EVERTON RELEASE 5 FROM THE ACADEMY

Status
Not open for further replies.

alan ball

Player Valuation: £70m
Every year at the end of the football season comes a time where the clubs announce their retain list and unfortunately for some they release some.

For Everton last month the club released 5 players and some have been involved with the academy from the age of 6.
The players released this time were as follows;

Ryan Higgins who i thought was a versatile player that could play either at right back or in midfield. Since being released Ryan has had trials at Stoke City, Tranmere Rovers and Birmingham City but to date i think he is still searching for a club.

James Fitzgibbon the goalkeeper had a very good season and seemed to be the first choice until the home game with Blackburn in January then played second fiddle to Connor Roberts for the remainder of the season. To my knowledge James is turning is back on football for personal reasons.

Jordan Barrow was another to go, unfortunately he got injured against Stoke City in January and came back before the season finished with very little playing time left. Jordan was a good talker on the pitch and for me always gave a good performance. He has had a trial with Hibernian but i believe was not successful.

Adam Thomas had two good years with the 18's and was a player that could play on the left and right of midfield as well as a forward, His pace was always a problem for his marker and before Christmas Everton's goal tally was 23 with Adam assiting in 16 of them. Since being released Adam had a successful trial at Stoke City and was rewarded with a 1 year pro deal.

Last but not least, Ben Heneghan. He was the biggest surprise of them all for me and was my most improved player of the season. Ben was a very competent centre back who was very strong in the air and even wore the captains armband a few times.
Since his release Ben had trials at Stoke City and Burnley but like Adam Thomas was offered a 1 year pro deal with the Potteries club.

Thank you boys for your efforts and i can only hope that you can progress in your career and wish you all future happiness

Jagielka, Baines and Joey Barton were releasd from Everton when they were younger then went on to make the grade then it always come back and bites you on the arse

Thanks AB, I am always sad for these lads we release.. Still I hope they will all have a good career.. Once a blue, always a blue! (y)

Jagielka, Baines and Joey Barton were releasd from Everton when they were younger then went on to make the grade then it always come back and bites you on the arse

Sometimes the way it has to be. There was no guarantee any of those three would have got the game time with us if they had stayed and developed into the players they are (although maybe it would have helped Barton).

Always sad when young lads are released because you're dealing with a kids dream not just his job.

Hopefully they'll make a go of it somewhere else.

Every year players are released and a new crop of youngsters brought in,it happens at every club and there is always the risk that some youngster will come back with a different club and prove you wrong.
However,you cannot keep every player on your books or the academy would be full of youngsters.
In general the academy has a good record and very few have gone onto have great careers after being released by the club.

James Fitzgibbon the goalkeeper had a very good season and seemed to be the first choice until the home game with Blackburn in January then played second fiddle to Connor Roberts for the remainder of the season. To my knowledge James is turning is back on football for personal reasons.

This is the saddest one for me. Hope the kid figures it out.

I don't understand releasing players at this age.. surely you cant really get a feel if they are going to proceed at their age.. I mean we kept Anichebe ffs..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back