Transfer Rumour Everton poised to make £25m bid for Celtic full-back Kieran Tierney

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Hahahahaha... he say he enjoying Scotland in this world cup because Scotland aren't at the world cup. It's funny. Hahahahaha!"- Fouad from Family Guy pointing out sarcasm.

Well no, you said the influx of money was harming the National team, where as the Scottish league is skint and the National team is a joke, just like the League.

So jokes on you mert.

Less of the accusations of racism please, not appreciated.
I think it's a pretty bold move from Brands and Silva. We have seen from differing Celtic posters on here, as well other informed opinion elsewhere that Tierney is one of the best talents to come out of Scotland and Celtic in recent years. I wonder how concrete the Manchester United interest is, as a club they have moved on from looking to buy young players to develop to one of signing big name "galaticos". It's difficult to see Tierney fitting within that. Indeed it's difficult to see Mourinho wanting a 21 year old defender. It's not really been the way he operates where he looks for experienced defenders and I can't see Tierney fitting that.

The question then becomes why would he leave, why would he leave now and what sort of club would he consider/would be interested in him?

No doubt he would want a top club. One of the top 6. It's not easy to see them being massively interested at present. Maybe he's better than any other product out of Scotland, but there is still an element of risk there. I have little doubt he will go on to be a left back very capable of playing for them, but they may want to see him prove it and he may need a little time to adjust. Ultimately being in the top 6 as they are now, gives a level of funding, exposure and European credentials which mean, to be frank you don't need to take chances on players from leagues outside of the elite European leagues.

The exception may be Spurs, who with the potential loss of Danny Rose may sign someone with the profile of Tierney to back up Davies, however with their cost reduction due to a very expensive stadium and a more measly approach to transfers I just can't see them forking out upwards of 30 million to do so.

There are other teams them. Everton are certainly one of, if not the biggest of the rest. We have also been the most consistent, over the last 2 years, 5 years or 15 years of the rest of the league. With the financial backing available we now have the biggest ability to offer wages and in terms of places to live, Liverpool is probably most akin to Glasgow. Alongside all of this, we have employed a manager who likes developing young players and a DOF who makes youth development central to his approach. It would be a very big statement if he completed this signing.

I don't know if he would come, but if we could implement the sort of approach that we saw under Moyes of buying and developing younger players it would be an excellent fit.

For us it would be a big fee. Say what you want about the league but Celtic have produced a number of fine exports, as has the Scottish league. Yes some have flopped, but Robertson, McCarthy, McCarthur etc have all been solid pro's, while VVD and Wanyama are very strong in their position. He is in good company and may well go on to be a very good player. Likewise, he fits similar to what we did with Baines 10 years ago. The 6 million we paid then is around about 25 million pounds now. Nobody would say Baines hasn't provided excellent value.

If he were to come, I'd say he may move on for a tidy profit in 2-3 years time. Maybe that's how Brands will start to position Everton, as a next stop on the journey (similar to how PSV operate). Yes Celtic would want 50 million for him. I'm sure they'd want the 16 for Wanyama or the 75 for VVD however they will really struggle to get that from people buying directly from the SPL. The level of test is not sufficient to show someone's ability to perform to that level. They do well to buy players in, or bring them through, Rodgers has done very well, and they move them on for a very decent price.

As a final aside, Celtic and Rangers are massive clubs. Bigger than any other than Liverpool or Manchester United in this country (arguably bigger) and if they joined the PL, while they may struggle initially I'd anticipate they'd be challenging for and winning leagues within 10 years. Unfortunately they play in a league that is not as commercially viable as the Premier League. A massive TV deal doesn't alter the fanbase and history of Celtic and Rangers though. I'm far fonder of Celtic, but both are bigger than Everton irrespective of the league they play in.

Bloody hell! An intelligent and eloquent post!

Makes a change from the heafty stream of racism, ignorance and utterly lame attempts at wind-ups.

Kudos to you, Sir.

Well no, you said the influx of money was harming the National team, where as the Scottish league is skint and the National team is a joke, just like the League.

So jokes on you mert.

Yes, the Iceland result wasn't at all a sign that your league is over populated by foreign players.

Why aren't Scotland there? How long have you got? No infrastructure, lack of adequate facilities, the SFA don't care about the national team, the general mentality of clubs, the general mentality of our managers and coaches and how they're being coached, the standard of coaching at a youth level, the mentality of our fans don't help. I could go on all day.

If there was a 3 foreigner rule in English football then you'd a lot better. Soon the England manager will begin choosing players who play in the Championship.

Mate, we, England, have been crap for ever.

That's the thing, in '90 and '96 if you beat Germany on penalties you would've probably have won another world cup and Euro championships. It's no coincidence that once the money from Sky came into your league your National team went downhill. All these people celebrating their teams having so much money, etc, it seems so counter-productive to me, because surely they know that it's bad for England?

Trust me, Scotland are looking up at crap.

He only scores past part time fisherman and recovering smackrats.

7 goals in 50 appearences for Fulham in the championship. The Scottish tramps premier league of squabbling over a quid is his level.

That's simply not true. The season before we signed him he scored 19 goals for Fulham when he was 19. He's scored 8 in 12 for France's U21 side.

The current Celtic side would put a few EPL teams to the sword. Time and time again English teams take us lightly and we give them a shock. In the past few years we knocked Blackburn and Liverpool out of the Uefa Cup, beat Man Utd and just recently drew with Man City home and away in the Champions League.

That's the thing, in '90 and '96 if you beat Germany on penalties you would've probably have won another world cup and Euro championships. It's no coincidence that once the money from Sky came into your league your National team went downhill. All these people celebrating their teams having so much money, etc, it seems so counter-productive to me, because surely they know that it's bad for England?

Trust me, Scotland are looking up at crap.
I only care about Ebperton.

Oh, and it’s on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back