Everton Summer 2024 Transfer Thread

Personally I think City would be happy with no fee and just getting his wages off the books.

His time at West Ham massively impacts his value or perceived value in the market. As such, if I were Man City and had him on a contract for another 2/3 years or whatever it is - I would want him to go somewhere this season he can get regular games (us more than Villa) and hope with game time he improves to the point someone will pay £10-15m for him next summer (i.e. Leeds if they do come back up).

No. City just don't do this.

They maintain a tough approach as much of their sustainability is built on loaning / then selling players.
They'll take a hit on Philips by keeping him rather than screw the system.

It’s a huge pity Palace went and got Wharton in Jan, think we had a real interest in him.

Thats the one that is so frustrating. But at the same time we could have gone for him this summer with the Onana money.

Thats the Xfactor midfield signing I was hoping for. Not seeing anyone similar in profile linked now.

Phillips last played for England in Nov 2023.
Alli probably mid 2019.

Was he good for England in those games October/November time?

If Thelwell manages to get both Holgate and Keane out the door while bringing in O'Brien and a decent CM he's had a brilliant window.

Really?

Lindstrom, O'Brien, Ndiaye, Iroegbunam in so far.

I like Thelwell but are any of those signings truly 'exciting', provide an XFactor to class this as a "brilliant window" at this stage?

Yes, typically they match the profile of players and ages that I'd prefer but I think its very early to tell.

For me, hes got to move out Keane, Holgate, Maupay, Beto, DCL and bring in someone as a statement signing. That doesnt necessarily mean big money -- but a player we can see is a level above at CF at the very least.

Unnamed Premier League clubs (and Saudi) talking to Club Brugge about Raphael Onyedika.

He's played in Denmark, of course, which is interesting as so has Minteh and Lindstrom. He could be one of Thelwell's targets to replace Onana.

We should be looking at some Scandinavian teams who bring in African players and target them for our u21s or for loans before they get their next move

We’ve actually been a mess thanks to the big deals we struck. Siggurdson Tosun Bolasie Schendierlin Allan Doucoure Keane Godfrey Klaasen - they’re the big ticket items as to why we’re in a mess amongst many others. None of them except Schendierlin could be described as surplus to requirements or on the way down.

The loans of Lukaku and Barry (one surplus to requirements, one surplus and on the way down) actually worked out very well for us.

Walcott is one that springs to mind as an overpayment for a player on his way down and that was borne from panic buying to stay up in 17/18 under Allardyce.
Good points. My thoughts were Delph, Alli, Van Der Beek etc. Phillips IMO would be exactly the same..

No. City just don't do this.

They maintain a tough approach as much of their sustainability is built on loaning / then selling players.
They'll take a hit on Philips by keeping him rather than screw the system.
Maybe and if they do then we don't take him. Thelwell seems to be playing things quite well and moving on if deals don't match our terms so hopefully this is another one if City want a loan fee or us to pay all the wages.

We should be looking at some Scandinavian teams who bring in African players and target them for our u21s or for loans before they get their next move
Yeah we really need to start shopping further down the food chain in the longer term. Been priced out of moves for Minteh and for the moment Gnonto who both were brought to England initially for peanuts.

We need to become the team that initially develops these players and gets the big fee for them, rather than being the team that pays the big bucks further down the line. Even better than getting these players from Scandinavian teams would be getting them direct from places like the right to dream academy, though not sure if there are any rules that would prevent us from doing so.

Thats the one that is so frustrating. But at the same time we could have gone for him this summer with the Onana money.

Thats the Xfactor midfield signing I was hoping for. Not seeing anyone similar in profile linked now.

Was he good for England in those games October/November time?

Really?

Lindstrom, O'Brien, Ndiaye, Iroegbunam in so far.

I like Thelwell but are any of those signings truly 'exciting', provide an XFactor to class this as a "brilliant window" at this stage?

Yes, typically they match the profile of players and ages that I'd prefer but I think its very early to tell.

For me, hes got to move out Keane, Holgate, Maupay, Beto, DCL and bring in someone as a statement signing. That doesnt necessarily mean big money -- but a player we can see is a level above at CF at the very least.

I have no idea Zat.

If this club wanna invest in a cm. Then the club should go for someone like Richardson (23?).

No, it's common sense

DCL isn't signing a new deal and let's be honest, has done nothing for us in a while

Beto, so far looks so far off it

Chermitti isn't quite ready yet

Again, I'm confident we will bring in a striker
You forgot Maupay and generally Dyche plays 1 upfront. So we currently have 4 in the squad but we’re going to get a 5th?

I understand why some think a chance is worth it.

I just feel there's way too much in the cost/risk - benefit analysis.

Last loan spot we could use far far better - even something like the young Chelsea cm or someone like even a Wilson (hell even on a random punt on some City youth player as other have done to great success) taking about the deal I believe city will want to loan out Philips - you could probably get spurs to loan Richarlison for that type of money.
Our last domestic loan will be for Broja, with Maupay being replaced and loaned out.

Kev's going to sneak him in somehow, future planning.

Last edited:
Yeah we really need to start shopping further down the food chain in the longer term. Been priced out of moves for Minteh and for the moment Gnonto who both were brought to England initially for peanuts.

We need to become the team that initially develops these players and gets the big fee for them, rather than being the team that pays the big bucks further down the line. Even better than getting these players from Scandinavian teams would be getting them direct from places like the right to dream academy, though not sure if there are any rules that would prevent us from doing so.

I think they've taken a low risk approach almost all of the time. That means with the signings were making the hope is they can be sold at a small loss if they fail and a bit of profit if they perform.

The higher risk players typically cost more, come from smaller teams/leagues or may simply just be longshots.

Im not seeing any significant risk taking which is good if we want to first cement midtable and build squad numbers -- but it wont take us up a notch.

Putting work in on these low cost Africans in Scandinavia can be low cost and high reward...suppose the same can be said across those countries for the local players too.

I have no idea Zat.

If this club wanna invest in a cm. Then the club should go for someone like Richardson (23?).

I know nothing about him aside from highlights and wasnt particularly wowed.

But, the kid is 6'6 and in a position we need.

I do like the idea of:

22 Branthwaite 6'5
23 O'Brien 6'6
23 Richardson 6'6
20 Chermiti 6'4

Young giants through the spine.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back