Everton Summer 2024 Transfer Thread

Moyes is many times the manager Dyche is, Moyes has shown he can evolve a team.

When comparing the two I just think the following.

Coleman would never have played for Dyche and neither would Baines, both of them their main strength was going forwards and both of their defensive games when first coming through especially so where their weakness.

Arteta would never ever have been a centre mid for Dyche. Piennar would never have played on the wing for Dyche either, without Baines overlapping especially so.

Arguably the 4 players Moyes really developed into quality players and Dyche would never have used any of them.

Hibbert would have played every game for him though.

We have not bought genuine explosive pace for years and KT and Dyche are currently the ones picking yes we have financial issues but as i said above, fast players don"t have to cost 20m plus we seem to have a snobbery we only want a certain level of name. Rowe at Norwich could be bought , Kabore could come in on a loan, there are numerous wingers who are rapid in Europe we could pick up reasonably, we even got Gray for 1.5m one of our better bits of business. But I would wager Dyche vetos many on PL experience grounds. He is treating Ndiaye and Lindstrom who have played in top leagues in France, Germany and Italy like youngsters even because he has not seen them on a wet night in Newcastle.

I honestly wonder whether Thelwell, doing the business he’s done, is trying to gently guide Dyche to this (either) conclusion.
This is the problem now. We've actually brought in players that would allow us to be more progressive, but have a 'backs to the wall' style manager who is zero risk averse. I worry that this approach won't get us over the line this year.

Our full backs are so poor that I actually wouldn't be opposed to the 3421. McNeil and Harrison have the work rate to get up and down but the worry is it becomes a 541 very quickly.

2 players close to Dom non of which are Doucoure and O'Brien given minutes next to Tarkowski and Branthwaite would be nice though.

I honestly wonder whether Thelwell, doing the business he’s done, is trying to gently guide Dyche to this (either) conclusion.

We know that Thelwell years ago was a proponent of the 3-5-2 system used by the likes of Roma and famously Conte at Inter. Think that's kinda overtime morphed into 3-4-2-1 being a very much progressive system now, so who knows if that's how he's developed also.

But they don’t offer depth , they are liabilies … all they’re doing is sucking 90k a week from the wage bill between them.

That could have been used to pay the salary of a decent rb
I will argue til I’m blue in the face that I would sooner have a kid from the u21s or u18s adding depth to our first team, or even starting a game for us, like Dixon at rb due to injuries, than have the lies of absolutely finished footballers like Keane, holgate and young being selected and used when they are proven liabilities.

I’ve said it under every single manager we’ve had, and I don’t trust them to decide who is ready for first team football when they have the front to select these busted flush wage thieves.

I would genuinely sooner see them sit in the reserves and take their ridiculous wages than ever play in the royal blue again

There is absolutely no reason for O’Brien, Ndiaye or lindstrom not starting the game yesterday, aside from the arrogance of the manager.

Football managers aren’t stupid. They’ll take one look at a squad with no real pace in any position. Can’t play a high line, can’t play quick on the counter, best players are injury prone and come they’re out the drop off in quality is huge. No funds to replace them anyway, and even then there’ll be a new owner in soon who might fire me regardless.

No ip and coming progressive manager in touching that with a barge pole. Perhaps when the ownership is resolved and financial constraints have smoothed out.

There’s only so many tactical models you can play with the players we have.
Nope. Things can be done. Allowing fullbacks to overlap, even if they are crap going forward, would open space for our slow wingers. If he insists on playing the diagonal all the time, it would also mean that it might occasionally work. Using Beto and having the midfielders thread the ball in front of him for him to run onto (which is his main strength) rather than aimlessly launching the ball to DCL's head or our slow wingers with no overlapping FBs would be a start.

No-one is expecting this side to play possession football, but the lack of attacking ideas and play, the timid, safety first approach, is appalling. And people should stop excusing Dyche. As I have said before, I have never seen a manager pay such little heed to the attacking side of the game. He can't even do the ancient Brian Clough thing of "just give the ball to our better players" as he doesn't play them.

Id like to see a 3421 with Ndiaye/Lindstrom feeding off the CF as well as providing the creativity. McNeil/Garner/Harrison play wide removing the need for fullbacks.

Even if Dyche sticks with a back 4 I'd want to keep the 2 number 10's and remove the wingers in a 4321.
It's the only thing that makes sense with our fullback options

Not replacing Godfrey was a mistake
Young can't play again surely and Coleman/Patterson spend most of their time injured these days

I think we've had a decent window so far but if we don't strengthen FB positions or switch it to 3atb we're in trouble

Reckon the teams coming up this year are a lot better than last year and the likes of forest etc will be better

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back