they had the same chance to progress.

However, I believe where Dom had the advantage over Simms is that our first team squad has moved on a lot over the 4 years, and ironically it's probably the fantastic form of DCL that is starving Simms of first team opportunities.

The lad just needs to get his head down and do really well at Blackpool. These goals were an excellent start and he also had half an hour against premier opposition at the weekend under his belt. Continue in this vein and there's every chance he'll be part of the first team plans for next season, especially if we have European football. It's then down to him.

Very pleased for Ellis Simms; came away from his debut game with two goals but could have had three. Hopefully the lad will go from strength to strength.

Dobbin if he can get get fit for one.
Yeah. I do hope this injury doesn't set him back too much. Any further information from the club following the lads tweet. Sounded like cruciate issues if he's out for the season.

Great to see the recent posts in the youth thread about the large numbers coming through the academy with high hopes. We've been a bit starved over the last 3/4 seasons with only really Gordon, Simms and Dobbin showing real promise. This Heath lad seems a bit special. I'd love an "Inchy" mark 2 to come through.

Yeah. I do hope this injury doesn't set him back too much. Any further information from the club following the lads tweet. Sounded like cruciate issues if he's out for the season.

Great to see the recent posts in the youth thread about the large numbers coming through the academy with high hopes. We've been a bit starved over the last 3/4 seasons with only really Gordon, Simms and Dobbin showing real promise. This Heath lad seems a bit special. I'd love an "Inchy" mark 2 to come through.

He's meant to be very good mate, but the one concern is size, as is the striker Liverpool wanted.

In fairness, the point of my post was not that I think Ellis Simms will make it at Everton. It was more that we shouldn't be writing him off at such a young age. If you know me as a poster you know I'm consistent with this message for all of our youngsters who show signs that they could make the grade. I mentioned Dom because obviously he was somebody written off by the majority on here. I thought it quite telling that the fault used by the poster to justify his opinion, missing a one on one, is actually a skill that Simms normally excels at, something he'd have known if he ever took the bother to watch him for the U23s and U18s.

I agree with all you say about Ellis. The positive to me is that what he excels at comes naturally to him and that is a massive plus. He will be prolific in teams that create plenty of chances (as we saw with our U18s), but we expect much more from our strikers at first team level. By contrast, at the same age, Dom's main attributes were his athleticism, pace, work rate and, above all, a fantastic attitude. So I think it's fair to say that both Ellis and Dom, at 19/20, had a lot of developing to do before establishing themselves in the first team squad. I think it's also fair to say that, all things being equal, they had the same chance to progress.

However, I believe where Dom had the advantage over Simms is that our first team squad has moved on a lot over the 4 years, and ironically it's probably the fantastic form of DCL that is starving Simms of first team opportunities.

The lad just needs to get his head down and do really well at Blackpool. These goals were an excellent start and he also had half an hour against premier opposition at the weekend under his belt. Continue in this vein and there's every chance he'll be part of the first team plans for next season, especially if we have European football. It's then down to him.

The big things Simms probably has is continuity now, from the DOF and increasingly the manager. Constant turn around of managers doesn't help anyone and players just get lost.

You can imagine conversations, with Simms being 4th choice currently and hope he can become 3rd choice in time. If he can go and get a load of goals for Blackpool it will peak an interest. Just as if any 20 year old scored 20+ across a season.

The two goals he got, are fantastic goals for a striker. You love seeing a striker being in the right place to score scrappy goals.

I'll be frank here mate, I'm not sure Simms makes it here. I think if he had a serious chance, we don't pursue Zirkzee. However I doubt Coleman or particularly Osman had mjuch of a chance when they went on loan and they changed the managers mind.

If he can go and get 10+ goals at Blackpool it will do him the world of good, and ones like tonight, scrappy from 2 yards work fine for me. Get yourself into the right positions ahead of the defender and you will score.

The positive thing for me, is we have better players than Simms at his age coming through. Dobbin if he can get fit for one.

Neigh, surely not.

Is there any Blackpool fans on here to say what they think of him, and what they expect, do they think he will be starting games etc, even though he has been there basically days

Really well put.
DCL got his chance because we didn’t replace Lukaku. It’s harder for Simms to get a chance because we have DCL and Richarlison ahead of him. It seems likely we will get another striker as well.
However, Simms is still developing physically and will become stronger and athletic over the next year or two. He has a strikers instinct, but will need to develop other aspects of his game.
Interestingly, Ancelotti improved DCL by making him focus on being in the box and less elsewhere, something Sills already does. (Ian Rush never did anything outside the box, but by god he was a goal scorer).

That’s what experience brings.

Status
Not open for further replies.