Everton January 2022 Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
…I think that’s reasonable but I recall Walsh suggesting whoever identifies a target negotiates the deal.

I do agree both Brands and Benitez has the power of veto but I imagine Benitez is much more likely to exercise that power. There is also the added factor of Moshiri bringing in players.

i don’t believe the DoF model at Everton is as empowered as other DoFs when it comes to transfers. We can only assume what the process is and I think your assessment of finance control and links with the Board could be about right. He certainly wealds power at the club but the transfer waters are muddied.

I would assume that the club were massively unprepared for the summer window that has just gone, not least with Ancellotti leaving overnight but I think the severity of our problems with P&S rules didn't dawn on us until quite late.

We didn't even have 2m to spend in the summer. I highly doubt that Brands had some massive playbook on players that featured at the very bottom of the bargain basement barrel. In fairness to Brands, I would have relied on Benitez's contacts as well in that scenario and in fairness to both of them I think they made such a paltry amount of money travel a fairly long way.

My main issue with Brands is how we have gotten so perilously close to breaking P&S rules in the first place. Say what you will about who is selecting the targets and vetoing suggestions and whatever else, but keeping an eye on the accounts is entirely his responsibility and signing Rodriguez for example just 12 months before we had to completely cut costs down shows he is monstrously incompetent.

I would assume that the club were massively unprepared for the summer window that has just gone, not least with Ancellotti leaving overnight but I think the severity of our problems with P&S rules didn't dawn on us until quite late.

We didn't even have 2m to spend in the summer. I highly doubt that Brands had some massive playbook on players that featured at the very bottom of the bargain basement barrel. In fairness to Brands, I would have relied on Benitez's contacts as well in that scenario and in fairness to both of them I think they made such a paltry amount of money travel a fairly long way.

My main issue with Brands is how we have gotten so perilously close to breaking P&S rules in the first place. Say what you will about who is selecting the targets and vetoing suggestions and whatever else, but keeping an eye on the accounts is entirely his responsibility and signing Rodriguez for example just 12 months before we had to completely cut costs down shows he is monstrously incompetent.

…I think your final paragraph is also a reasonable assessment/assumption.

I think anything the club has done over the last 5 years shows how incompetent we are. I don’t think the blame is squarely on brands shoulders, the whole lot of them are the problem.

imagine spending £500 mill to make yourselves much worse… only Everton would do that!

And then appoint a red, to cap it off!

Typical

How the club spread the liabilities in a contract must be related to the payment terms? If you have to pay the full value up front, then that must go straight on the PL account surely because it is capital straight out of the business.

I know you can spread depreciation over a few years, but expenditure hits when it hits.

Not under the FFP rules.

Under those rules, sales are immediately shown for the purposes of FFP -- even if physical payments to the selling club are spread over a players contract.

Conversely under FFP, if players are signed then the fee is spread over the length of the players contract.

So, it favours clubs who play the market and sell/buy rotating the team.

Where we fall down is the lack of sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.